Author Topic: New guy wanting to run this year-questions  (Read 6182 times)

Offline driftwood

• New folks
New guy wanting to run this year-questions
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »
 Hello all, I just registered with the site in hopes of finding more info out about running the salt...hopefully this august. Looking for a few pointers specifically what class my car would fall in and any (costly)safety requirements I should be aware of. I recently became a member of BNI, but haven't gotten my rule book yet and would like to send my registration in before may 15 to avoid the price increase.

I have a 1980 Camaro street car that I am in the midst of installing an L92(stock) and 4L60E into. The car is all steel right now with full interior and is used as a street/strip car. Currently a 3.73 posi, but I am building a 3.42 to make better use of the new engine/trans combo. Car does not have any spoilers or airdams and weighs about 3200 with the sbc/th350 and me with a full tank. The motor swap and cage should put it closer to 3050 and L92 is rated at 400 horse.

If any other info is needed please let me know.

Thank you, Joe

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: New guy wanting to run this year-questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »
I would look at USFRA 130 club to start with or look at the classsic rules when you get the book  the eng swap is going to put you up there with the OLD Salts---very competetive Gas Coupe and sedan class look at the records
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:27:25 AM »
Running in Aug will cost you LSR tires, roll cage, fire system, fire suit, SFI belts, parachute and probably a bunch of stuff I haven't thought of... not to mention it will be a full time job getting it ready in 80 days.  On the other hand, Sparky has given you an excellent alternative, USFRA 130 or 150 club.  The rules are online, link at the home page of this site.  You will have fun starting there.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

McRat

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »
400HP will most likely keep you under 200mph, so you can use VR/ZR rated street tires.
The rollcage is different wall thk from NHRA rules, so you need to built it to SCTA rules.  A SCTA cage will satisfy 8.50 ET NHRA.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
The VR-rated tires won't work for SpeedWeek which you've stated you want to pre-enter.  At SW you have to have the full safety equipment for the Record of the class you enter.  The USFRA meet, again, would be a better place to start.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »
Drift, everyone is trying to say the clubs are a good place to familiarize yourself with the salt on a budget.  You should attend Speedweek to see other racecars, you will see some of them at WoS also.  A 200+ class requires a lot of safety stuff... for club runs the requirements are easier.  Come on out and have some fun
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline driftwood

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
 Well, thanks to everyone that replied and offered advice/information. Looks like I would be much better suited to hit the USFRA meet for starters to learn more.

I'm only looking to do this for the experience of running on the famed salt and to see how fast my street car can go there. Definitely not looing to set any kinds of records. I know it is a tough task, but I am trying to build a well rounded car that can do well on the strip, through the twisties and top end.

The car currently runs 12.3 in the 1/4 with the mild, iron headed SBC and can be driven anywhere. While doing the L92 swap, it will also get an aftermarket front suspension to help with ride quality & handling. 

I'll have to go through the rule books and see what all I will have to do to have an "all around" certified cage and any other mods for class I will fall into.

Thanks again, Joe

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 11:33:31 PM »
Not that there is anything wrong with the USFRA meets but there is zero reason why someone shouldn’t get a rule book build a car and run it at speedweek. There is a very large crowd every year of new people and they always seem to learn the ropes real quick.

It is a good idea even if you opt to run USFRA to build the car legal for scta. Just because you can run without fire suppression doesnt mean you should.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline driftwood

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »
 I still want to hit speedweeks, but a parachute/fire suppression and LSR tires are not in the budget this year as this is all new to me and I was unaware of the rules when beginning to look into it. Plus I can only afford one trip out this year, baby steps.

I was already planning the cage,5 point belts and have the seats. I will look through the rule book and build so it fits everywhere just to be safe. While I didn't originally think about fire supression, it's definitely a good idea.

Any idea what LSR tires and a fire supression system go for, and/or where to get them? Can I use Goodyear Front Runners all the way around? They are skinny and good for over 200mph, not that my car will see near that.

Thanks,Joe

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »
Joe, you could have the car ready for speedweek, it would be an 80 day $10K to $15K thrash... or you could just drive it out and run 130 club... or if you have a cage already it might be easy to get it ready for 150 club.  Will it do 150?  As I said, read the rule book then come to speedweek, and see what you need to run it in it's class.  Look at all the machines and enjoy the event.  Come back in Sep and see that 130 club is not that easy, but it is a great way to get started.  Stop and say hi, I'll be at both events.
Stainless

Offline driftwood

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
Joe, you could have the car ready for speedweek, it would be an 80 day $10K to $15K thrash... or you could just drive it out and run 130 club... or if you have a cage already it might be easy to get it ready for 150 club.  Will it do 150?  As I said, read the rule book then come to speedweek, and see what you need to run it in it's class.  Look at all the machines and enjoy the event.  Come back in Sep and see that 130 club is not that easy, but it is a great way to get started.  Stop and say hi, I'll be at both events.

I will wait for next year to run speedweek instead of going all the way out only to find I can't run due to a rule problem that I cannot take care of there. I plan to hit the USFRA event and try to run there. The tech sheet looks like it will be easy to get my car in.

The rulebook just arrived today and I have started looking through it. Alot different than the NHRA that I am used to.

Not sure if my car could do 150 in the alotted distance. There is not much I know about running the salt other than a car won't "launch" like on a dragstrip. With that in mind, my car does 108 in the 1/4 so I'd really like to believe it could in two miles. I just have to get the gearing right to work with the "low" 6k redline of the engine. Thinking a 3.42 will work well with the .70 overdrive. Time will tell.

I will try not to be too much of a pain on here, I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions in the next months.

Oh, I also live fairly close to Pocono Raceway where you can drive a stock car at the track. I have done their 20 mile drive program and now they allow you to drive your own car so I am scheduled to do that in september. Can't wait to be able to go over 100 legally for a change.

Thanks,Joe

saltfever

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 05:27:45 AM »
About 2 years ago the 28" tall Goodyear tire was around $430 each. You buy them through a Goodyear racing distributor. Roger Krause is a sponsor in this year's rule book (page 196).

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »
You will have a blast running out there in one of the clubs!  Careful, though, as many can attest that the salt finds its' way into your blood quicker than crack !   :cheers:
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
I would also look at the ECTA---there is a pretty good history on what type of cars run there and on the Salt---you may find that that or loring will get it done for you...
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!