Author Topic: Kids and LSR  (Read 10906 times)

Offline V8Pinto

Kids and LSR
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »
My 10yr old daughter, Mariana helped me get the bikes ready for El Mirage and it seemed like her interest sparked a bit.  When we went through Tech Inspection, she was following Noonan around watching a lot but didn't say much.  On the way home she said "could we race that '50 in the backyard if we fixed it up?".

Last night she came out to the garage and said "we have to do this thing in school where we get up in front of the class and demonstrate how to do something...mommy said I could show them how to Tech a bike for a land speed race"

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Kids and LSR
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
Hook, Line, & Sinker!

Starting her young, so has no hope to be a 'normal' girl now!!   :evil:
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
Mariana, you have no idea how proud you made your Daddy.

We hope for that response from our son.

We are ecstatic when it comes from a daughter.

Mom will shake her head and sigh.

Dad will have tears in his eyes.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
I'm jealous!  I wish I could have that happen to my girls!  But, the dragster is a little to hands-on and my girls aren't quite old enough to trust to be running around at the drags without being next to me.  You're lucky!
 :cheers:
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline DallasV

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »
My oldest daughter made her first trip to the salt when she was 5 months old and my youngest when she was 10 months old. They are now 12 years old and 6 years old. they have not missed a trip to the salt in their lives and love going. They have friends out there that they only see when racing, and start counting down the days as soon as school lets out in June. Our type of racing is great for family and it is nice to have the girls interested in somthing I am, because for the rest of the year it's the Jonas Brothers, being locked out of all the bathrooms, too much make-up, and outfits I don't think are fit for them to be wearing. How long is it until Speedweek?
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:25 PM »
shane    madison asked sheri if she could bring the race bike to show and tell--sheri called the school and asked---the principle said only if all of the classes could attend---sheri took the bike to the school and was surprised how much the kids new about racing    nos   and bonneville  ---a good time was had by all                                               willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline mkilger

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »
I took my boy (Devin)last year to speed week for the first time he's 13 now, he helped in the timing tower, helped the Rice Bro's pickup 3 miles of wire, ran around with Jim Dunn one day,helped Dan W put up signs in the pits, even helped  pickup parts on the course, oil downs ect he had a ball.  we havnt even started to run the roadster yet, I think he is hooked already. :-D

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
Remember that thread a while back asking where all the younger racers were going to come from? Doesn't sound like there's going to be a problem.

Pete

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 02:13:26 PM »
Freud, how old is your son? :-o

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »
Freud, how old is your son? :-o

Freud's son would have to be 60 or 70 I would guess.... :evil:

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »
I remember when the first Fast and Furious movie came out. My oldest daughter was 13. She came home talking all about "naus". I had a blond moment and couldn't figure out what the hell she was talking about so I ask her "what is naus". She says"you know dad,the blue thing you have in the trunk of your hot rod. Oh... you mean nitrous oxide.
I didn't know that the younger generation was saying what they read on the bottle.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Geo

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
We have mystery readers come to my daughters school and read a story to the class.  I went on Halloween wearing my drivers suit, shoes, gloves and helmet.  I wanted to grab the interest of the boys and test out the two way radio gear.

I set up the push truck unit on a desk at the far side of the room and read over the throat mic radio with the visor down.  The kids were not sure what to think.  But, after a bit the boys started to inch there way forward, actually scooting the chairs up.  I had them ask questions through the radio so I could check how well I could hear.

Test worked well.  I had a blast.  The kids asked good questions and I pushed my reading agenda every chance I could.  I kept my gear on until I was outside again to keep the mystery reader intact.

Next school year I will ask about bring the car!  :-D

Geo

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 04:02:32 PM »
Below are mine helping dad strap in.  My little pit crew.  My favorite question from them lately is, Dad can we work on the truck this weekend?  Brings a tear to my eye. 

My wild child - counting the days till he can ride one of these.  He has printed this photo out and carries it around in his backpack.  I think his friends are tired of him talking about it. 

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 04:15:29 PM »
Great stories guys and gals  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

roadtrip

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »
Last September at World of Speed, there were several bus loads of school kids from Salt Lake.

Pleasant, bright kids with a genuine interest and intelligent questions. Their interest wasn't focused on streamliners and bikes either, they seemed to appreciate everything.

V8Pinto ....... you have a keeper!  Hoping for a similar experience with my granddaughter.

ds