Author Topic: Aftermarket fenders and hoods in CGALT?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

Aftermarket fenders and hoods in CGALT?
« on: June 05, 2005, 11:17:48 PM »
Hey, everyone: I'm planning to run my '80 Pinto wagon as a classic gas altered coupe, and I was wondering if I can a) use an aftermarket fiberglass hood and/or b) use an entire aftermarket fiberglass front clip--basically replacing all the outer sheet metal ahead of the windshield with a fiberglass front end (for an idea of what I'm talking about, check out this link: http://www.hairyglass.com/images/625%201.jpg ).

The "Classic Category" section on pg. 56 of the '05 rulebook states: "Entries must be unaltered in height, width and contour with all stock panels (i.e. hoods, fenders, doors, etc.) mounted in their original relationship to each other." So that would seem to say that you can't use a fiberglass hood or fenders unless the stock hood and fenders on the original car were fiberglass.

On the next page, under "Modified Category," the rules state: "This category encompasses American and foreign coupes and sedans unaltered in height, width or contour, and with all stock panels mounted in original relationship to each other...." That seems to be saying the same thing, at least about the stock panels.

Two pages later, in the "Gas Altered Coupe" paragraph, the rules say: "...unaltered in height, width, length or contour, mounted in the conventional manner with all panels mounted in the original relationship to each other. No "stock" panels here, just "panels." Are an aftermarket fiberglass hood and fenders okay here? Or am I just being ridiculous?

In any case, let me just say that I'M NOT TRYING TO GET AROUND THE RULES. And before I do anything, I'll check with the proper rules committee member. But I definitely would like to lighten up the front end of the car if it's legal to do so, and I guess I kind of assumed (yeah, I know what they say about that...) that even if fiberglass fenders are a no-go, a glass hood wouldn't be a problem. But if it is, well, then, I'll start cutting a hole in the stock sheet metal for the hood scoop...  :mrgreen:

Thanks--

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

John Beckett

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:07:21 AM »
It's my understanding that fiberglass replacement parts are OK as long as they maintain the factory shapes/countours. Very few of the roadsters out there are original steel.

JB

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 11:22:21 AM »
I have been using a fiberglass front end on my Vega since 1980 with no complaint from anyone yet.