Author Topic: Hinckley Triumph threaded inserts  (Read 2753 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Hinckley Triumph threaded inserts
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »
Help is needed here.  New products cannot be installed using tried-and-true caveman methods.

Threaded inserts are used on the swingarm to attach the chain guard and other ancillaries.  A photo shows one in the original swingarm.  The new swingarm has a hexagon shaped hole for the insert.  I tried to press an insert into the hole with an arbor press.  Things got ugly.  The insert crushed and the hole got distorted.  The insert did not go in.  New inserts are shown alongside the damaged one.

What are these things called?  How do you install them?  Can I order them from someone besides Triumph? 

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Hinckley Triumph threaded inserts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »
They're often called a threadsert and are installed with a special tool available at most industrial supply stores. Yours should have pushed into the hole by applying the force to the threaded part which when tightened further collapses so the insert holds in a similar fashion to a pop rivet. Although I've never tried it, they could probably be installed using a suitable length bolt and one or two AN washers. In that case I'd be inclined to make sure the threads were well lubed.

Pete
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:40:30 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
Google- threaded inserts   or  nut serts.  Lots of stuff listed. I used many nut certs in blind areas and in tubing etc.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
Wobbly;

Google "Rivnut", these look like them. They are spec'ed by diameter, grip length, and style (round, hex, knurled, etc).

These are useful little buggers.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »
Couple hints from many years installing such:

Accurate hole required for intallation.

If repeated removal required use AIRCRAFT quality inserts . (Probably nut plates better if you can get behind the part to which thry're being installed.

Use proper grip range.

If in aluminum and anodizing is to be required and inserts are steel, anodize first
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:36 AM »

I'm not sure where you can buy the tool near you , but if you are ever in Australia!
I know where i can get it near me, but that doesn't really help you
I have a small rivnut tool made by Wurth in Germany that looks like a hand riveter  that does about 3mm to 6mm and a much larger one made by Trax(kawasaki) that does up to about 10mm in steel
but after a quick look at aircraftspruce
 you can get a kit in the
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/nutserttools.php
The hex ones you can get from
http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/hexnut.htm
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 12:52:43 AM »
Plans are to race in Australia before I get too old.  I ordered a small tool to install them.  All of the info helped.  These things are very handy.

-Bo

Offline rebelce

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
I've installed them using a grade 8 nut and bolt. You need something like a flat piece under the nut (well greased) that you can hold like a handle. You must hold the bolt as well or it will screw down into the rivnut. Then tighten the nut down until it seats.  1/4 inch can be done with a hand tool but those big beggars take some torque! That's why you need grade 8.