Author Topic: The Camaro came back.  (Read 5907 times)

McRat

The Camaro came back.
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:41:20 PM »
And they killed Pontiac???

Pontiac is being dissolved as of next week I hear.  And the 2010 Camaro is out at the dealers now.  A 304HP V6 with direct injection  :-o that goes 0-60 in 6 seconds flat, and a 426HP V8 that is the most powerful production Camaro of all time.  Chevy rates their engines at the more conservative new SAE spec, so this new Camaro might actually cut a high 11 second ET off the showroom floor with the right driver and the manual trans.

Going to be a strange year for GM.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: The Camaro came back.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:43:58 AM »
Pontiac is the third best seller in the GM lineup, but it's the odd man out.

Most dealers are Buick-Pontiac-GMC. The Buick is a strong seller in China, even though the sales are far less than the Pontiac.

Oh, and the Buick makes money and the Pontiac doesn't
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
Perhaps Pontiac deserved to die after the Aztek.  It was crime against humanity.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »
your tax dollars at work.... maybe you should contact the government to complain...
Oh, success is bad, change is good....  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »
I remain confused why GM is losing ground.  The Malibu is great car, superior to the Camary at a lower price, Buick is one of the highest rated cars, Silverado remains the pickup that defines the top of it's class, the Corvette is arguably the best sportscar for the money, outperforming cars costing twice as much or more.

The new Camaro will be even more proof that the American engineers at GM are the world's best at achieving a set goal.  It stunned me when we bought our Corvette back in 2002.  It got an honest 28mpg highway with 2 people, luggage, and an average speed of 70mph.  It blistered the local dragstrips with 11.9 second ET's with nothing but a tire change, and it tore up the AutoX track, cutting better laps than Vipers or AWD Porsches (GT2?). 

But for some reason GM sucks at selling cars/trucks.  Here GM, let me give you some help:

opening shot, Aircraft Hanger at night, flashing red lights, and interior hanger lights.  Nobody and no planes around.  Fades slowly.
Flash to red Camaro SS ripping past camera at top speed. Brief shot.
Flash to black Camaro SS sliding around corner at roadrace course.  Brief shot.
Night shot again.  Headlights turn on aimed at camera.  New Camaro pulls forward slowly and pulls into very well lit A&W burger joint parking lot with lots of hotrods and young attractive people milling about, and they turn their heads when the Camaro pulls up and revs it's engine...

Secrets out.  This is what was in the hanger at Area 51.

426 tire shredding horsepower, 26 miles per gallon highway, classic good looks. 

A modern musclecar for the new generation.

Zoom, zoom, zoom my ass.

Flash to monster burnout on aircraft runway

The Chevrolet Camaro is back.  With a vengence.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »
The new Camaro looks like it was designed by George Trosley  :mrgreen:

Mike

http://www.georgetrosley.com/
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 01:20:59 PM »
I was riding my bike north on I-71 from Columbus yesterday, cruising along at a comfortable 70 mph, when a black 2010 Camaro slinked by me in the left lane doing maybe 75. Instantly got weak in the knees, lost my concentration, forgot for a second I was on a bike.... DAMN that thing was sexy!  :-o
I hear the Z-28 may be back for 2011 (if GM is still around) offering a V-8 between 480-500 hp.   I. WANT. ONE.
 :lol:
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »
Look at the bright side...With no Pontiac,they can`t  take the Camaro and glue a big screaming chicken on the hood. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 08:37:56 AM »
The new Camaro looks like it was designed by George Trosley  :mrgreen:

Mike

http://www.georgetrosley.com/

I don't care how much horse power it makes.  I looks to me like it was designed by the Aztec design team.  They had the RS and the SS.  Now they can label one the POS.
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

McRat

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
They said the same thing about the C5 Corvette, and Dodge Ram pickup.  It's one of those "love or hate it" things I suppose.  I've never been one to base much on styling.  Function rules form IMO.

What I see is an affordable GM mid-sized performance car again.  Yeah, the Holden-derived GTO kind of fit the bill, but not quite.

The 4th Gen Z-28 (1998-2002) dominated AutoX racing in F-Stock.  Dirty little secret is that they made the Camaro a good handling car for what it is.  Reviews are indicating that this one will be even better.

Hopefully they have more headroom or a T-Top option so I will fit better:

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »