Author Topic: Observations at El Mirage  (Read 11628 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Observations at El Mirage
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »
There are a whole lot of old guys doing the majority of the work -- waiting for the whiz kids to step up with their great ideas.  Show the old bas*ards how efficient you can be, change the rules, do the work, become the leadership -- twitter if you must.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
Become a board member
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 01:51:19 PM »
Twitter if you must.. :evil:

"Twitter amongst yourselves"  :cheers:

Well the offending team can submit a rules change for next year, there is still time...

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
You must submit the rule change before sept 1st (2009) and be a SCTA-BNI member. If the rule is changed it will go in the next years(2010) rule book .                           Sheri Buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 02:10:39 PM »
Facts John, just fact's :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
  You can request changes as a SCTA member through your club also, and as stated before, a club rep -president-or board member anyone with a legal authority at a SCTA meeting can make a motion.
  IT can be disscussed, rejected, voted on, or sent back to the clubs.
   The board and clubs have always done the best they could as they thought at their present time and have made many improvements over the years and its not easy being a board member as they attend two meetings a month [a club rep meeting and a presidents- board meeting].
 As a club rep I traveled from Santa Ynez to Anahiem on friday after work and didn't get home untill 3 or 4am.
 Unforseen problems can pop up such as [this code problem] and even though Landracing.com has no authority in the outcome it serves a purpose in discussing problems.
 Perhaps enough members reading about this code problem will go to their club and request a change.

After reading through the El Mirage procedures and the SCTA rule book I can't find anything about punishment for wrong code placement ,[can anybody point this out to me]?

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
JL
They still want it submitted on their form. And it should be written by the originator not something on any scrap of paper or verbally. This has been a problem in the past. That's why the form was developed. All standardized for proper filing. I was on the board for several years and people wanted changes and would ask someone going to the meeting to ask about it and being 2nd or 3rd hand to whole damn thing came out different then what the originator wanted.

I don't care if the inspection forms have computer codes or not. But who ever fills it out should know what class and engine size he is running. If it's entered wrong and makes a run that's what they are stuck with for that event.Once it leaves the starting line it's an official run.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »

I don't care if the inspection forms have computer codes or not. But who ever fills it out should know what class and engine size he is running. If it's entered wrong and makes a run that's what they are stuck with for that event.Once it leaves the starting line it's an official run.

I don't mean to argue  :-) and I wasn't there, but it has been my understanding that they correctly had the engine type "XF" on the form, but mis-cross-referenced a 121 into a 120 from the back of the rule book. 

If this is true, then the point being made is that the XF should suffice and the 121 or 120 is superfluous.

Sorry if I'm out of line.  I'll shut up now.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »

I don't mean to argue  :-) and I wasn't there, but it has been my understanding that they correctly had the engine type "XF" on the form, but mis-cross-referenced a 121 into a 120 from the back of the rule book. 

If this is true, then the point being made is that the XF should suffice and the 121 or 120 is superfluous.

Sorry if I'm out of line.  I'll shut up now.

Mike

I don't think youre out of line or should shut up we need more to speak up :cheers:

JL222

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 10:07:08 AM »
I'll add my attempted way of avoiding this problem - as a suggestion that might help someone.

When I get a new rulebook I go to the page with the "codes" and carefully, in the comfort and non-stressed atmosphere of the house - use a highlighter to mark the correct codes for my primary entry(s), and maybe secondary or class changes in a different color.  When I'm filling out an entry form I have, therefore, a pretty good chance of getting things correct.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 10:55:31 AM »
At El Mirage I couldn't find the codes in the rule book, I was lucky enough to ask an inspector if he had the codes and he had a cheat sheet with all the codes listed.  I now have my rule book earmarked where the codes are, pg. 174-179.  No more rushing to find a code, plus we keep an old entry form to look up our code #'s. :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 11:04:45 AM »
It's listed on page 5 (table of contents) at the bottom under
Appendix
vehicle entry data codes
pg.174
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline joea

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »
guys, Costella and Yaccouci didnt make a mistake by being in
a rush.............

there is no one more experienced and successful.........

Offline jl222

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
guys, Costella and Yaccouci didnt make a mistake by being in
a rush.............

there is no one more experienced and successful.........

:cheers: thats the point.
   We were just talking with a freind this morning how her account was short a bunch of money when a bank teller transposed a # from a different depositor.

JL222

Offline OU812

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
There some holes missing in this story. Yaccouci had the letters XO in engine class under Vehicle Classification. He also had the matching XO engine code. On sat. when he went in for record cert. Dan told him he had the wrong info on the entry form and the record was disqualified. Being that Dan Warner, like most of us, dosen't know the El Mirage Procedures by heart, he told Rick to re-enter the car with the correct info and then go run it. There was then a protest filed and the protest was upheld because the El Mirage procedures were not followed. The main thing that many people in Landspeed racing forget is that majority of the rules that are in place are a reaction to a problem that happened. In this case it had to due with someone building an engine to small for the class which it was running it. When it went to record cert, it was fould to be to small so the entry form was changed. This stirred up talk in the association and this rule was implemented. There are Rule Change Request forms on the SCTA websight and to the best of my knowledge no one has filled one out yet on this topic. Nominations for SCTA officers will be comming up in Oct. So if you havn't gotten the message yet please get the facts before you open your mouth and step up and be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
D3