Author Topic: Speedway Frames  (Read 2672 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
Speedway Frames
« on: June 01, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »
Hey all!
  I don't know if you are familiar with CCRs ( Covenents, Codes, and Restrictions ) Basicly it is a very small printing at the bottom of my deed. It states that I can have all the HAM antennas I want on my property, but I can't do welding in my shop. ( I bought the place so I could put up my antennas.) OH WELL!
  Since I can't weld in my shop... Neighbor complained... I will shift my project to plan "B". I am looking through the Speedway catalog, and they have frames for sale... Can I use one of there frames? I don't know what type of material they use, or if it is of a wall thickness that is legal.
  Anybody got some dope on these frames? Are they legal? Sure would be nice to mark that part of the project off the list!
  Thanks.....  Smitty

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Re: Speedway Frames
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
Check with Lincoln of welding fame they have some pretty good ideas on how to kill the RF and EMI from a TIG welder and i bet it works on most any welder..
 Does your deed say welding specifically or does it say you can't do anything to mess up niebors TV etc. That is standard anywhere usually they don't mention welding specifically
 Dave

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 01:28:00 AM »
Hi Dave.
  Since my last post I have had my lawyer go over the paperwork, and basicly states that I can't do any type of manufactoring business on my property.. That's okay with me since I'm not making any money off of my projects. I can do all of the "Hobby" stuff I want to! I also found out who made the original complaint, and invited him over to check out my shop. After all was said and done I ended up fixing his flag pole for him (I never charged him a penny for the work!). Seems he saw the arc flash from the welder, and thought I was building utility trailers for a living! I don't think I will have any problems with the old boy as long as I have some cold ones in the fridge when he "Pops in".
  As far as the Speedway frames go I'm not sure they have the wall thickness that I need. It means I will have to drive a few hours to get the tubing I need, but that's part of the fun isn't it?
  As far as RF goes... I pump out 1500 watts with the ham radio at times and not one neighbor has complained about that.. we are all on cable here plus I use ferrite chokes on every piece of wire in the house... Just to be sure  ;)
  I never thought that building a "Simple Hot Rod" would turn out to be such a monumental task.. When I was 25 and single I could have had this together faster than Monster Garage! Somewhere along the way I got slowed down. In the end though I will get this done, or be buried in it.

Thanks for the help Dave...    Smitty

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »
Smitty, I'm glad you worked out with your neighbor. I lite off my fuel burner once a year before Bonneville and have lived in the same place for 33 years. It's usually on a saturday and I normally get an applause after the 10 minutes. Half a dozen normally come over and 20# fire extinguisher is always standing in the driveway.  They don't even complain when I paint one now and then. The best thing is how much stuff I've fixed for them over the years, never charging a soul. Good neighbors are a pleasure. I like to share "factory frame" info with you. The ones I've inspected over the many years have always needed very extensive rework. Some of the aftermarket "body" manufacturers think they know what we use and sell some pretty inferior stuff. Others meet someone elses specs but not ours. We also have some excellent roadster/lakester/liner chassis builder in our own ranks and I suggest them when asked. My personal roadster was originally built in 1970 and has gone thru 3 complete rebuilds because of safety and rules. Today it is best to "overbuild" your car. If I were building a roadster today I would build it to take a blown fuel 500 incher for 300mph so I could sell it very easily when done. The difference in costs would be very little in the long run.  Good Luck. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro