Author Topic: FIM Streamliners  (Read 11231 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: FIM Streamliners
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
My first post regarding the new FIM rule was  to inform......not to start an analysis of any past or posibly future LSR accidents.....................
75% of smart is knowing what you are dumb at....and as I noted before I know very little about
solo LSR M/C liners.  With this in mind I think we should leave any and all "analysis" regarding
flat-bottomed M/C liners up to the people that have either raced or built M/C liners.
Mr. Pork Pie has done none of the above, in fact I believe the closed Mr. Pie has been to LSR has been as a spectator in my way of thinking this
certainly does not make him a "expert" in accident investigation.  If Mr. Pie has any "expertise" at all it would be in the area of 4
wheel streamliners as I have up to this time not seen him in person at the BUB M/C Trials.
in fact I believe the closed Mr. Pie has been to LSR has been as a spectator in my way of thinking this

in fact of this......I think Dan Warner was right.......see ya..........
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:25:40 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline ack

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »
There are a lot of rumors concerning Cliff’s accident I don’t know how Pork Pie came to his conclusion but I don’t believe he was privy to the investigation.  There were a lot of factors involved in the accident and I am sure they were all considered in making adjustments to the rules in the interest of safety. A lot of good and knowledgeable people worked on the investigation.

The other issue of which there has been much discussion between interested parties over the last few years has been whether a streamlined vehicle that can not tip side to side really meets the definition of a motorcycle. A motorcycle in the historic sense has always used leaning and counter steering as a means of control.  The rules say that streamliner skids must be retracted as soon as the vehicle is stable.  A vehicle which in effect drags its skids which are the outer underside of the body really doesn’t meet this definition. Everyone involved did not want to stifle innovation as this is what the ultimate speed records are about but as motorsport history has shown all innovation is not good innovation and sometimes it takes some empirical data to determine what should be allowed.  You can still have a flat bottomed vehicle as long as it can tip 20 degrees from side to side.         

Offline willieworld

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »
  for  FIM         skids are not required on a sidecar----neither mine  or my wifes bike  will not lean 20 degrees left or right   maybe 8 degrees  to the right   0 to the left                     willie buchta
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:58:48 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
Thank you, Ack.................as noted before....... all I was doing
was informing regarding a change and/or addition to the FIM rules. 

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
Earth to Willlie---Over

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »
yes   larrry                                     willie buchta

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
Other than safety there are two totaly different rule structures for solo and sidecar streamliners. This thread is pertaining to solo liners. Obviously a sidecar anything can't lean. Most racing sidecars are flat on the bottom, usually have a covering of sheetmetal, composite or whatever to streamline the bottom. Skids, do we really need to go there?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
you are right larry---i was having a senior moment ---beam me up larry    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta