Author Topic: Brake Line's  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Jerry O

Brake Line's
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
This may be a dumb question but here goes anyway. When building a new car I like to use P-clamps with the rubber shielding to mount my brake lines. I usually weld small tab's on the frame for the mounting points. Well due to poor planning and getting in a hurry, I did not put enough mounting tabs on my frame to secure the brake lines. Since the frame is already painted I really don't want to weld on the frame. What I would like to do at this point is to just drill and tap 10-32 holes in about four places in the chassis for my mounting points. What I need to know is this going to present a problem with tech. This is a all tube frame for a streamliner and the threaded holes will be in the lower portion of a couple vertical upright bars in the main driver area. Not in the actual roll cage. Any info will be a great help.....JerryO

Blue

Re: Brake Line's
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
This may be a dumb question but here goes anyway. When building a new car I like to use P-clamps with the rubber shielding to mount my brake lines. I usually weld small tab's on the frame for the mounting points. Well due to poor planning and getting in a hurry, I did not put enough mounting tabs on my frame to secure the brake lines. Since the frame is already painted I really don't want to weld on the frame. What I would like to do at this point is to just drill and tap 10-32 holes in about four places in the chassis for my mounting points. What I need to know is this going to present a problem with tech. This is a all tube frame for a streamliner and the threaded holes will be in the lower portion of a couple vertical upright bars in the main driver area. Not in the actual roll cage. Any info will be a great help.....JerryO
Ooooh, please do not drill structure for simple attachments.  I can't speak for the tech inspectors in LSR, but we didn't allow this in motorcycle road racing (no roll cages!) on structural elements.  There are MUCH simpler and high quality ways to do this without the induced stress of a tapped hole:

Tubing and plumbing parallel: wrap one ty-wrap around both and before you tighten it wrap a second one between the frame and the plumbing.

Tubing and plumbing at right angles: wrap one ty-wrap around the tube and one around the plumbing with the ty-wraps interwoven.

Any angle: use two "p" clamps, one on the tubing and one on the plumbing with a common bolt through both.

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »
Thanks Blue for your responce. I guess I knew that drilling the holes was not the right way to go, I think I was wanting someone to tell me NO!!.  Getting a little lazy I quess and not thinking things out. I don't like using Ty-wraps to mount brake lines but I do like your idea of using two P-clamps. I have designed and built every part on this car. Not sure why a simple thing like this challenged me.  Thats why I like to ask for others opinions, even when I really know the answer. Thanks again for your input and help  ....JerryO

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »
When I run into something like that I'll often ask the question, even to someone who isn't a builder. I find that often they start to look at something a little differently and while their idea may not be practical it will stimulate my brain into figuring out the solution. Other times I'll use other experienced people. Either way it's called brainstorming and it definitely works.

Pete

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:21 PM »
jerry you will be fine.... just look at the hole placement for the possibility of salt water intrusion..... zip ties? right! yep i bet blue has em all over his personal aircraft don't cha blue ?
kent

Offline will6er

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
Jerry O-

You could drill and tap holes for your clamps in 2-piece shaft collars and mount this assembly on your tubing.

Will