Author Topic: Diesel Truck Discussion  (Read 23146 times)

McRat

Re: Diesel Truck Discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2009, 07:51:08 PM »
You seem to miss my point. The bitch from Pat has been that Curtis's truck is not going to be legal and should not be. I do not care if he runs the Gear Vendors but it's not a production part. So if you want a strict guideline it does not meet Production. Curtis has quoted the numbers above and I've pointed out just one model of a Production Sport Truck that came with a diesel onboard. There are several more if you do a little digging, so it's nothing new. Pat just chooses to ignore the facts. Now are you going to tell me that no one that LSR races ever increases the engine size beyond the OEM factory engine? Isn't that just why you need to pick the class based on engine size? That's the way I read the rules anyways. So when Pat puts in his stroked motor does that mean he is no longer a production diesel............... I think not, just the engine class changes. So with the Stock displacement 6.6L you fall into B/DT. As for Bank's not being in the record book I do not believe they ran at the SCTA event, as I recall it was a FIA event they set there record at.

Just keeping a copy.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »
In Oct. 2002 at the world finals Banks set a BNI record and a FIA record. The BNI record was 213.583 mph, This was in C/DT. The same meet in the flyings mile they ran 217.314 in the flying mile and a Kilo time of 350.012 kph. They were done on separate runs.
This was Catorgary B-Group  lll- Class 17 - Diesel engine.

I was the chief timer at that time and timed all of their runs.

Spal, broke the BNI record in Aug. 2007 wit a speed of 215.091 mph in C/DT
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:01 PM »
Glen, so they were C/DT due to the motor size being 5.9L?

Curtis will be B/DT due to his 6.6L displacement all within the rules as they are today! Then if he installs a "C" classification motor he will run C/DT and so on for various engine displacements the way I understand the rules.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »

pg 82 - 5.F.4 Diesel Truck -/DT
"This class is intended to represent typical diesel pickup trucks..."

Just to clear the air on this line of the rulebook, S-10 trucks at times were available in the US during their production run with a 2.2L Isuzu Diesel. Most of these were used by fleets as they were about 80hp and quite a slug. S-10s were also available in other countries with diesels and are still being produced in Brazil with a 2.8L Turbo Diesel at 140HP. The word "typical" is open to debate, but it can't be argued that these trucks didn't come with tractor engines.

Curtis

[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:05:38 AM by Dmax65 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »
Steve --

What SCTA calls Production (not what McRat may or may not do) is a far distant thing from what you may think of as Stock.  Even in the old drag racing days Stock was not stock.  And Production isn't what you think of as production.  But that doesn't not make it a category to race under.  Before you go astray, investigate what's allowed in the gas production and production supercharged SCTA classes.

They may be wrong -- but they're what we got.  You're welcome to change them to your opinion or go with them.  Just don't f**k with the roadsters.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 11:48:49 PM »
Stan

I am not looking to change anything at all. The rules are fine the way they are but some want to twist around what is already in the rule book. The Sport Truck or mini  truck already comes with a diesel engine and I've pointed that out, many times. As far as I can see there is no rule about changing the engine size other than you have to pick the right class for your engine size. All this BS is because one person want things his way and not the way the rules read.  He wants to play with the words of "typical diesel pickup trucks" only to fit what he has, and that's not what it says! Since the factory produces the truck with a diesel engine that's got to fit production diesel truck in my book! If what he wants happens then your going to need a real change to spell out what is and is not going to be allowed when you use the word "Production" in the classification.

This whole debate is only because he doesn't look into the facts and a S-10 with a diesel engine is a factory production truck.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 09:43:12 AM »
didn't you say it was gonna be a mini truck? s-10 or something like that?
kent

Yes Kent it is a S-10....doesn't matter in Diesel Truck as there is no division between full size and mid size trucks like in the Gas Classes. There have been mini trucks holding records in D/T from Chevy Luvs (Hooker Graham Hooker) Spal (Ford Ranger) and Gale Banks (Dodge Dakota). As far as I know the Dakota is the only one that was never available from the factory with a diesel option, but I could be wrong, just haven't found any evidence. The S-10 and Luv Pickup were available with a 2.2L Isuzu diesel and the Ranger was available with a 4cyl diesel which was probably Mazda based.

