Author Topic: Al our starter  (Read 18108 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Al our starter
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
For those of you who don't know, Al our starter was involved in a single vehicle motorcycle accident on his way to the track on Friday. Something caused his trailer to fishtail which got uncontrolable and ultimately threw him and the bike to the ground. He's been in ICU since Friday.

Todd & I spent a good part of the day with Al today. He honestly looked better then I expected with him being in ICU since Friday. We met his doctor today as well and got the low down. He does have 6 broken ribs. They are broken towards the back side and basically each bone detached and is sitting on top of its counterpart. As you can imagine the rubbing back and forth is causing extreme pain. Yesterday they fit him with a rib belt which about instantly provided him with relief and both the doctor and his wife said you could watch the color rise back up into his face. They weren’t able to do it any earlier due to concerns about the risk of putting pressure on his lungs so soon after the trauma.

Today's nurse was extremely pleasant and worked hard on his pain management. We could tell it was working as he was returning to his usual kidding flirting self. He still has bouts of muscle spasms around the ribs that lock him down with a bolt of pain but they're starting to lessen and come less frequently. He has rash & bruising down the left side of his back. The tips of his fingers have a lot of rash and a stitch or two. His knees have some good raspberries and his left knee has a small chunk missing which they threw a couple stitches in. All in all he looks pretty good all things considered.

Ironically they recently passed a law in NC that added further crack downs on the use of DOT approved helmets so Al not wanting to incur a ticket was wearing a ¾ dot helmet rather then the beanie “novelty” helmet we’re accustomed to seeing. This was good as his helmet was rashed rather well on the left side and the doctor fully believed that had he not had the protection of that helmet his head injury could have been severe if not fatal. He was also wearing his leather jacket and boots which protected him. He did have a raspberry on his left elbow but that was friction rather then road contact.

Todd went with his wife Lisa to look over the bike. It’s not damaged as much as Al feared. It’s got cosmetic damage and we’re not sure of the status of the front end but certainly not as banged up as it could have been. It’s up to the insurance company to decide if it’s fixable or totaled. They do have insurance coverage on the bike so we’ll see how it all turns out.

Lisa’s parents came down and are helping out with the boys for the week. Al will likely be in the hospital a few more days while they deal with his pain. He’s currently at:
Chatham Hospital
475 Progress Blvd.
Siler City, NC 27344
http://www.chathamhospital.org/

We delivered the card which most signed at the track and he greatly appreciated it but he’s a little too doped up to read clearly at the moment. I did tell him that the women missed the breast protection check and that nobody could do it (would do it?) like him! Guess that’s it for now we’ll post updates as we hear them.

Ooops, I forgot to add, here's a pick of Al with his gear:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:45:40 PM by DahMurf »
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Al our starter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »
Deb
Thanks for the information on Al. I broke 3 ribs on the back side on a bike get off some years ago. The discomfort is unreal and spent 6 weeks in a chair with pillows to help take some of the pressure off. (not much) Our thoughts are with him and a speedy recovery.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
Al we love you man  Now get yourself together .  :cheers:
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
Heal fast Al, we missed you at the starting line.

Thanks Deb & Todd for the info, and as always for your effort at the track.

Dean

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
Heal up Al, I have had several broken bones..ribs are the worst next to the ones in your Vertebra/neck...

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:01:20 PM »
Get well Al!  The grid wasn't the same without you.  Deb, thanks for trying to help with my shield fogging up.  Didn't quite get the job done so I may be switching to  a Fog City shield next time around,  Either that or get a faster bike so I can hold my breath for a run!   :cheers:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:39 PM »
Al, get well soon... we need you man  :-D

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:24:47 AM »
Al, if Deb and Todd are on your side, so am I. I understand the broken ribs. The physician at the hospital said to me, wherever you lay down tonight is where u will be for a while. He was correct. It hurts to beat hell. Just don't get Swine Flu.

Look at the date for the next Maxton race. That's how much time u have to get well.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline ncdragster

• New folks
    • http://www.waynepollack.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:27:27 AM »
Hey Al,
  You're not fooling me! I know you just wanted a little peaceful vacation, this was all just a scam to lay around for a while :-D  You better have have your butt (ribs, whatever) healed up and be back on the line to start me or I am not going down the course :evil:
                                         Love You Man,
                                                Wayne
I will not tiptoe through life lightly, only to arrive at death safely.

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Thanks Deb & Tod for the post.

We are super glad you had that skid lid on Al.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.  Get well, and get on back - we love ya man !
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:23 PM »
We miss you Al and you and the family are in our prayers.  Get well soon as we want you back with us.  A speedy recovery wish from all of us at TLN Motorsports.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »
al, we al missed your sweet and sunny disposition this weekend even the sky rarely smiled. For the next year or so you won't want to cough, sneeze or even laugh much. We're going to kill on the laughing part though-- so get ready in every way.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about the accident Al.  Heal up quickly and correctly.  The Mile is a different place without you.

Thanks for the info Deb and Todd.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline JackB750

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 08:28:36 PM »
Al, Sorry 2 hear about your misfortune buddy! Hope those ribs knit up well, and fast!! I expect you to get well before I get back from my Alaska bike trip!
Jack Broomall
PerformanceWerx-Chasing Motorcycle Land Speed Records ;

Offline JRoberts

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Al, all these folks are right. A weekend at Maxton isn't the same without you!  Wish you all the luck in the world. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  Do what they tell you, heal up good, don't push things and take care of yourself.  We'll see you when you are ready.

Deb thanks for posting this.
Joe Roberts
ECTA Course Worker
Studebaker Enthusiast