Author Topic: Kids and LSR  (Read 10905 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Kids and LSR
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
I've been going to the Dry Lakes & Bonneville since 1978. I was 22 at that time working in Gieslers Stude, and McKinney's Sundowner Corvette along with a few others.

My Boys Kevin 24 & Ryan 27 have been going since they were 4 & 6 years old. Kevin just made his 1st rookie runs at El Mirage last weekend with a best speed of 165 mph. He also earned his "B" licence at Bonneville last year with a best speed of 190 mph all the time figuring out a new car too.

Trust me the youn'ins are stepping up....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline mkilger

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 06:59:10 PM »
wow, look how young Mckinney is, he was old when I met him LOL I think he like 79 80 now Dynoroom should know how old he is.  thats right he's a 49er forgot about that.

Offline Freud

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »
Gary is 45. The first year he went he spent in the Vesco pit. He was 10 years old.

Don and Norma looked after him the entire week. Don handed him the mike for the CD and he

learned trucker talk in 5 days.

He also had some small assignment on the bike 'liner and was introduced to Bonneville at a unique level.

It was a unique situation. I have never been able to repay the Vesco's.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
Awesome thread! Shane, I'm beyond jealous! Joel, I still absolutely LOVE that picture! I think I'm going to need an 8x10 for our home LSR wall of that one. It's a keeper for sure!

Shane, I was that girl as a child. Always helping Dad with a wrench in my hand. Encourage her & teach her! Little hands are an asset with these bikes! ;)

Somehow I ended up with a 15 y/o primadonna girl that rolls her eyes at the thought of the bikes. She's happy at the track if she can have her phone, ipod, computer & broadband internet. :| Our lives are so deeply entwined with the shop and our racing so it would be awesome if she had even the most remote interest. She may well end up with us in Bonneville this year. I'm not sure what I'll do with her. I might sell her to Glen for slave labor in the tower. At least it involves a computer! LOL I'm hoping she'll come around when she gets her drivers license and discovers she's got the go-fast gene!

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
wow, look how young Mckinney is, he was old when I met him LOL I think he like 79 80 now Dynoroom should know how old he is.  thats right he's a 49er forgot about that.

Mike, I was 22 when I met Duane, he was 50..... :-o

But he could stand on one foot and jump onto a 55 gal. barrel
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

McRat

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
Very cool.   :cheers:

We have two kids, Allison 10 (no she wasn't named after an automatic transmission), and Tom 8.  In my avatar you can see Allison posing with me at Bonneville last year.  My wife keeps track of pictures, so I don't have any right now.  Tom helps me with tire changes and other tasks, and Allison helps me get suited up.  We have drug the poor little "ratlettes" their whole lives to races, as far away as Bowling Green, Kentucky.  They weren't at Elmo last week because they had Soccer and Softball finals, but normally you will see them with us.  That's why we use a motorhome as tow vehicle to keep them with us (and safe) as we race.

Tom will be an interesting case.  He has no fear and loves going fast.  Allison?  Well, she has other interests, but she likes helping where she can.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »
that was a 55 gal of wine wasnt it. :-o  I love Duane I've had many good times with him and Dave over the years  :cheers:

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
Shane, when you were talking earlier about the flatty motor for the 4 door , for possibly a ride for the future big time racer, remember, learing the art of racing also includes the tickets, the insurance, and the other expenses...........and your,,," Daddy please? " LOL     Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Bville701

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »
Hey Dad,

How about posting that picture of you and me at Elmo, when I was really little?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »
Hey Dad,

How about posting that picture of you and me at Elmo, when I was really little?

You were about 4 yrs old (should I mention you tossed your cookies on the way due to car sickness?). I'll see if I can find the picture of us on the lakebed at home and scan it.......
Michael LeFevers

Offline Bville701

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
 :-D
Ryan LeFevers

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
:-D

Oops, better watch what you ask for..

Scan em and post em ... :cheers:

Offline Bville701

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 01:27:32 AM »
John,

He doesn't have any pictures of me "tossing up my cookies"   :-D
Ryan LeFevers

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »
This is a great discussion, lots of positive stories.

At Speed Week '07, one of my crew members, Soren, brought his 14 yr old daughter Haley. She had begged to join her Dad, how could I say no to a cute girl who chose to spend a week with a bunch of middle aged men and their toys. She had a blast and enjoyed meeting all the racers and helping out where she could. We enjoyed having such a positive spirit in our pits. I believe it was also an opportunity to show a young lady how she should expect to be treated with respect from men in the future.
Haley was crushed when we could not attend Speed Week last year due to my motorcycle accident.
This August, Haley will turn 16 and is more excited than ever to return to the salt!

-Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »
This is a great discussion, lots of positive stories.

I believe it was also an opportunity to show a young lady how she should expect to be treated with respect from men in the future.

-Scott

:cheers:
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA