Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Bill Fulmer

• New folks
Noob Questions
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
New to this type of competition but not competition in general. I am planning to run in the RWB class and have a few questions to get started.

1) What is the altitude of the race course?

2) My bike is a 600cc sport bike,what are the best tires and pressures to use?

3) Is a steering dampener required?

4) I have read that getting traction is difficult,what is the best way to accelerate to safely reach the top speed?

Not looking to set any records just want to experience the salt and do it safely,no ambulance or helicopter rides!

Thanks in advance for any help.  Bill

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »
New to this type of competition but not competition in general. I am planning to run in the RWB class and have a few questions to get started.

1) What is the altitude of the race course?

2) My bike is a 600cc sport bike,what are the best tires and pressures to use?

3) Is a steering dampener required?

4) I have read that getting traction is difficult,what is the best way to accelerate to safely reach the top speed?

Not looking to set any records just want to experience the salt and do it safely,no ambulance or helicopter rides!

Thanks in advance for any help.  Bill

Bill Welcome to the site.   :cheers:

About 4K feet and at times 8400+ corrected

Stock ZR rated tires at about 36-40 front and rear

Yes

Smoothly and work your way up.

Have a good time and clean your bike, trailer/truck very well as soon as you can and do not use a high pressure washer.

John

Offline Bill Fulmer

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply John,another question,the RWB class is listed as a 3 mile course. Where are the timing lights located on the course? And what is the best way to slow down,coast,engine braking,rear brake or a combination? Thanks  Bill

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply John,another question,the RWB class is listed as a 3 mile course. Where are the timing lights located on the course? And what is the best way to slow down,coast,engine braking,rear brake or a combination? Thanks  Bill

Bill,

I am not sure of the RWB course..I have never ran it, I tried once however was told I could not..(same thing when Jon Amo and I asked about riding over 200 mph riding double)  as far as braking I would roll out off the throttle lightly and then slowly pull in the clutch while sitting up and make the first turn out you feel comfortable with..I have been 256 mph and never used the brakes to slow down back a few years ago and was able to safely turn off the course in under two miles.

For a motorcycle running under 200 mph you should be able to safely brake and turn out in well under a mile depending on the course conditions.

John

PS, I am sure Bob Baker or another RWB racer can give you the skinny on the timing light location..

Remember to go as fast as you can and have a great "safe" time.  :cheers:

John

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:34 AM »
i turn out at the mile and a quarter, but i am not nearly as fast as Noonan...LOL...No brakes at all, just ease out, and use your body as a sail, and you will be under a hundred in under a mile. 

good luck!
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »
i turn out at the mile and a quarter, but i am not nearly as fast as Noonan...LOL...No brakes at all, just ease out, and use your body as a sail, and you will be under a hundred in under a mile. 

good luck!

Speak for yourself! I sat up & the darn thing just kept rolling and rolling & rolling without slowing down! I finally had to use a little brake to turn out before a mile was up (on the "special" short course) cause I sure didn't want to hit the crispies at 70+ mph! That was on a 185 run. The rest of you probably think that's fun but not me! I'm like a little ole granny on the chunky stuff!  :-o That's what happens when you weren't a dirt bike rider as a kid!  :-D

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Stainless Two

• MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
some riders are bigger sails than others... :)  I do downshift a little if we are not trying to read the plugs...

209.093 mph best time

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »
some riders are bigger sails than others... :) 

Deb is more like a handkerchief than a sail.  I would think my big fat head would slow a bike down faster than all of her.  LOL
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Bill Fulmer

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »

good luck!

Well I am big enough if I was a sail I could rig a whaling schooner,so slowing shouldn't be a problem. :-o Thanks to all for the advice. :cheers:  Bill

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »
I only run 150 and turning off one mile is not a problem ... I just roll out of the throttle gently and sit up when I feel the engine pulling down .... I am set up for rear brake only but I dont touch it ... Joe

Offline 754

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »
Wont an 180mph or higher get you kicked off the RWB?

, seemed that way the last 2 years.

Offline Stainless Two

• MySpace Page
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »
being a 600, and maybe a rather large man as well (from previous post), 180mph may be a challenge to attain.  he will surely know after a shakedown run or 2 where he is prior to wacking the throttle full tilt boogie :)  just my $.20 (adjusted for Obamaflation...LOL :)

209.093 mph best time

Offline Bill Fulmer

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:20 PM »
No 180 mph unless I strap on the Acme jet assist from Wiley Coyote :-D Stock FZ-6,1st time hope to break 130,maybe. I am coming for the experince and to see what this all about.  Bill

Offline Stainless Two

• MySpace Page
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »
You may just suprise yourself!  Welcome, and have a great, safe time.  Careful though, the salt bug has a bite on most who come to sample the wares  :evil:

209.093 mph best time

Offline Bill Fulmer

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
  Anothe ?, My friend who is also planning on running has A Buell with belt drive,does the salt have any effect on the belt and does it need any special attention before or after a run?

Thanks  Bill