Author Topic: New thread: powered aero  (Read 15922 times)

Offline Breck

Re: New thread: powered aero
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »

You would be better off using load cells on the suspension / shocks to add more wing when the system knows the suspension unloading.  I think Jim Feuling controlled the front canards on his stream liner the same way.  Tony

Clever.  I looked for Jim Feuling and he was a very clever guy.  Sorry to hear he passed in 2002.  Saw several reference to his web site, which is now gone.  I'll keep looking, If anyone know where to find pics, data on this (Jim or his cars) I'd appreciate it.

High aspect tapered wings can have drag of under 3% of down force making adjustments during the run less important .

http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/Bvile-pics/rw-full.jpg

That's encouraging.  I started playing with the DesignFoil demo, it's pretty cool, lots of information as well.  It's a 2D foil program, so might be difficult to figure a tapered foil.  I guess it could be done a slice at a time. 
http://www.dreesecode.com/

Who did all that aluminum forming?  The canopy and that intake sure look smooth.  What's you secrete?

Breck

Offline John Burk

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »

"Who did all that aluminum forming?  The canopy and that intake sure look smooth".

An old guy near Hershey Pa did the compound bent panels . Joe Timney finished the nose panels . I did the nose air inlet myself .

Efficient wings are fairly simple . The profile needs to be aggressive to get the down force with a short cord to increase the aspect ratio . NACA 63-021 has nice lift to drag . 2:1 taper is near ideal . Strength limits the aspect ratio so the design is important .

The book Theory of Wing Sections is helpful .

Offline Breck

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »

Efficient wings are fairly simple . The profile needs to be aggressive to get the down force with a short cord to increase the aspect ratio . NACA 63-021 has nice lift to drag . 2:1 taper is near ideal . Strength limits the aspect ratio so the design is important .

The book Theory of Wing Sections is helpful .

Hello John

Very helpful, thank you.  Are both wings mounted on a one piece metal shaft?  Are they adjustable in flight?

Breck

Offline John Burk

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
"Are both wings mounted on a one piece metal shaft?  Are they adjustable in flight?"

The back bone of ea wing is a 1/8" x 1 1/4" square tube , tapered in the outer half . A 2 ft 1" x 1" 4130 bar holds them together . Pitch is set before the run .

My wings are to offset low pressure under the nose . They'd need to be scaled up to add meaningful amount of traction . The down force at 100 mph is 1/9th of 300 mph so to add traction they're mostly of use to very fast cars .