Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 10115 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
a bunch of racers ran belt drives at Bub's ... I didnt see any problems

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »
I usedf my Harley for a pit bike, washed it off at the car wash and checked the belt.  Still running it with no adverse effects.  FYI  Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
Bill,

No problems...

J

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 08:13:49 AM »
I cannot speak from experience here, but i can't see where a belt drive would need anything different on the salt than it requires on the street.  Anyone running a belt have input?
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
You for sure don't want to get the salt "packed" in the belt, for obviouse reasons.  In '07, at the "swim" meet it was picking up pretty easily, but again, hosed it off and still running the same 3" BDL belt.     BCNU soon.    Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Bill Fulmer

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »
Thanks again for all the good info guys. :cheers:  Bill

Offline Bill Fulmer

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »
  Getting closer to event,more ?'s popping up. They say in the staging area to bring shade,does a large golf umbrella fit the bill?Also not to bring a large crew,one person assisting in the staging area OK?   Thanks  Bill

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
Bill,

If you can rig it up have a canopy that fits to a vehicle to that the rider and bike are always in shade while sitting and waiting, a large umbrella works however a canopy is much better.

John

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 08:55:38 AM »
umbrella for when you are leathered up and ready to run (3 back from starting line), and a canopy otherwise has always worked best for us.  You need to be alert for wind gusts, however, so your canopy doesnt take off and possible injure/damage other participants.  Having one affixed to the trailer is also a good option.  Shade is definitely your friend on the salt...
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »
Hey Bob, the weather at Bonneville is going to be like spring compared to what we have had this summer. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline summer heat

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »
Another noob, coming from Indy first time on salt running RWB.  Concerned over response to

3) Is a steering dampener required?.  "Yes", I am not setup with that nor can I read it anywhere in RWB supplement.

Can anybody please verify this and post... have quick mods to make if so  :?

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
The only thing I could find in the RWB supplemental was - "Stops to steering must limit riders hands from touching the fairing or tank at full right or left
turns. A hydraulic dampener cannot act as a fork stop."  I saw no mention of a damper being "required", but in the AMA supplemental - page 22 -2.n states Steering Damper Required in all classes. 
So the next question would be - Is RWB considered a class ?
Personally, if it isn't a physical engineering marvel to install one , I 'd say put one on. Better to have a steering damper if you need it at speed, then not having it.
 Have you e-mailed or called the BUB office?  Linea & Delvene are super nice to talk to, and if they can't answer the question I'm sure they will get you somebody who can.

Keep it fun, and see you on the salt.

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline summer heat

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »
Will contact.... I've been experiencing some of the Admin kickbacks on email so will go a different route.

I understand the install statement and potential benefits.  With time to departure close & this will have to be an order item, I guess another question would be... Is it just plain ridiculous to come to the salt without a damper ???? Do many/some/none ride without?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
Some of the internet performance parts suppliers can get items to you real quick.  Usually you pay extra for the added shipping costs.

My Triumph with the old chassis went into a speed wobble when decelerating on one out of every four runs.  We never figured out the exact cause.  It likely was due to excessive nose dive when shutting the throttle off.  The trail is reduced when the nose dives.  Trail gives the bike stability.  The best chassis setup was minimal spring preload on the rear shocks, increased spring preload on the front forks, and no more than a half tank of gas.  Also, a light and gentle touch on the handlebars.  I moved the triple clamps up on the fork tubes to give me as much rake as possible.

Do not panic if you go into a wobble.  Hang on and go straight in the direction that you are pointed.  Eventually it will stop wobbling.  Make sure your clip-on bars are tightly bolted onto the fork tubes if you use them.  A loose bar adds to the fun.

Most folks have no wobble problems.  Hopefully you will be one of them.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »
Another help when in a speed wobble/tank slapper -- is to give it the gas.  Pin the throttle, and the front end lifts some, and that changes your geometry enough to get the front to settle down.  I know, I know -- when you're booking right along and the front starts getting wiggly -- it's not easy to get your wrist to twist for more speed - but it's what will work.  Nancy and I both have tried it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com