Author Topic: Safety and Cleanup  (Read 6323 times)

Offline greenjunk

Safety and Cleanup
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
What plans are in place for oil downs, because I'm thinking there will be many?  :-D

Also what safety crews will be on site, and if something should happen, what is the nearest hospital, trauma center?  Are we going to Canada, do we need passports?  I know no one like to talk about this, but I would like to have the details for my wife, should it be neccesary.
Thanks.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Bob Wanner

Re: Safety and Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »
 Don't know what your reasoning is that there should be many oil downs, I assume because  of the longer distance and added stress on the drivetrain ?
I have faith in our LSR crowd, they'll make any necessary alterations. 
The Limestone FD takes care of Emergency response, and  if necessary transport to nearby Caribou's Hospital.   
The Loring Timing Association track is in Maine, totally within the United States of America. Due North of the runway end about 6 or so miles is Canada,  so I'd recommend a fresh set of pads on all corners, especially if you are wanted up there.
We pattern our operation after the ECTA, our procedures for both racing and Safety are at least as stringent, especially at our inaugural event.
Relax, it's safer than the Interstate,fer sure.
BOB W ...

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:21:23 PM »
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
Don't know what your reasoning is that there should be many oil downs, I assume because  of the longer distance and added stress on the drivetrain ?
The Limestone FD takes care of Emergency response, and  if necessary transport to nearby Caribou's Hospital.   
The Loring Timing Association track is in Maine, totally within the United States of America. Due North of the runway end about 6 or so miles is Canada,  so I'd recommend a fresh set of pads on all corners, especially if you are wanted up there.
We pattern our operation after the ECTA, our procedures for both racing and Safety are at least as stringent, especially at our inaugural event.
BOB W ...
When it comes to safety, and racing at the speeds my vehicle travels at, I don't ever relax.
As far as the oil downs go, at least one motor a meet goes at Maxton,usually at the 3/4-1mile marker, so that could be a 3/4 mile oil down by the time the motor finally dies, then as much as a half mile to get it stopped.  Thats a lot of oil.  I've done a lot of oil dry shuffles, and have caused a few, thats the only reason why I ask.  I will be sending in my pre-entry next week, and some friends are trying to get a 2nd and possible 3rd car ready Save us some lobster :cheers:  Thanks Bob,

Dave Matyjasik
200mph "Time Bomb" Camaro
Green Hat: Check
Moose Cap: tbd...
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Warp12

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »
BOB W ...

Does this mean that paramedics and fire/rescue are on site, or responding from a local dispatch? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'd like to verify. Thanks.

Shane

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »
The Limestone Fire Dept will have both an Ambulance and a Crash Rig type Fire Truck parked trackside during all racing.
Midway of the track, about 3800 ft north of the start, will be our clean up crew.  Most of the people on this topic thread will  be shanghaied to work this purely volunteer operation.
Bob Wanner , Conscription Officer, Aaargh...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
Bob, something to think about the SCTA emergency trailer has 8 JAZ products 5 gal. gas cans (large lid) that we keep filled with oil dry in, they are easy to handle and 2 or 3 can be spreading and the broom gang can follow. we also have about 10, 5 gallon buckets to put the used oil dry in.
Just something to think about and speed up clean ups.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:42:27 PM »
Hi Timer Guy !
As long as we're on this topic, what is the soaker-upper DuJour this year ? I've had suggestions including the usual commercial types, plus rice hulls, and off the wall suggestions that may not have been entirely serious. We are new here, want to do it right the first time, so all ideas will be considered. It's all about doing it quickly and safely, getting the surface back to speed fast. Preferably without dozens of volunteers doing that chain gang shuffle.
Glen, your input is a privilege for us , Thank You.
Bob Wanner (one of his fans)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
Bob, we use standard oil sorb like kitty litter, the drag strips use rice hull on the paved track. Something to think about is a couple of weed blowers, use the 110 volt type with a small generator and 100 ft. ext cord to do the final clean up. They cost a few bucks but really speed things up after the sweep down.
Thanks for the kind words.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
I have access to three backback blowers , rated the most powerful in volume, and a lot more portable than  your average girly electrics.  Two strokes, run on race gas, ( I did learn something running my old Snowmobile motored K/GL ).
 Glen,if I get you a Gloucester fisherman slicker , would you attend ?
Bob W

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
For fishing or racing,lol
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Chris Durepo

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
Hi Bob and to all racers head north soon to Loring. I am a full time firefighter/EMT at the Loring station. We are planning to do some additional training in the upcoming weeks that I am organizing. I’m wondering if you could give me a call so we could discuses what types of roll cage, metals and fuels we will be seeing at the track. Our guys area super stoked to have such a great event in our town and can’t wait to see turnout. Call the Loring station 207-328-4108 and they will give you my cell number.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »
Hi Chris,
Always good to hear from fire & rescue personnel before they are needed... you're our favorite people we hope not to meet (at least not in an impromptu manner).

Excellent that you want to know more about the things you can run across if your needed, I'm sure we all commend you on that alone.

I spoke with Jesse at the station but he said they didn't have your number and gave me the Dev. Auth. number, where no one picked up.

I would like to talk to you briefly about the motorcyclist's end of things (and also help direct you to proper answers if you have questions on anything bike related).

You can call me at 540-657-8481 and ask for Todd (let whoever answers know it's race related, or leave your number if you get the recorder and I'll be glad to call you back on my dime).

Thanks for joining the forum here and speaking up... without you, we don't race!
Todd

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 06:28:57 PM »
Chris,
You can call me at my shop 9 to 5 daily. 302.378.3013 EST I can answer all tubing questions.
Joe Timney
President
ECTA
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Lauren O

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »