Author Topic: Motorcycle Building Tools  (Read 18204 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Motorcycle Building Tools
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »
I figure that Mr. Buchta could answer this, but I thought I try a post to see what others are doing.  What are some necessary tools to scratch build a motorcycle for LSR (ie, frames)?  Also, what would be some economically price alternatives?
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Motorcycle Building Tools
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »
I figure that Mr. Buchta could answer this, but I thought I try a post to see what others are doing.  What are some necessary tools to scratch build a motorcycle for LSR (ie, frames)?  Also, what would be some economically price alternatives?

Simple answer is that you will need the same tools to build a race car like in your Avatar however the jig table will be shorter. :cheers:

You could (depending on the type of bike) use a chassis that is already available and shoe-horn in the engine of choice..good luck either way.

Did you ever determine what engine you will run?

J

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
Not yet, I'm still doing record and powertrain evaluations. :|

What is the compuss/angle finder tool for front end geometry called?

slopoke

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:25:06 AM by slopoke »

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »
Is it that simple?  Well hell, I use that for drawing!  Thank you

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
Mr. Buchta was my dad but i will try to answer your question----first you need a plan -the more you can work out on paper the less mistakes and redoes you will have later on---part of your plan should be the research of the classes that you will run in---that part of the plan  should be realistic ( you cant run 200 mph with a 500cc pushrod motor in an open bike ) and part of the plan should be the cost of the build ---can you do all of the fabrication or just the assembly --if you plan on building a frame you will need a frame jig and a tig welder if you have to buy those things you could have had someone build it for you ---my wifes bike in the build diaries has a list of parts and money spent  (NO LABOR)    i build a lot of frames and they range from around 700 to around 2500 dollars --ive seen some on e-bay from time to time most are drag race frames not a bad place to start if you are on a budget ---noonan is right about the jig--get a plan-- see you on the salt  willie buchta

i have a new frame if you want to run a evo harley for 700 dollars
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
here is the page for the costs for sheris bike    http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3151.150.html 

willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

slopoke

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:25:23 AM by slopoke »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »
So slopoke what are you building???? haven't seen or heard anything except noise.  What do we know about you and your back ground in motor sports. Just wondering. :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
So slopoke what are you building???? haven't seen or heard anything except noise.  What do we know about you and your back ground in motor sports. Just wondering. :?

slopoke and I are teammates.  Landspeed hovercraft (open record)!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:43:44 PM by Calkins »

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »
Mr. Buchta was my dad but i will try to answer your question----first you need a plan -the more you can work out on paper the less mistakes and redoes you will have later on---part of your plan should be the research of the classes that you will run in---that part of the plan  should be realistic ( you cant run 200 mph with a 500cc pushrod motor in an open bike ) and part of the plan should be the cost of the build ---can you do all of the fabrication or just the assembly --if you plan on building a frame you will need a frame jig and a tig welder if you have to buy those things you could have had someone build it for you ---my wifes bike in the build diaries has a list of parts and money spent  (NO LABOR)    i build a lot of frames and they range from around 700 to around 2500 dollars --ive seen some on e-bay from time to time most are drag race frames not a bad place to start if you are on a budget ---noonan is right about the jig--get a plan-- see you on the salt  willie buchta

i have a new frame if you want to run a evo harley for 700 dollars

Since you said TIG, I would assume you use chrome moly?  I was leaning toward small cc 2-stroke, so CM would be better for weight.  Although, I was told before, weight is traction.  Would using mild steel be bad?  There is a really nice TIG and a good MIG at work.  A hydraulic tubing bender.  We have a nice 1/4" thick, 4'X4' steel jig table too.  There is a kid at work the is a 'certified' welder.  I would probably have him tack it up for me, then I would take it to my hot rod building buddy to finish.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 11:50:40 PM »
i said tig but any kind of welding that you have the skill at would work---mild steel is your best bet--

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3837.0.html     read this ----sounds like you have a good plan so far        willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »
Thank you.  A guy come into work awhile back.  His family owns a body shop and the two boys used to build custom bikes on the side.  A V-Rod low rider, a couple of turbine (!!!) bikes, blah, blah, blah.  So I asked him if they still had the jigging around or if they sold it after they quit building bikes.  He said that they just had a flat table to work on.  Well, then I asked about stuff to setup the neck.  He said 'We just put it where it looked good'  I'm not sure why they quit making bikes, I think he said the market died.

Or maybe someone on one of there bikes did!

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 01:51:46 AM »
Found this site in one in my bookmarks.  I tend to do a lot of internet surfing late at night.

http://www.mechwerks.com/Mechwerks_plans_drawings.htm
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 02:31:09 AM »
Found this site in one in my bookmarks.  I tend to do a lot of internet surfing late at night.

http://www.mechwerks.com/Mechwerks_plans_drawings.htm

Mechwerks is a member of another forum I go to and he is reliable and does excellent work.

Scott