Author Topic: Chet Herbert  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Chet Herbert
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:58:28 PM »
Just received an e-mail from Doug Herbert that his Dad passed away this morning. Chet was a long time racer, cam grinder, builder , designer of land speed and drag racing vehicles. Chet had been sick for some time with pneumonia. A true innovator. Another pioneer has gone to the big straight away in the SKY. RIP CHESTER. :cry:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Chet Herbert
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »
Condolances to Doug and the rest of the family. As Glen said a true innovator and a great part of our sport. RIP Chet
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Bville701

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »
RIP Chet. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.   :cry:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline AJR192

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:33 AM »
This is gearing up to be a very somber year in regards to the losses of heroes and old salts. RIP Chet.

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »
godspeed, chet!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline Tom Bryant

• http://www.bryantauto.com
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
Chet was an amazing man with vision who lived outside the box, dedicated to research and perfection.

My first Chevrolet, about 1961 or '62, was built by Dale Allen and ran in Bob Solesbe's roadster. At the time, I had the fastest "D" roadster around the 1/4 mile, but a bit short on ETs, running six Stromberg 97s on a 300 inch Desoto. Most everyone was running 115-16 mph in the quarter, we were running 122 mph, but breaking lots of con rods. Bob sold the roadster and I ended up storing the Chevy engine for a time. I finally decided that the Desoto was time for replacement, five sleeves from breaking rods and the last sleeve did not seal out the water adequately so we put the Chevy in.

Dale's 300 cu. in. Chevy had a Herbert Cam and Hilborn Injection. Their best time was around 116 mph at the 1/4. Dale and I took the car to Fontana on a Saturday night and ran 116 mph. The next weekend, I had convinced Dale to drop the gear and as a result we ran 129 mph, breaking the national record. However, the record went to a roadster from Half Moon Bay that ran 129 mph also and they backed up the speed at another strip before we did. Never the less, That started my love affair with the 300 cu in Chevy. I have never run anything else since.

Some where I read a story about Chet some time back. Sort of a bio. As I remember, he married and shortly contacted polio because of swimming in a canal in Arizona. It seems that he also lost his wife. Can't remember the order of events. Does any one know where I can find the story.
I don't understand..."It won't work!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC
 - LSR since 1955 - www.bryantauto.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »
Tom
Try to google his name.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
We built a 288" Chevy Gas Roadster about the same time as Tom.  We usually ran C at Fontana, was an A in NHRA because of weight.  Didn't run the first Winternationals 'cause the wanted a huge ($25) entry fee as I remember.  Anyway -- we were big Herbert car fans.

To me, the biggest victory of all the Herbert cars was when Lefty Mudersbach won Bakersfield.  Two "little" unblown Chevies against the big, bad blown Chryslers.  Lots of other factors involved here -- the little Chevies weren't that little, I understand.  The car hooked up sooner.  And as I (choose to) remember, Lefty always seemed to get the right lane and drove around the starter as he turned to raise the flag.  It's one of my favorite memories.  Maybe it didn't happen that way, but I choose to remember it that way.

I've got a complete Herbert cam and kit in the original wooden box for the 327 I was going to put in my street roadster when it was a street roadster.  May have to do that some day.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »
 My family ran Chets stuff when we raced at Ascot in the late 70's. The ol' Guys are leaving us and are sure gonna be missed.
 If theres racing in heaven you know they have one hell of a team!
 GodSpeed Mr. Herbert
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:04:10 AM »
Another great pioneer gone. 

My heart goes out the the Herbert family, they have been through a bunch the last few years.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 11:43:16 PM »
Doug Herbert if you are out there my heart goes out to you. You have endured what no person should have to. My prayers are with you. Hope you still continue with the Streamliner project. Hope to see you on the Salt in August. God speed to your Dad.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »
Tough couple of years for Doug and his family.

Our thoughts are with the entire Herbert family.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."