Author Topic: Help... fuel pump/ECU issue.  (Read 6669 times)

Offline sabat

Help... fuel pump/ECU issue.
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
I have a strange problem with my '06 Kawasaki ZX10. Turning ignition on cycles the fuel pump, and it shuts off after a few seconds, as expected. However, when the starter is turned on the pump does not cycle back on. If the starter is turned on immediately after the ignition is on the bike starts, then dies when the fuel pump cuts out in a couple seconds. Luckily, I have a second bike, and so far I've swapped with no effect;

Fuel pump relay.
Fuel pump.
ECU.
Battery is 12.5V, all fuses intact. A booster battery makes no difference.

If I turn the ignition on, wait for the pump to cycle off, then turn the key on and off again, the pump will cycle for a shorter duration the second time, but not at all on the third try. I have to wait 30-45 seconds until it the ignition will activate the pump again.

It ran fine 4 weeks ago. All I have changed is the installation of a electronic boost controller, which I unplugged, with no effect. I did have to root around the cramped tailsection to get it situated, but I can't see any obvious problems. I had hoped to go to dyno at MPS this Friday, and race next weekend at Maxton, so if possible I'd like to figure this out ASAP. Any ideas are appreciated.

Dean

Offline sabat

Re: Help... fuel pump/ECU issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
Smart tips from salt pros helped me find a corroded tip-over switch. Thanks folks  :cheers:

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:25 AM »
i will reignite :roll:  this thread as i have a similar, but different problem,,, after a six month rebuild, went to start the ZX12 on the weekend,, no go,,  on engaging the starter there is one "squirt" from the injectors, and thats it, even though the starter motor is still cycling,,,  have checked fuel pressure at injector log both when the key is activated and during the starting process, reading 48psi, (as per the workshop manual), have swapped out the crankshaft sensor and checked all lock-out switches, the FI warning light on the dash is not on :|
Would appricate any advice towards solving this problem :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:03:20 AM »
Make sure all the ground wires are doing the job. :cheers:
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

McRat

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:48:15 AM »
i will reignite :roll:  this thread as i have a similar, but different problem,,, after a six month rebuild, went to start the ZX12 on the weekend,, no go,,  on engaging the starter there is one "squirt" from the injectors, and thats it, even though the starter motor is still cycling,,,  have checked fuel pressure at injector log both when the key is activated and during the starting process, reading 48psi, (as per the workshop manual), have swapped out the crankshaft sensor and checked all lock-out switches, the FI warning light on the dash is not on :|

So are you saying the injectors see voltage when starting to crank, but as it continues to crank, no voltage? 

Probably absolutely no help at all, but on cars, there are two common things:  Anti-Theft (not sure bikes have this) and cranking voltage.  When a battery gets old, even though it cranks, the voltage drops so much that the ECU malfunctions.  And like above, missing/poor ground to ECU.

I'd also try testing it with ether.  Just in case there is a lot of air in the lines.

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:57 AM »

So are you saying the injectors see voltage when starting to crank, but as it continues to crank, no voltage? 

Probably absolutely no help at all, but on cars, there are two common things:  Anti-Theft (not sure bikes have this) and cranking voltage.  When a battery gets old, even though it cranks, the voltage drops so much that the ECU malfunctions.  And like above, missing/poor ground to ECU.

I'd also try testing it with ether.  Just in case there is a lot of air in the lines.
Ron,what was the last thing you did?? And check to see if you have a tip-over switch. Got the manual? Should have flow chart of things to check. Of course,does not mean your ecm did not just decide to give up on you.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
my suggestions would be low pressure oil sensor shut down or tip over system and always check the grounds...
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
Side stand switch?
Side stand switch wiring?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline bbarn

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:21:04 PM »
Neutral safety switch? Clutch engagement switch?
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 05:26:24 AM »
YEE-HARR,, she goes, :cheers:,,, checked out all as mentioned above, still didnt want to play  :cry:,,, had an earlie mark from work this afternoon (christmas shutdown), so when i got home, decided to check and sptay

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 05:35:17 AM »
oopps :oops:, dont know what happened there :|, anywhay sprayed all "connections" with WD40, and whallar!!! she roared into life 8-),, thankyou to all for the suggestions given to try and fix this problem,, although all the connections in the wiring loom looked fine and clean, there was one not doing its job,,,, now i load the bike up, and drive 1000k south to Brisbane, where, after christmas we play on the dyno :wink:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 05:51:15 AM »
Oh the Joys of  :evil:electrical gremlins :evil:----but nice little Christmas present   :-D  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline sabat

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »
Congrats, and post your results from the dyno, I like those ZX12s.