Author Topic: cut down gas tank.Help  (Read 5180 times)

Re: cut down gas tank.Help
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 11:12:33 AM »
Been "bronze-welding" frames, tanks, for over 50 years (using a in-line fluxsher....the only proper... way with no flux build up in the weld)...........
It is all about.....heat control.....heat control....and then some more heat control..................................
Use light tinted safety glasses so you and SEE
the heated metal...........and then practice.........

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
1194 brings up a good point-- don't use standard welding goggles when brazing, you can't see well enough to control the heat. Cobalt blue lenses are almost impossible to find these days but they cut out the yellow sodium flare and let you see the joint clearly. A good pair of sunglasses isn't out of the question but "glass working" goggles are better. Didimium lenses are well thought of.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline bak189

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
O.K. I don't understand this computor stuff....Bak 189 is also 1194..........
could not get back "on board" with the old computor as bak189 so went with 1194.....got a new laptop..........now I can use Bak189 again.....don't understand it, to much for this old man............................................

Anyway, I would like to point out that with a in-line fluxsher you do not get that bright glare you do when using fluxshed-rod.....makes it a lot easier to judge the metal heat.  In-line -flushers  must be kind of "old school" as I have big problems finding the canned flux.  Been getting the stuff from the old country (Holland) but would certainly like to buy it here in the USA.
Know of any vendors?????
Question authority.....always

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »
Bak189;

If you want a jar of Harris #17 flux, contact Stoody in San Diego. I bought some from them for around $8 a jar. In- line (aka "Jet Fluxers") are great but I never bought one for some reason.