Author Topic: Observations at El Mirage  (Read 11627 times)

Offline desotoman

Observations at El Mirage
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »
At the May El Mirage meet I made some observations that I would like to pass on to fellow racers. What I am about to say is for informational purposes only. I am not pointing fingers at anyone or any organization, and will not mention names etc. I just don't want anyone to have to go through this again, it has happened too many times already.

As some of you know there was one entry that made a clerical error on their entry form and it was not caught before said entry made a run. When in impound the mistake on the entry was caught. After a discussion, the person was told by an inspector, the entry was not filled out correctly the run did not count, to fill out a new entry form and attach it to existing form to correct mistakes on original form. Everything seemed to be fine.

The second pass the said entry makes, sets a record again. New record denied, no points awarded. Turns out in the El Mirage Procedure's there is a section that addresses the clerical errors that were made. The inspector was apparently not familiar with that rule.

In this case both the entrant and the inspector made an honest mistake.

I don't want to see this happen again. I suggest everyone who enters an El Mirage meet, ask for and read the El Mirage Procedure's. I would also suggest you ask the inspector to double check the body and engine code on your entry. If you don't have a rulebook handy there is always one at the registration trailer where you pay your fees. You can also view the El Mirage procedure's on the SCTA website, click on El Mirage, at the top of page it says Event procedure's, click on that and start reading. I personally take a few blank entry forms, keep them in the back of my log book and fill them out at home before the meet. That way in case I get rushed I have already filled the entry form out without any distractions.

Just some suggestions,

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline willieworld

Re: Observations at El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
the first year i raced at el mirage i wrote down the wrong code---john noonan was doing the inspecting and caught it---i changed before i left tech ---i set the sc-pf record at that meet ---it wont happen again---                                willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline joea

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
it will happen again....and again......and again.....to many ....

no one is more experienced than Costella and Yacoucci.....it happened to them...

the more manual data entry and redundancy (ie class designation and codes etc) the more the opportunity
to error........

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:23:54 PM »
If you don't have a rulebook handy there is always one at the registration trailer where you pay your fees.

At the May event they ran out of log books by noon on Saturday.  The problem is you cannot run without a log book.  I don't know how often this has happened, I know I would be upset if I drove to the lake with a new entry for the first event of the year to be told you can't run because they ran out of log books. 

Luckily, Mr. Noonan came to the rescue for the racer and passes were made. 

Log books can be ordered from SCTA and mailed to you as well as purchased at the registration trailer.  It may be a good idea to have a $10 insurance policy in the trailer "just in case" you loose your log book decal.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
"i set the sc-pf record at that meet ---it wont happen again"

Ah Willie -- I bet if you try hard you can set it again!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
i will try in june        willie buchta      there was a bike there in sheris class that looked like it would take her record--it didnt get through tech too bad i wanted to see it run---my bike had a dead cell in the battery --the motor ran good but was down on power---we get to try again in june   willie buchta
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:24:19 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »
Stan, perhaps he means that the ERROR won't happen again.  Hmmmm...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
not that one anyway                                                                             willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Stan, perhaps he means that the ERROR won't happen again.  Hmmmm...

I would like to see the Scta change the procedures so that an error in computer codes is not so punitive.
  We got along fine without them for years and I realize that they are needed for easy computer entry but I would be willing to bet nobody realized a racer would be losing his record over an error on the entry form
  Here's basically what I think it should be [class and number on car match class and number on entry and take precedent over computer codes no disqualification over code error]
  From what I remember most of the procedures were written by one person and OKed by the [ clubs and board?] about 1997. I know this because this person happened to be working for me at the time.
  These procedures needed to be written and he stepped up and put a lot of time and effort in it and he did a fine job,and I don't remember if the codes were inplace at that time. Even so I don't think it was anyone's
 intent to punish an entry so severly as to lose a record or in some cases, entry into a 2 club.
  This change or something similar could be changed [ maybe not] by a motion from a club rep, club president or SCTA board member and voted on after discussion. Or sent back to clubs for discussion [I hope their discussing it now].
  Maybe a small fine [$25] could be added to keep entrants attention.

JL222 :cheers:

Like I've said in other post even my computer screws up on spell check.

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 01:55:26 AM »
Computers don't have a Key labeled COMPASSION.

It only has one labeled DELETE.

Some times there is a way around a computer problem but in this case apparently COMPUTER doesn't  condone COMPASSION.

Even in college math classes, the answer doesn't have to be perfect, if the procedure is correct.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:09:03 AM »
As a computer programmer I fail to see why codes are even necessary. If they MUST have a 3 digit code I don't see why it can't be handled in the background. :? Maybe it's time for a software upgrade?
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »
You have to remember there are two distinct groups in SCTA.

They have computer guys that are sharp. Not the problem.

Do you remember when your 5th grader came home and mentioned that his teacher old Mrs. Smith has managed to play MP3 files on the school computer and nothing else? That's the SCTA leadership. Old Mr. Creel and the gang are stuck in the stone age. "Why change? We've been doing it this way for 50 years and it's always worked."
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
  http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/RuleChgForm.html                             willie or sheri buchta
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:20:34 AM by sheribuchta »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 11:13:48 AM »
Sheri, they don't seem to care that the SCTA web site is the correct way to request changes.
Landracing cannot change anything, it's a place to talk but action only comes thru the proper channels using the proper forms.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
But, we're talking about an unnecessary administrative procedure, not a rule.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!