Author Topic: #72 nearing completion  (Read 20620 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: #72 nearing completion
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »
No problem.  We had similar problem with the dragster.  There is a huge vent on the top of the fuel tank and a tube that runs the length of the tank with each end going into there end of the tank.  About 1000' it would start mixing up cylinders and killing the pump.  About 4 racks of pistons and three pumps later, we figured out that the venting air was pushing it's way into the fuel line going to the pump on the top end of the track.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »
I put some saftey foam in mine so that they should seperate out.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
Hey Harv
great stuff , looking forward to seeing the results in September ...........you know I'd been wondering why the price of brown paint had gone up...........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline hitz

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 02:12:42 AM »
Hey Harv
great stuff , looking forward to seeing the results in September ...........you know I'd been wondering why the price of brown paint had gone up...........

Dr. G,
  Glad to see you noticed the brown paint! Think UPS will like it and sponsor me?

I've been tuning up the body work on the lakester and have decided it's almost good enough to be good enough. There are about 25 panels on this car! :roll: The painting will start next week. I built and installed a NACA duct for the intake last week and made a catch tank for the differential. Got the chute release done (whats a done), I forgot to put a safety stop on it :oops:.

See where you have started to get ready for your next run. Good idea. I wish you an enjoyable time working on the tank.

Harv

Offline hitz

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »
Closer------closer. It's very close to being able to load. I have to get more computer work done with the Tech II. The raw fuel curve is still rich. Looks like I might have time to finish up the intake cooling and get the hubcaps on.

There are more pictures on photo bucket. I've given up try to post here.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/hitzaina/?mediafilter=images

Harv

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
hey Harv
was trippin on your pix site and have one small suggestion..... your elect off is a "pull".... if the chute risers start dancing they could accidentally pull your power off..... if you can switch the switch to a "push" for off, it would solve that problem....actually it is better to "hit" or "push" an emergency devise than to have too locate, grab, and pull a devise off.... I feel the same way on fire bottle knobs... never liked the pull setup.... just a suggestion...
Kent

Offline hitz

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
UhOh.............Dancing chute risers!! Never gave that a thought. I'll look at that and see if I can change it. It will be difficult because it has a long 1/2" square tube control rod and it felt more positive pulling than pushing. Been pulling wrenchs for so long I don't feel comfy pushing on things, well most things.
Thanks for your concern. Are you going to run your streamliner at Speedweek? Hope to see you there.

Vista is my home town, along with my dad and grand dad. I left in 1953.

Harv

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 06:34:53 PM »
There are more pictures on photo bucket. I've given up try to post here.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/hitzaina/?mediafilter=images

Harv

Is this what you wanted to post? Good looking car, can't wait to see it on the salt!

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline hitz

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 07:07:09 PM »
Thanks Mike,
Please stop by if you get a chance I'll be pitting with 3 other cars from the Redding area. #160 a new C/GMR, #803 A/FRMR 2cd outing and #204 C/GCC for his 3rd outing. It should be an interesting Speedweek for us!

I'm one of those guys with no data, no opinion but plenty of optimism that it will be fun! It'll be test and tune.

Hope I get a look at that beautiful roadster of yours.

Harv

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 08:16:10 PM »
Hey Harv..
Yep got the 'liner entered..... we'll see if she'll give a 300+ time slip this year..... everything i've been touching lately has been turning to crap so i'm kinda fraid to touch it..... how bout you? gonna have her out this year?
kent

Offline Bville701

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »
Hey Harv,

Your lakester looks great and has come a LONG way since the last pictures I saw of it. Great job!!! I will make sure that my pops, brother, and I stop by to say hello.    :cheers:

P.S.
Besides we would like to view our competition of that C/GMR   :-D
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline hitz

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
Kent,

Yes, It's get to make it first runs. No serious record run but it will be good enough to see what we have and how much we have to go to be competitive. I'd like to get it on a chassis dyno but don't think thats going to happen. See you there.

Ryan,

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Harv

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 11:31:48 PM »
Great looking lakester, one question though.  I thought that the officials frowned upon white vehicles on the salt, are you going to add a little color to it before bonneville? :cheers:

Offline hitz

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 09:03:16 AM »
bvillercr,
Picures do lie. Its a lite tan (beige on the can). Accents will come later.The numbers are large :lol:

Harv

Offline DallasV

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:11 AM »
Great looking lakester, one question though.  I thought that the officials frowned upon white vehicles on the salt, are you going to add a little color to it before bonneville? :cheers:

Officials do frown on white cars but even if this lakester was white I don't think they would have much of an issue because it is a pretty big car, the tires are outside the body and it has big orange numbers. It's the real small cars with the wheels and tires tucked in that have a tendancy to dissapear.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.