Author Topic: Nostalgia Drag Racing  (Read 20918 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Nostalgia Drag Racing
« on: May 22, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
Anyone like vintage drag racing?  I wrench on a nostalgia top fueler, and we'll be racing at Indy June 12-14.  Anyone else going?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:30:01 PM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Re: Nostalgia Drag Racing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »
Let's see, way to much horsepower for the design, can see where you are going, the family jewels are wrapped around a part that could go south, I LOVE IT!!!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
It looks to be a fast year.  5.50s @ 260s!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »
Had to make a financial choice this year,   drags, or LSR.  LSR won out!  Will try to catch ya someday at the "memories" drags.    Crow      :cheers:   
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:31:18 PM »
That next weekend, June 19-21 we'll be at Bowling Green for the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »
Sure won't be able to make that, just got back from a week at Elmo.  Can't do nothin till Speed week.  Also, your car is the Orange Crate?  Used to be a '32 sedan drag car, The Orange Crat et  hast Bob Tindle in Ore. or Wash. that used to run at our old White City Drag Strip in the early '60's.  Are you related to it or them?    Crow

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »
Rod & Custom on the Orange Crate:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/thehistoryof/1932_ford_sedan_custom_classic/index.html

The car's history goes back way before Tindle, although he made it famous (deservedly).  There are many pictures of it from drag racing in the 50's.

The magazine writer Albert Drake owned it for a while.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:43:06 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:15:50 PM »
The current issue of Hot Rod Deluxe has a bunch of shots of straight axle altereds of all stripes, including an AMC Marlin (!?!)

Indy's out for me - I'm working  :-P - enjoy the event!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 11:25:43 PM »
4 barrle Mike.  Thanks for that info on the Crate,  i kinda keep up with the stuff I remember as a kid in Ore. racing.   I have alot of infor on the Glass Slipper (Ed Cortopassi) but I can't find anything on the S. Ore Wheelers  "Zombie" cars.  #1 was a 3Cheissman coupe, #2 was similar but with a rear trunkhood full of louvers, and #3 was a front engine dragster, w/ pontiac, 6:71 jimmy blower etc.  Our driver back then ( the early '60's was Bub Hewitt.   Got antthing else on this?    Thanks again!    Crow

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »
I'm not sure when the car was called 'Orange Crate'  Dale & Kat Suhr from Waterloo, Iowa own the car and Rogar 'Radar' Lechtenburg from Cedar Falls, Iowa drives it.  Dale was had a 'Hugger Orange' digger almost every year since '69.  Dale owns a machine shop that does alot of work for his old employer, John Deere.  Radar owns a cylinder head shop.  He did all of John Force's heads in the '90's until they started doing them in house.  He designed the Mopar B1 big block heads (in his little shop!) and right now is on contract with S&S to do ALL of the Pro Stock Buell heads in NHRA.  This car was brand spankin new in Febuary 2007 when I joined up with them.  It was built by Frank Parks at Neil & Parks down in Kansas, he also build the fastest FED owned by Jack Harris in California.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:19:58 AM »
I plan on going to the "Muscle Car Reunion & Nostalgia Drags" in Madison, IL, Gateway Int'l Raceway at the end of this month.
You gonna be there?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
Nop.  The promoter was trying to get funding to bring us in, but it didn't work out.  I wish we were

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »
Calkins,  your a pletheora of information!  Would like to sit around the pit and b.s. with ya some time!  Bye the bye, the Zombie coupes were Chrissman style, not that other word I came up with  (slowlely majic fingers, slowely)    BCNU    Crow

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
My pleasure!

Here's us at Indy in 2007.  We're in the far lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvueou0aYS8
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:53:44 AM by Calkins »

Offline AJR192

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
Good info on the nostalgia scene. Jack "The Nitro Sherriff" Harris and his son Bret are both in the 200 MPH club. They ran the mountain raider streamliner that was built by the Burklands. Jack actually lives in Kaysville Utah, just north of Salt Lake. Frank Parks' old shop used to be right down the street from Terry Nish's before Frank packed up and moved to Kansas.