Author Topic: Classification question for 1957 Corvette  (Read 14518 times)

Offline J_Rod

• New folks
Classification question for 1957 Corvette
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »
I decided I am going to build my 57 Corvette for Bonneville. I was going through the 2009 rulebook and I could not find the class that my car could run in. Right now the car is a basket case.

The chassis will probably end up being made out of round tubing or rectangular tubing with a straight drop axle on the front and a quick change in the rear because the car sat outside on a hill for 37 years and the frame is to far go to repair for it to be remotely safe to drive.

The body is stock and the doors are staying in the original location, however, there is no windshield frame and they are to expensive to buy if you can find one.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Classification question for 1957 Corvette
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »
I've heard of barn finds.  What would you call this -- a gardener's special?  And about the doors staying in the original location -- you mean on the car, not in the woods, right?

Sorry -- sometimes I just can't help it.  Best wishes on the '57.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline J_Rod

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
thanks, i bought 2 corvettes at the same time. the 56 vette was in the barn and I am making it a resto mod. The only way I could buy the 56 vette is if I bought the 57 on top of the hill also. The doors to the 57 are mint, they were kept in the barn with the 56. As for the doors being in the original location, I meant I am not glassing them shut or stretching the front end. leaving the wheelbase stock.

Here is a pic of the 56 I am restoring.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
Well that wooden air scoop doesn't look very aerodynamic :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »
But it sounds like your car will be a Modified Sportscar. Love those early 'Vetts.

Offline J_Rod

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:54:47 PM »
my dad did a resto mod with his 57 corvette. between the two of use we have 3 corvettes. When I drive his vette the front end gets real light and gets loose (I guess thats the terminology for it) and I am wondering what I could do when I build my 57 to prevent this condition.

Offline Bville701

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
my dad did a resto mod with his 57 corvette. between the two of use we have 3 corvettes. When I drive his vette the front end gets real light and gets loose (I guess thats the terminology for it) and I am wondering what I could do when I build my 57 to prevent this condition.

Put lots of weight iin it.

I think Rich is right you might fit in the Modified Sports class.

Good luck with your project.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline J_Rod

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »
i just read the rules for that class and it does look like my car will fit into that class. From what I read I cannot make the grille opening longer and have a narrower opening. I was also looking at doing away with the headlights and placing a cone shape piece in there place to help with aerodynamics and I was looking at opening up the fender vents and having those connected to the air filter.

An example of kind of what I am looking to do with the corvette.

I peak the headlights, the pic got deleted so here is just the pic of the 57 corvette sebring w/o the diffuser behind the drivers head. I also read in the rules but I dont know if they would consider this streamlining or no

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:49:36 PM by J_Rod »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »
Read Modified Sports again, unless the 09 (which I still don't have yet  :| ) rule book is way different you can do anything ahead of the firewall and as long as you headrest fairing does not go past the back of the body you can have one of those. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »
Yep, Stainless is correct, page 70-71 in the new rule book.  Use the rules to your advantage and have fun.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline J_Rod

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »
Thanks for the help, It will be several weeks before I get my round stock for the tube chassis to get started on the car.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
J_Rod,

Your topic brought back fond memories. Back in the early '70's I bought a '57 Corvette Drag Car W/O engine and trans. Paid $200 for it. I cut off the HEAVY front suspension and put a straight axle under it. Then bolted the doors shut and glassed them on the inside for strength. Ground and glassed the front bumper flanges. Glassed in the grill. The body hinged like a Funny Car.

To make a long story short, I sold the grill bar and windshield for $100 each.

I sure wish I had just fixed it up and put it back on the street!!!!!!

Good luck on your project!

Tom

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
Hotshue's doing a sports modified - here's his build diary

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3585.0.html

Sounds like your plans are similar.

Good luck! :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 02:21:47 PM »
Quote from: J_Rod on April 26, 2009, 06:54:47 PM
Put lots of weight iin it.

I think Rich is right you might fit in the Modified Sports class.

Good luck with your project.   

I would suggest something else than using weigh to cure an aerodynamic stability issue. This, in my opinion, is asking for problems. 
I feel a better course of action is to determine what is causing the lift at speed and modifying the car (MS class allows almost unlimited front end mods) accordingly to eliminate the problem. Add weight for traction if needed, and balance the car with weight forward accordingly….just not to keep the front from taking flight!

*sorry, didn’t mean to be a D**K, BV701.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline J_Rod

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
thanks for all of the replies, I have yet to get started on the fabrication of the car. Have a few projects ahead of this one, need to finish my model a and do an engine swap on my mustang. I am planning on attending Bonneville for speed week as a spectator and get an idea of what horsepower and suspension and aero everyone is running. I do like the idea of making the car more aerodynamically correct because my goal is to get in the 200mph club my first time competing at speed week