Author Topic: Altered class  (Read 3443 times)

Offline tekebird

Altered class
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »
I do not see any limitations on entering a more or less production or modified bike in the altered class  am I correct in that interpretation?

it only states that the special construction class is intended for purpose built race bikes.

It states that the class includes factory produced race bikes or any other "works" model, but does not seem to have any mention of limitations or restrictions

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Altered class
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:26:51 PM »
Not sure about ECTA, but SCTA says that a bike that would run in 'M' that has a seat and/or handlebars that are lower that the top of the tires, and wasn't produced that way, gets thrown into 'A'
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:20:20 AM »
 The general interpretation is that if the bike meets the Modified requirements it must run in that class. To make a M bike into an A change the wheelbase by over 10%, the fuel tank size to less than 5l, the seat height to lower than the top of the rear tire, or the footpegs less than 6" from the rear axle. Also you can extend the fender pass the edge of the rear tire. Do one of the above and you get an "A". 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:38:41 AM by Larry Forstall »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »
2 engines would do it too                    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline tekebird

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »
Don;t really understand the allowance of some of the mods to allow A class run.  What is the thinking behind 5L or less fuel tank vs the stock for example?  Stock capacity fuel tank I would think would just be a handicap for the M bike running in A...No?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »
sorry everyone for posting here   i didnt realize that this was a ecta thread              willie buchta
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:05:52 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline tekebird

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
I understand that.  but "intended" is a interpretable term.

The displacement classification is obviously "intended" for any one displacement engine, yet you can run a 250 in the 100 cc class if you like. 

Upclassing is only putting a handicap on the person upclassing IMHO.

removing my fuel tank and adding a smaller capacity tank or adding a 2" pice of sheetmetal or plastic to my rear fender would put my M bike into the A class 

I am just trying to grasp/understand not allowing upclassing between P M and A

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 09:02:49 PM »
 willie buchta                     
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:28:34 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »
Back to the reasoning behind the small-only fuel tank size in Altered:  It started in the SCTA rules, I believe.  Think of it this way -- such a small tank would be difficult to live with on a bike that's ridden on the street (Sportsters notwithstanding!), but the 1 1/3 gallons (or less) should be enough to run at Bonneville.  That's the reason.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                           willie buchta                                                                   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:23:50 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Yes, your'e right, Willie.  The ECTA rules are morphing towards the SCTA ones, though.  A couple of years ago ECTA allowed just about any up-class changes -- from smaller motor (starting at base class) to 3001+, from modified to altered, even up to streamliner.  Not any more.

The reasons for allowing so much latititude have been discussed ad infinitum and have their own merits -- but today's rules aren't the same ones as last year.  Stay tuned.  And read your rulebook for the venue where you'll race.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com