Author Topic: Surface conditions at Loring  (Read 16898 times)

Offline Frank06

Re: Surface conditions at Loring
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
There's a lot of deer and moose being driven out of the woods right now by the !@#$%^&* mosquitos (we've had a pretty wet time of it lately.)  A few years ago our town road commissioner hit a moose in his dump truck and totaled it (the truck that is - the moose walked away.)
E-Racer

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2009, 07:56:41 PM »
Gee, Frank, would you like to apply as our LTA Public Relations guy ?
I was up there June 3, had my regular local cop stop for doing 70 in a 50 zone. As I opened the window, 147 Skeeters blew in, intent on dining on non-local blood. The cop let me go with another warning, and the skeeters  were subdued by the AC.
The actual consensus is the biting insects are not an issue out on the runway, due to lack of cover and a usual slight breeze. The legendary Black flies are gone in July.
The camping/RV parking area is also distant from the aforementioned cover and wet  areas , and taking the usual insect repellant precautions should seem to be all that's necessary.
Your mileage and blood donation experiences may vary, but seasoned campers know the drill.
My only concern is the migrating Snowsmoses, the Northern variety of the Jackalope.
Bob W

Offline tedgram

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
I was up there June 3, had my regular local cop stop for doing 70 in a 50 zone. As I opened the window, 147 Skeeters blew in, intent on dining on non-local blood. The cop let me go with another warning, and the skeeters  were subdued by the AC.
The actual consensus is the biting insects are not an issue out on the runway, due to lack of cover and a usual slight breeze. The legendary Black flies are gone in July.
The camping/RV parking area is also distant from the aforementioned cover and wet  areas , and taking the usual insect repellant precautions should seem to be all that's necessary.
Your mileage and blood donation experiences may vary, but seasoned campers know the drill.
My only concern is the migrating Snowsmoses, the Northern variety of the Jackalope.
Bob W

The black flys will be gone next month, but then we have minges and horse fly's in the hotter weather.  :wink:

Offline Frank06

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »

Oh yeah - that's me, Mr. Public Relations.

Actually, I think I could do a pretty good job, as long as I didn't have to actually talk to anybody...   :roll:
E-Racer

Offline ncdragster

• New folks
    • http://www.waynepollack.com
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
This may not be the place, but since it was already mentioned somewhat..... Bob, could you tell us what the temperatures are normally that time of year?
I will not tiptoe through life lightly, only to arrive at death safely.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
Weather Underground site :
http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KCAR&SafeCityName=Caribou&StateCode=ME&Units=none&IATA=CAR

Shows averages, rain, etc. Probably the best days of the year for our purposes.
Bob W

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
From a show of hands at the drivers meeting Saturday it appears That about 25% of those there plan on attending the meet at Loring.