Author Topic: Mazda transmission strength  (Read 5434 times)

Offline hitz

Mazda transmission strength
« on: June 18, 2005, 02:15:14 PM »
I'm in the process of finding a transmission to mate on the rear of a Saturn 1.9 DOHC. I've looked at Ford T-5 and now a '83 Mazda 2200 that was given to me. The Mazda trans. is a wide ratio and has a 5th gear OD that is approximately .75:1. I don't have a T5 trans. and this is a low budget, high labor project.  :roll:
   Mounting the transmission and clutch assembly for rear drive is going to be the the toughest part of this project for me and I don't want to do it with a transmission thats too light for 250 HP in a 1800# lakester.
  I'd appreciate any information on the Mazda transmission or input on the rear drive conversion on the Saturn engine.

Thanks Harvey

John Beckett

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 06:01:44 PM »
Well, for my two cents, I wouldn?t be looking at any wide ratio transmission or one with OD for LSR.

Forget the T-5.

But...as for the Mazda deal...if you can run a close ratio trans out of, perhaps an RX-7, I have seen guys take the OD gear out of a PU truck (about .85 ratio) and it will fit in the close ratio case. Much better deal. Should be plenty in the junk yards.

For all the work involved with adapting a Saturn engine to a Mazda trans you could probably adapt a T-10 4-speed just as easily.

JB

Offline hitz

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 12:58:37 AM »
John, Thanks. for the info. I have a truck transmission so I hope you are right on the ratio of the OD. .85:1 will make a better jump from direct. I just checked the OD ratio with chalk marks and 1st gear checked out about 3.5:1 by the same method. I thought I would try to start without a push truck and the under square NA Saturn should have enough suds to pull it through the gears OK. It may never see 5th the first year out. The engine will be stock internals with only intake and exhaust modifications. I am going to try to have it done by Speed Week'06 and check out the car handling and get a little seat time. By Speed Week '07 I should have a serious engine. As serious as a NA Saturn and limited budget can get.

I'll look into a 4 speed. It would be easier to make a steel clutch housing from scratch than use the integral aluminum Mazda housing and then a scatter shield. Thanks for the input. Harv

John Beckett

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 11:08:23 AM »
An SCCA guy who runs Mazda RZ-7's told me about the transmission. His cars are mid to late 80's models and I assume the truck trans is early to mid 80's.

Now getting all that to fit a Saturn is the biggest problem. You have to have a scatter shield anyway. So why not just take some ?? x 6? strap and roll it into a sufficient circle to enclose the clutch and flywheel, and make a necessary adapter. Then you can bolt on a T-10 (or better yet a T-101 or Jerico) 4-speed. There are probably 50+ different ratios available for these transmissions and they won?t break or give you problems even if you decide to add a turbo three or four years down the road.

And if you need OD (which for the life of me I can?t see why you would) Richmond  ?Super Duty? T-10?s have them around .95, .88, .86, and I?m sure there are others as well for the T-101 and Jerico?s.

What rear end (brand / style) do you plan to use?

JB

Offline hitz

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 01:12:44 AM »
John,
  I would love to have one of the transmissions that you mentioned and a 9" Ford differential with 2:50 gearing but I have a 8" Ford with 2.79 gears. The engine as it sits, runs to 6700 rpm and I plan on running 28" tires. Poor people have poor ways. :(
  I'm a couple of months away from setting the engine if every thing goes well so I have time to look for another transmission and a 9" housing. A friend has a 2.50 pumpkin I can have if I can come up with a housing. Back to the Pick and Pull.
  If I can have a running car with all of the safety equipment by Speed Week '06 and it goes 125 mph, I'll be satisfied. If it goes 150 mph. I'll be elated (and suprised). I am really enjoying building this car. If it doesn't go 200 mph in '07, I may be a little disappointed. I do know it takes money to go fast.
 Thanks for your advice. I think it's sound.
  Harv

John Beckett

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:43:26 AM »
Ultimately your gonna want a QC. Start saving your pennies. Their really not much more than a well prepared 9".

But for now a 2.79 rear gear, 28" tires, 6700 RPM + 200.119 MPH.
7000 RPM = 209.080 MPH. So why do we need an OD?

JB

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Transmissions and rear gears:
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:29:21 AM »
Hitzaina,
I go with Jon, skip the O.D. transmission and go for a 1:1 top gear ratio tranny and do it all with the rear gear. With a small motor like your Saturn you can use some of the "new" old style quick changes that are out now. I was at the LA Roadsters Fathers Day show last week end and several of the new AV-8 style QCs were on sale there, your looking at around $1300 for the casting less gears and axles and side bells, so it is easy to get $2500 into one before you roll a wheel. On my street roadster I converted the axels to full floating with some Coleman Racing race car hubs, got the side bells from my neighbor and the axles are from Coleman racing. I have a tool to convert the end bells to the Coleman IMCA configuration hubs and I can make the track just about anything that you want for width, so if you want to go that way let me know and I can probably help.

What size are you going to make your motor? 120 cube?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline hitz

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 12:51:17 AM »
Rex,

I'm going to leave the engine at 1.9L-116 cu.in. for now. I've been concentrating on the frame now and have just about got the steering and frame wrapped up to the back of the cage. The frame o.d. will be 24" in the back and the body will be 25" at the differential. This will give just enough room to mount the 8"FORD diff on the axle tubes. Winters make a 8" QC but I haven't had time to research it yet.I know that the center section is small enough. The AV 8 QC I know would fit, I'll look into that  
also. Shame to hide one of those.

Thanks for the input. Harv

John Beckett

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 06:59:00 AM »
Joe Timney sells the Winters QC from $1,200 (HD) to $1,300 (V-8) complete. Got one of the V-8's in my car. He has an ad in the current issue of BRN,

When your going to different venues (Bonneville, El-Mirage, Maxton) or from Gas to Fuel or stepping up to more HP or changing engines altogether you can?t beat the advantage of being able to pick the correct gear for about $60/70 a set.

JB