Author Topic: Tiger Racing offers Sneak Preview of new paint job  (Read 16692 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Tiger Racing offers Sneak Preview of new paint job
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
sounds like a lot of damage for oil film...... sure ya didnt have bad pump clearances? feed or supply issues? did ya plug off the balance shaft hole?lololololol
kent

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
Don't bite.  Royal Purple.  Now, I'n NO expert by any stretch of the word but...I've never had an issue with oil until I changed this winter...new sponsor and all.  Because of the oiling carnage and seeing it's effects in so many areas it really gives me pause.  Do I know that Royal Purple was my culprit beyond a shadow of a doubt?  NO.  But, in retrospect, I have never had a lack of oiling or oiling issues until I changed to Royal Purple.  Could it have been the fact that I was on the rev limiter with nitrous when I went thru the traps?  Maybe, been there before a few times.  Could it have been the new Crank from APE with his "chamfered" oil ports on the journals?  Maybe, don't know for sure.  Could it have been the set of cases that Rick Stetson at HMP changed the oiling ports and opened up the crank journals (the crank bearings were also damaged on the back side)?  Maybe, but don't know for sure.  I am going to go with 'D', all of the above contributed in some form or fashion.  i think my combination of these issues all played a role in my motors demise.
I have my old tried and true crank from my back-up motor, my old set of cases, and Kendall Oil for the future that I know works just fine when I rebuild this month.

guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline sabat

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »
Good luck with the rebuild Guy, see you at Maxton in 3+ weeks. -Dean

Offline 2fast4u2c

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 09:28:54 AM »
Dean,

Won't be back to Maxton until October.  I have a presentation to the 200mph club to make.  Sept 20 weekend is Family day at the 180th Fighter wing here in Toledo so I will miss the Sept. meet.  I will have my bike on display at their annual bike/car show and possibly drag race the F-16's again this year.  I sponsor the ANG in my racing and that's my wifes home base.  She is deployed overseas right now in the sandbox until Jan 2010.

Tiger Racing

Offline Warp12

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
Don't bite.  Royal Purple.  Now, I'n NO expert by any stretch of the word but...I've never had an issue with oil until I changed this winter...new sponsor and all.  Because of the oiling carnage and seeing it's effects in so many areas it really gives me pause.  Do I know that Royal Purple was my culprit beyond a shadow of a doubt?  NO.  But, in retrospect, I have never had a lack of oiling or oiling issues until I changed to Royal Purple.  Could it have been the fact that I was on the rev limiter with nitrous when I went thru the traps?  Maybe, been there before a few times.  Could it have been the new Crank from APE with his "chamfered" oil ports on the journals?  Maybe, don't know for sure.  Could it have been the set of cases that Rick Stetson at HMP changed the oiling ports and opened up the crank journals (the crank bearings were also damaged on the back side)?  Maybe, but don't know for sure.  I am going to go with 'D', all of the above contributed in some form or fashion.  i think my combination of these issues all played a role in my motors demise.
I have my old tried and true crank from my back-up motor, my old set of cases, and Kendall Oil for the future that I know works just fine when I rebuild this month.

guy

Guy, are you logging oil pressure? What type of oil pick up and pan are you using? Sure sounds like oil starvation.

But, I am also no expert...

Shane

Offline nakeum

• New folks
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
sounds like a lot of damage for oil film...... sure ya didnt have bad pump clearances? feed or supply issues? did ya plug off the balance shaft hole?lololololol
kent

the balancer shaft won't do that either will leaving in the hex plug with block off plates, you should still get oil pressure

Offline sabat

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »
Dean,

Won't be back to Maxton until October.  I have a presentation to the 200mph club to make.  Sept 20 weekend is Family day at the 180th Fighter wing here in Toledo so I will miss the Sept. meet.  I will have my bike on display at their annual bike/car show and possibly drag race the F-16's again this year.  I sponsor the ANG in my racing and that's my wifes home base.  She is deployed overseas right now in the sandbox until Jan 2010.

Good on ya, safe journey for Mrs. Tiger. I can't make the Oct meet, so see you around :)

Offline 2fast4u2c

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 01:53:55 PM »
Kent,

The pump is flawless, the balancer shaft hole has been welded for years, I use a stock oil pan and over fill by 250ml.  No, no oil starvation but thanks for your concern.  And the 1 thing I don't monitor is oil pressure so again, it could be a number of issues or a combination of issues.  But I can tell you that nothing changed this year except the Crank from APE with the rod journals chamfered, the cases from Stetson (which are now in the aluminum trash can) and the oil.

pretty much all I can tell you.

