Author Topic: Current specs up to par?  (Read 4890 times)

Offline DeckManDubs

• New folks
Current specs up to par?
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
I am planning on attending this year with my 1993 VW Corrado. In 2007 I took the car down the Bonneville Salt Flats as part of the road rally I was participating in. Last year I put in an Autopower 4pt Roll bar and Schroth 4pt harnesses in order to participate in local track days and to stiffen up the chassis of the car.

So my question one is : Will the 4pts and Roll bar be sufficient for say 150-160mph? Or will I have to switch over to some 5pts?
Question 2 is : The current setup is a supercharged 6cyl with an Air/Water intercooler setup with the reservoir in the back of the car. I have been told some tech inspections wont allow this style system and that I should switch over to an Air/Air intercooler setup.

Ordering my rule book on Monday, but any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Noah

The car

Roll bar setup

Offline dickj

Re: Current specs up to par?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:39:29 PM »
Deck,

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure you'll get it answered quite soon.  What I would like to do, though, is compliment you on a really nice looking ride.  Although I'm basically a "muscle car type of guy", I've owned everything from Alfas to Porsches, and you've got one fine, fun-looking car. Track days, Salt Flats, Loring - hey, it doesn't get any better than that, and you can even haul groceries and if necessary, stick a baby car seat in the back (get a Simpson if you do that) LoL.  Really nice car! I look forward to seeing it up close in July.

DickJ
In East Texas

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:48:34 PM »
Regarding the roll cage, there's a similar topic on these LTA forums from a Vette guy, most of it applies to your car, I believe. Basically you need the cage as described in the Rulebook for over 135 mph runs for LTA/09 .  As for the Intercooler tank, I  have my 8 gall air/water tank in the passenger seat area, ran ECTA in '07 and '06, and will run in Maine in August( if I get a chance ).
I'll try to get  a better answer for both these questions up before we leave for Maine on Tuesday, and hopefully more good opinions will be posted here. Ideally, your incoming rulebook will be the most definitive.
Hang in there, thanks for asking, and I hope all of our attendees are as thorough in preparation as you.
Bob Wanner

Offline DeckManDubs

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
Thanks Bob for the insight

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »
In the ECTA rulebook the requirements for a suit are SFI 15 for blown cars under 200. 

The 4 point needs 1/4" plates top and bottom of the floor with minimum 2 bolts.  There is something about the corner bracing.  Dont remember off the top of my head.  There is more to it than that IE tubing size etc..
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »
Noah,

I sent you an email, not sure if it got through.  I live not far from you in Ashfield and could bring my latest rule books ['08 SCTA and '09 ECTA] down and discuss what I know [I'm first to admit not everything] about rules and regulations while you wait for your book.  Over coffee or breakfast or?  Jerry's place?  Wolfie's?  Other?

Erratic schedule here, email works best for contact.

Ed Purinton

ecpurinton@wildblue.net

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
Noah,
Re "Thanks Bob for the insight", did you mean this Insight ? (mine)
 http://www.ecta-lsr.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=0&pos=20

Ed Purinton is a great local source of info for you, I highly recommend taking advantage of his offer to discuss your needs. THANK YOU EDDY !!!!

Bob W

Offline DeckManDubs

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:39:15 PM »
Noah,

I sent you an email, not sure if it got through.  I live not far from you in Ashfield and could bring my latest rule books ['08 SCTA and '09 ECTA] down and discuss what I know [I'm first to admit not everything] about rules and regulations while you wait for your book.  Over coffee or breakfast or?  Jerry's place?  Wolfie's?  Other?

Erratic schedule here, email works best for contact.

Ed Purinton

ecpurinton@wildblue.net

Shot ya an email

Offline DeckManDubs

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 06:03:58 PM »
Noah,
Re "Thanks Bob for the insight", did you mean this Insight ? (mine)
 http://www.ecta-lsr.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=0&pos=20

LOL

Insight - a piece of information

What engine are you running in that Insight?

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »
It has a Acura Integra two liter block , slightly modified, Garret Turbo, Honda  LS 5 speed. Has great potential, needs an owner w/o ADD, as in getting involved/sidetracked in other projects, like the LTA !!!
 It seemed pretty well sorted out (finally) last time up to do demos at Loring, really stable at speed. And, there's enough room to get that big Turbo wound up.

Offline DeckManDubs

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »
Must be pretty fast. GT30/GT35 on that sucker?

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 11:03:38 PM »
42 actually, designed for Bonneville, ultimately. Like I said, one and a half miles should help the top end a bunch.
Going off now, Road trip to Maine tomw
BW

Offline DeckManDubs

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 11:15:53 PM »
Deck,

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure you'll get it answered quite soon.  What I would like to do, though, is compliment you on a really nice looking ride.  Although I'm basically a "muscle car type of guy", I've owned everything from Alfas to Porsches, and you've got one fine, fun-looking car. Track days, Salt Flats, Loring - hey, it doesn't get any better than that, and you can even haul groceries and if necessary, stick a baby car seat in the back (get a Simpson if you do that) LoL.  Really nice car! I look forward to seeing it up close in July.

DickJ
In East Texas

Thanks for the complements. The salt flats were fun even though the alignment was messed up when I bent a wheel outside of Denver, doing the  Iowa City to Vegas in a 21 hour drive through the night. Being able only to change the oil, plugs and rotate the tires in Vegas at a friends house prior to taking off to Wendover...Long story short car was hard to keep in a semi straight line on the salt with the skewed alignment so I only felt safe pulling off 137mph.

Anything in the 150-170 range will satisfy me for the time being...

42 actually, designed for Bonneville, ultimately. Like I said, one and a half miles should help the top end a bunch.
Going off now, Road trip to Maine tomw
BW
Wow 42 is a big sucker...Cant wait to see your setup in action.

2007 Salt Flats

Fastest car of the day
187mph

Fellow Mass resident on his bike did 150ish from what I remember

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:24:02 PM by DeckManDubs »

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
In order to get a 150 sticker you need sfi 5pt belts, the autopower 4pt bar is ok as long as it is mounted with 6X6 plates, 1/8" if welded, 1/4 if bolted.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro