Author Topic: Adequate Brakes???  (Read 12848 times)

Offline will6er

Re: Adequate Brakes???
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:18:47 PM »
Magnetic Resistance Braking ???

Would this be similar to electric trailer brakes?

Will

Offline John Burk

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 12:29:20 AM »
However you stop , inertia turns into hot air . The quicker it happens the faster you stop . Carbon rotors heat air quickly because they get so hot . Parachutes are the best brakes because they heat the air directly .

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 12:41:43 AM »
These are the exchanges I truly enjoy  - a good mix between technical knowledge and a wonderful sense of humor :)
Michael
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

McRat

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 12:59:39 AM »
Magnetic Resistance Braking ???

Would this be similar to electric trailer brakes?

Will

Nope.  Timed electromagnets and permanent magnets retard the wheel, IIRC.  There is an amusement park ride, "Superman" that is about 10 years old that uses this to accelerate the carts and then stop them.  Well, maybe.

Shortly after the ride opened up, my wife and I and another couple went to go on Superman.  It accelerated us smoothly up to about 100mph (I'm guessing), then you coast with the carts pointed straight up into the sky.  You slow to a stop, then coast back down at about the same speed backwards.  When you enter the boarding area, the magnetic drive is supposed to slow you down and stop you.  We felt a jolt as we came blasting into the building backwards, then WHOOSH!  We blew through the emergency doors backwards at maybe 75mph.  A large spring like you see in railroad yards jolted up to a stop.  They hooked up a winch and slowly drug us back into the building.

My wife and her friend were petrified.  Doug and I were grinning.  They asked everyone to get out of the cart, but Doug and I protested, since we didn't get the "full treatment".  After a bit of debate they let us be human guinea pigs again.  This time it worked correctly, stopping us quickly and smoothly without the extra 100' of drama.

It's probably a great technology, but I'm a bit sceptical.  I have a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) that uses a linear magnetic drive much the same way, and it is currently busted and the company stopped making that type of drive mechanism.  I'm going to retrofit to conventional servomotor drive when I get really bored.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:02:18 AM by McRat »

Offline jl222

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 04:30:40 PM »

While watching drag race qualifying Sat they had an interview with Ron Capps about the carbon fiber FRONT brakes on his funny car.
 Is this a requriment now?

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »
It is on funny cars. We put 4 wheel carbon/carbon brakes on the Vesco streamliner last year worked great. Maybe down the road they May be required at El Mirage.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »
A pinion mounted brake spins at engine RPM with a 1:1 high gear and faster with overdrive! I don't know if carbon or steel would be best. If you do run a pinion mounted brake put a scatter shield around it.
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
And what happens when the pinion shaft is broken or the gears stripped. Hope the chute works. The heat generated by a pinion brake is not in the best place if there are any fluids or oil mist in that area. Something to think about.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
Old thread I know but isn't Burklands car using a pinion mounted brake?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
As I recall the front was pinion and the rear has inboard axle mounted. Ray the rat posted some pictures of this car a couple of years ago. Look in the photo archives.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
As I recall the front was pinion and the rear has inboard axle mounted. Ray the rat posted some pictures of this car a couple of years ago. Look in the photo archives.

thanks Glen, I will look at Rays pictures :-)

Offline fastman614

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
How heavy is your car?...... We have stopped our lakester (from about 275 mph) at Bonneville in less than 2 miles using Ford 12 X 2 3/4 drum brakes on the rear only..... the car with driver in it, weighs about 2800 lbs.... the Vega takes a litle longer from 250+ though.... but it weighs 5000 lbs
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
ditto 3300# 230 with stock ford drums and shoes at B'ville with 2300# on the rear slightly less than 2 miles
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
How heavy is your car?...... We have stopped our lakester (from about 275 mph) at Bonneville in less than 2 miles using Ford 12 X 2 3/4 drum brakes on the rear only..... the car with driver in it, weighs about 2800 lbs.... the Vega takes a litle longer from 250+ though.... but it weighs 5000 lbs

Thanks for the input. Got a note from Burklands. They have the pinion brake in back and TWO brakes in front. From what I have learned from this thread, Glen,Burklands etc is that we want the backup if needed. We are running a QC with Howe hubs mated to GM disks. My concern was the big ugly calipers and rotors hanging in the breeze. I would gladly run drums but the last time they were common was late 50s and I would also need to find hubs. I think we will just get creative and run the disks, safe to say mo brake is bette than none with a broken lower shaft! Thanks. Trent

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
With Dallas in keeping with the jovial portion and spirit of the rules. This wouild be my rulebook qoute.

"All vehicles should have an adequate brake system to safely unload and reload the car from and to the trailer; all other stopping should be at the drivers risk" :cheers:....JD

PS: after you loose a chute you quickly formulate a new plan..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro