Author Topic: Nostalgia Drag Racing  (Read 20916 times)

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
Re: Nostalgia Drag Racing
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
 :-o  254+  :-o  Gives me the duck warts!!!!!!   Thanks.      Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

McRat

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 11:16:17 AM »
Very cool!   :cheers:

My good friend and fellow diesel enthusiast Chris Beanes just won the A/Gas? nostalgia race at Vegas last week with their Henry J:

http://www.lvms.com/handler.cfm/template,photo_gallery/sf_id,6910/cat_id,44312/

His car is the black Henry J on the left down a couple rows.  It runs mid 7's on gasoline IIRC.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 11:52:38 AM »
Great lookin' ride!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
 :-D my father and I will be at Bowling Green with the stone woods & cook car cant wait
Mike cook jr

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
Hooley and I built a Henry J gasser last year.  He runs with the Central States Gasser Association.  He recently got certified to run NHRA so we may try some bigger nostalgia events.  We wanted to run at Bowling Green or Indy but we need to save money for Bonneville.  I will be at Indy though with street rod.

Here is the link to the post I made about his first pass this year.   http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5654.0.html

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »
That's a great shot!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 12:32:46 AM »
One week until Indy!!!

Offline GH

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
Calkins, I was going to get to go to Indy with Sectre Performance but their schedule changed and now I can't make it. I raced a Willys coupe in nostalgia A/GS in the 90's at Indy and saw Roger (Radar) run the Orange Crate, very impressive.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 11:55:28 AM »
That stinks that you can't make it.  I alway enjoy Indy.  I like the history of the place and with the Goodguys putting on the show, there is never a shortage of neat cars.  I'm gald that I'm able to crew for Dale & Kat and Radar, it was my divorce gift to myself!!!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »
Here's a link the the Goodguys VRA site with info about Indy.

http://www.ggvintagedragracing.com/results-blog

It even has a picture of our car first!  Also has our buddy Brenden Murry's beatiful ride.  He'll be running Nick Arias' stuff this year.  Hopefully that will help him get headed back to the winning he's had in the past.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 01:38:42 AM »
Well, we sucked!  Only two qualifying sections, one Friday afternoon, and one Saturday morning.  Eliminations started with first round Saturday afternoon and second round & finals Sunday.

First pass.  3pm.  I noticed a fuel pressure sensor for the computer (that doesn't work, STILL) was was leaking as Roger rolled into the second staging beam.  About half track the mist was bad enough that Roger lifted and threw out the laundry.  7.488 @ 97.46  #7 qualifier :cry:  We thought that the engine should be fine and was going to do a few tweaks and throw in back in the game.  Well, we thought better of that and torn the motor down.  Good thing!  Pinched rings on three holes pretty good and a few more just slightly.  Also smeared the crank on a few journals.  Motor change!

Second pass.  NOON.  Nicer.  5.983 @ 235.72  #2 qualifier  Messed up some stuff, but I can't remember what.  Busy, busy weekend!

First round.  Another 5.98  Roger clicked it about 1000' and then BOOM!   :-o  1000,' pull the 'chute, let off, BOOM!  Our nice billet Rodeck block now has a sizable window near where a connecting rod should be swinging.  So we worked our asses off to change the motor.  We left the track around midnight with the car mostly finished.

Second Round (Semifinals)  We tuned the car lightly to make it survive.  Roger was in the lead at 1000' and then felt it nose over , so he lifted and lost.  6.28 @ 202, I think

We used up all our junk, so we won't be making it to Bowling Green next weekend.   :x  It seemed like everyone there was blowing $hit up!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:41:50 AM by Calkins »

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 01:11:55 PM »
Here's a link the the Goodguys VRA site with info about Indy.

http://www.ggvintagedragracing.com/results-blog

It even has a picture of our car first!  Also has our buddy Brenden Murry's beatiful ride.  He'll be running Nick Arias' stuff this year.  Hopefully that will help him get headed back to the winning he's had in the past.

It was good to meet you and I enjoyed watching the car.  Sorry about the bad luck.  See ya on the salt.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »
Good to meet you to!  I would have liked to talk to you more than I did, but the weekend got pretty short with all the problems!

I went to the shop last night to help rip down the bad motors.  Found out that we blew up the motor on the last past too.  One block seems to be useable and the other is junk, both cranks are junk, one junk cam, three repairable heads and one unhurt, two junk oil pans, four racks of junk pistons & rods, on and on...

We have been having problems here and there with these Howard rods.  Two years ago at Indy we did the samething.  One rod even split from hole to hole down the center!  This year, had one rip the cap off with the outside edges of the rod, in the center of the bolt holes out.  They have 1/2" bolt that only thread about 3/4" into the rod.  Roger thinks that with that big of a bolt, it can't get stretched correctly.  We'll see.

Next race should be Nostalgiafest, June 27th at Cordova, IL, if we have parts.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »
We will be running at Cordova this Friday and Saturday.  Anyone else going to be there?

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 07:06:33 AM »