As the book reads now there is one class for Diesel Trucks. Engine swaps are permitted and engine classes available are from AA to H. Quite a wide range of options available. If the issue is wheather or not a S-10 is a diesel truck, I'll be sure to bring a GM Service Manual with me to tech.
Curtis
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:33:47 AM by Dmax65 »

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »
You seem to miss my point. The bitch from Pat has been that Curtis's truck is not going to be legal and should not be. I do not care if he runs the Gear Vendors but it's not a production part. So if you want a strict guideline it does not meet Production. Curtis has quoted the numbers above and I've pointed out just one model of a Production Sport Truck that came with a diesel onboard. There are several more if you do a little digging, so it's nothing new. Pat just chooses to ignore the facts. Now are you going to tell me that no one that LSR races ever increases the engine size beyond the OEM factory engine? Isn't that just why you need to pick the class based on engine size? That's the way I read the rules anyways. So when Pat puts in his stroked motor does that mean he is no longer a production diesel............... I think not, just the engine class changes. So with the Stock displacement 6.6L you fall into B/DT. As for Bank's not being in the record book I do not believe they ran at the SCTA event, as I recall it was a FIA event they set there record at.

Just keeping a copy.

Pat unlike you I do not change what my post say! A perfect example of how you operate is you accused me of  "Slander" in post #16 in this thread, then I answered you in post #17. So what do you do......... you go back and change your post and remove what you said.

Guys, this is just typical McRat stuff that he has been pulling for years and I can clearly see he is up to his old tricks here. Sorry if you think I am picking on him but his MO has not changing any from his past ways.

McRat

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
Well, if your S-10 body is the same body as the South American diesel S-10 body, then there is nothing left to discuss.  It matches the rulebook.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »
Steve -- please allow us the privilege of making up our minds without further help from you.  I understand you may have inside knowledge -- you know things that might not be known to one and all -- but mud-slinging to argue your point doesn't help the site as much as it brings the entire place down to the level of folks that are arguing.  Please -- now that you've quite loudly made your point about someone -- let it go.  If you feel you need to argue further -- get off the Forum and find another venue for the shouting.  If you've got constructive information about your - or anyone else's racing efforts -- please continue.  We all want to learn.  If Pat - or anyone - is "cheating" -- he'll face his fellow racers at some point - or maybe not, and he'll get away with it.   Anyone that manages to avoid getting found out - still has to worry about looking at his participation and/or record certificates -- and thinking about how he "earned" them.

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
Thanks Jon. My sentiments exactly!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 10:15:15 PM »
curtis...
cool..!....
hows the liner after the fire? gonna rebuild it?
kent

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
Yeah it's in good shape. Mike and Jim had a lot of the mods done to the chassis done before Lynn got out of the hospital just before Christmas. Lynn has been crackin the whip ever since he got back. A good deal of the body was junk and new parts had to be built. The good part though is they learned alot from the first go around and the body is much better fitting and better finish. Engine is nearly done, just waiting on some CNC parts before final assembly. I figure we're good for another 300+ HP over what we had available last year.
Looking forward to getting back there.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
I know the rule book says we need to use the supplied event fuel, but I'm wondering what the specifications of the fuel are. Who do we contact to get cetane ratings? Diesel fuel can vary widely from one area of the country to another or from supplier to supplier. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 10:48:10 AM »
ERC is the event fuel supplier for SCTA/BNI.  Contact Rick Gold at ERC for details.  I don't know who supplies fuel if you're asking about the Top Speed Shootout.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com