Author Topic: Steering Stem Offset  (Read 10899 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Steering Stem Offset
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
Bob:  Good point about what the inspectors do and don't check, many items of which are safety-related.  For instance -- I noticed that at Bub's the inspectors check for loose head bearings.  We don't have that requirement in ECTA/SCTA inspections, although the pre-stage crew at Maxton does make an effort to give each bike's handlebars a good wiggle to see if the bearings are loose/worn. 

I guess it's up to the inspector to think of things that are not listed -- while keeping the inspection both complete enough to offer a good chance of safety - yet brief enough that inspection is completed in a relatively prompt manner.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »
bob  that looks good on paper--BUT who will decide  you the no rake guy--or me the lots of rake guy--i think most of us understand what works for us but im not sure if we understand what works for someone else ---last year the scta passed the 15 degree right 15 degree left 30 degree total rule the problem is they have no way to measure it ---the tech guy eyeballs it--then in 09 the 10 percent sidecar weight rule-- no way to measure that either --last time i went through tech the tech guy lifted my sidecar wheel --  www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5700.0.html     there is a cheap way to do that---those are just 2 examples of written rules --written very clear --but not really enforced--could you imagine what would happen if the tech inspector didnt like the rake that your bike had or the length of your swingarm or anything else that makes this sport a truely UNIQUE INDIVIDUAL EFFORT ---no thanks  i will go back to long distance riding or drag racing  

and while im here let me say this---dont let the "professionals' scare you into believing that you cant build something to race ---because you can---with a little research and a few skills anyone can build a safe vehicle to race --even if you pay someone to build it for you DO THE RESEARCH and make them build what you want---i have a policy in my shop i wont build anything that i wouldnt ride --what works for one may not work for others ---see you all on the salt i hope  willie buchta
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:17:29 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 12:19:51 AM »
A few replies ago it was brought to my attention that I was using non-American measuring units.  Pardon me for the transgression.  Genuine American units are included in the following conversion table, for the benefit of our overseas racers, Yankees, Californians that do not live in the Central Valley, and other esteemed foreigners.

Distance:

A frog's hair, as in "Its as fine as a frog's hair."  The shortest distance.
An RCH.  About 0.0005 inches or 0.013 mm
A CH.  Usually 0.001 inches or 0.025 mm
A smidgen.  Exactly 1/16 inch or 1.5 mm
A stone's throw.  About 50 yards or 45 meters
A rifle shot.  200 yards or 175 meters
A day's ride.  15 to 20 miles.  20 to 30 km.

Time:

Three shakes of a monkey's tail.  5 minutes, more or less.
A coon's age.  Approximately 15 years.
I'll get around to doing it when I get around to doing it.  A long time.  Same in metric or English system.
When ___ freezes over.  A longer time than a long time.

Direction:

Down yonder.  The direction the pointer is pointing.
Dogleg.  The route is not a straight line.

Genuine time-tested measurement units.  None better for precision work.