Author Topic: Passwords and login information  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Passwords and login information
« on: June 01, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Okay -- here's today's mea culpa from the head handlebar holder of landracing.com.  I've twice been asked - in just the past few days -- to help someone that's lost or forgot his password and login information.  I don't know how to dig it up for any of you -- my control board doesn't seem to let me do it (which is dandy with me -- it keeps you all that much more secure from my intrusions.  But it doesn't allow me to help out if you get in a bind.

Do any of you folks have a way to dig out your password -- that I could tell others in this situation how to do?  Both times the person has also been posed a "special question" -- but didn't remember the correct answer, either.

How do you do it?  If not -- what do you do -- register all over again?

Thanks.  It's all of 43 degrees here in Skandia, and there's frost in tonight's forecast -- our first frost in almost two nights (Saturday overnight it got down to 27F).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Passwords and login information
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »
Jon, I meant to get back to you. It was really easy. I went to the place where you log in and there was a place to click if you forgot your password. I had mine emailed to me in a matter of minutes. Pretty slick.  :lol: Wayno

landracing

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
First, I would not encourage re-registering for people who can not remember their password. This causes duplicate entries for the same person and most times the system will not allow you to register again with the same email address.

There is a page when you login to send you your password via email on the login page. You must be logged out to see this page.
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=reminder

This sends you a temp password to get into the system under your username, then the user must go into his profile and setup a new password of his choosing.

Now there is a situation when you have forgotten your password AND you have changed email addresses which sending it to that email does NO good. So its important that you regularly check your profile information and make sure its up to date.

SSS can reset your password for you, but this should be a LAST resort, all other avenues should be done first before emailing the administrator... I have emailed SSS the procedure for this.

JonAmo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:15:09 PM by landracing »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »
Thanks, Jon.  I did get your PM -- will place it in my "landracing.com" folder for future reference.

And -- congratulations again, Dad (to-be).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Lucky13

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:17:36 PM »
I am one of the aforementioned idiots who has forgotten all and for this I am truly sorry, every bit as sorry as SSS says I am :(

My only excuse is that I have been away for a couple of years tending to things of less importance than land racing <sigh>

Please accept my most sincere apology.

Sincerely "Lucky"