Tiger Racing

Offline sabat

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »
Send the cases to Bo Burkdoll for Save the Salt plaques :)

Kinda warms my heart to think of my old cylinder head getting a new life as a thing of beauty.  :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 04:06:08 PM »
Speaking of Bo's project, Fred Vance's original cases and stuff (from the junker 'Busa he bought) are in the basket in Wendover awaiting Bo's arrival.  If you're out there for any of the events -- you can probably drop the stuff off at our pit and we'll get it to him.  Make sure you tell us what the stuff is -- so I don't have the place looking like an aluminum junkyard.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 05:42:07 PM »
...have you considered oil "additives".....

Guy, its going to be SOOOOO awesome when you get the
speed your looking for......!!!!!......

every obstacle thus far will "MAKE" the accomplishment......

Offline 2fast4u2c

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »
Joe,

I learned a ton with this motor tear down.  A lot of what NOT to do's.  I'm going back to my tried and true oil  - Kendall.  We ran that for years in our 500hp Nitrous GS motor'd Pro-mods.  I also have been running that for a long time with ZERO issues.  When I would take my motor apart, the bearings were always pristine.  The pistons may have been burnt to a crisp, but the bearings, wrist pins, crank journals were always awesome.

But I WAS on a run for sure.  Went thru the traps at 223 in 5th on the rev limit.  It just wouldn't shift 6th on the auto shifter (found that problem too).  I tried to auto shift from 5th to 6th and by the time I realized it wasn't shifting I had to let off the nitrous and do the foot thing all the while I was tagging the nitrous button to keep the R's up in the event I got it in 6th.  My road race boot foot caught some wind when I moved it off the pegs (I always ride like a jockey on my toes) and got dragged backwards like a wishbone at 220mph and by the time I got it back under the shift lever it was too late.  So another poor excuse of a race story to share.  But, man it was pulling like a freight train.  It was the 180hp tuneup and it was screaming.  I can't wait to try again soon.

Tiger Racing

Offline Warp12

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »

I learned a ton with this motor tear down.  A lot of what NOT to do's.  I'm going back to my tried and true oil  - Kendall.  We ran that for years in our 500hp Nitrous GS motor'd Pro-mods.  I also have been running that for a long time with ZERO issues.  When I would take my motor apart, the bearings were always pristine.  The pistons may have been burnt to a crisp, but the bearings, wrist pins, crank journals were always awesome.

It sounds like you feel that the Royal Purple oil was a big factor in your engine failure. I really thought that Royal Purple was a well proven oil, even in more demanding applications than yours? Any special formulation you were using?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:21:42 PM by Warp12 »

Offline 2fast4u2c

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 08:43:55 PM »
I do believe that the failure of my motor was due to many contributing factors.  Since the change of lubrication material was one of the  major changes I made, I must deduce it had a hand in the failure of my motor.  i am not willing to continue with an unproven oil in my motor.  I say unproven only to me, not the rest of the world. I was using the 10-40 version.
As I stated in my earlier post, I believe there were other factors as well.  I think it was part of a multi component failure and did not help matters at all.

Tiger Racing

Offline shiphteey

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
Hey Guy, just heard about the motor letting go now.  Heard some word about it in the pits but didn't see you later on Sunday to verify the claim from the horse's mouth.  I hope you get it sorted out and go 240 by October. 

Thanks again for the cold one @ the bar, I'm having another one as I type this.   :-P  I dont' know how much of it you remember but I remember us talking about our speed goals at Loring and you saying that if you couldn't run the number by Saturday you'd go all out and potentially blow it if need be on Sunday.  Although its definately a bummer there are some key points that you may find helpful.

1)  Catastrophic motor failure at over 200 mph and you walked away unharmed.
2)  Slipped footing off the bike at over 200 mph and you walked away unharmed.
3)  Blown up motor and you have the ability to recover, rebuild and race again just a few months later.

If you recall, you asked how come I haven't upped the spray to which I replied I simply don't have the money to recover as quickly should it blow up.  We both agreed then that my methodology of staying with a relatively tame shot now for my 4th year of LSR would be wise.  As mush as it may suck for you right now, remember that you have the ability from a financial aspect to bounce back and continue.  That right there is something to be grateful for.   :cheers:  It would be nice to run the speeds I did at Loring over at Maxton and chase your speeds.  Maybe one day the toothfairy will leave me a few thousand dollars and some built motors under my pillow  :-)  Till then enjoy your runs  8-)

One piece of advice, take it with a grain of salt.  I've made very small changes over the last 4 years spraying nitrous and picked up speed here and there.  It might be worth looking into going back to your tried and true configuration and only making one small change at at time.  The HP is there and the Busa is a proven platform.  I think Warp12 also makes a good point about logging oil pressure. 

Ali
Gemini Motorcycles
229.6 mph at Loring
201.957 mph 2-way average @ Bonneville;
203.85 @ the Maxton Mile
207.2 @ Maxton -- NAKED
200.2 mph @ TX Mile
195.6 mph on GPS @ the 9/10ths
9.4 @ 157 in the 1/4