Author Topic: Mini Moto  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Mini Moto
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »
I've seen some neat and weird bike pictures from the years past, but I've yet to see a youth sized bike used.  I've seen adults race them on motocross tracks and alot of people use them for pit bikes.  Change out the wheels & tires for larger ones and change the rake & trail.  Bad idea?  85mph at Bonneville or 63mph at Maxton?

I figured out how to get a liquid cooled 65cc 2-stroke 6-speed down to 50cc.  I could run M/G with it.  That would give me some time to figure out the engine and design a frame for M/G and then in the future S/G.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:15:43 AM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline sockjohn

Re: Mini Moto
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:24:14 AM »
Check your rule book on wheel size.

I would think a KX 100 would be probably the smallest you could get the wheel size and appropriate rubber on.  Depending on your height it would be a ride able bike with some mods (I'm 6 foot and have ridden a friends nephews bike, it was ride able but a bit of "clown on a little bike" look to it)

Cheap bikes used though, kids outgrowing and growing tired of them all the time.

I would buy the motor and put it in another frame if it were me though. 

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »
I'm 5' 10" around 150#, so I'd be about the size of the bike!  I was looking at using Goodyear Front Runners.  17" X 2.5" wheel size which would get me past the minimum.  I'm looking to do a custom frame for A/G but maybe that's just where I should start.

This is what I was thinking, a three step process  http://www.50cc-land-speed-racing.com/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:57:40 PM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »
Back to basics, stud.

Phil York rode a 50cc Honda 99 MPH on straight nitro and that was about 35 years ago.

He has the AMA record certification sheet signed by Earl Flanders, the AMA referee.

Dream on.

FREUD
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:49:53 AM by Freud »
Since '63