Author Topic: Muncie Modifacations  (Read 1954 times)

Offline rebelce

Muncie Modifacations
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
Howdy Gents,   We're building up the trans and would like some input.   I picked up a Muncie M20 to rebuild for my Jimmy powered XO/GR.  We'll be rebuilding it with an M21 gear set, roller first and a roller bearing on the yoke. Because it will be dedicated to Bonneville, I am contemplating removing all of the reverse assembly, as it looks like parasitic drag to me and parts left out don't brake.  The question came up,    Would that hurt the splash oiling to first and the rear bearing?   Just wondering if any of you had experience with Muncies and had any more to offer.

Thanks,  Ar

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Muncie Modifacations
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »
Armond, Why don't you dry sump it like your differential?  Cut the bottom and weld a flange to  the case to bolt the sump, add a kick out to  the side where the oil would splash the case and put a oiling rail. Kind how the corvette was at LeMans. If I have some pictures of it I will post them.  I built a far more complicated system for a Liberty box and it was not that hard. Tony
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:51:49 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
Armond,

I was planning on running a Muncie in my Roadster until I found out that without clearancing the gears that they tend to sieze when run over 150 MPH for extended periods, like in LSR.

I talked with one of the best manual trans guys in this area and he confirmed what I had heard. Better lubrication to the gears could probably solve the problem.

BW Super T-10's don't have that problem and offer more gear selections. Just a thought.

Tom

Offline rebelce

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »
It was my understanding that it is the first gear bushing that seizes to the mainshaft.  That's the reason for the roller first.  Some people have locked their trans up using the wrong fluid or not enough of it. I've never heard of increasing the clearance on the gears themselves.  This is something to ponder with the fellow who is helping with the trans.  Thanks. I wonder if Super T-10's have a rollerized first gear?