Author Topic: Surface conditions at Loring  (Read 16903 times)

Offline Jerry O

Surface conditions at Loring
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:00:19 AM »
If all goes well, I plan on running my streamliner at the Loring event later this year. What I need to know is how does the surface of the track, pit area and return roads compare to the Maxton track. My car is a flat bottom design ( much like the Costella cars) and has very little ride height so large bumps, pot hole etc. will be a problem for me. Allthough I have not ran my car at Maxton yet, I think I have it set up to run there with little problems.  The car does have adjustable suspension so I can make some changes if needed. Its a long drive from NC , so I want to make sure I come ready as possible. Any info on this will be a great help.          Thanks..........JerryO

Offline sabat

Re: Surface conditions at Loring
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:19:04 AM »
I think Bob Wanner posted that the surface was smoother than Maxton, and will have friction coefficient numbers at some point.

But mostly I want to see pics of your progress - is there a build thread?

Dean

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »
Thanks Dean on the track info. I have been taking photos of the build but have not started a build thread yet. Hope to do that soon. Now if I can get my car to run as good as your bike, I will be a happy camper. Great job!!

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »
Hi Jerry ,
Briefly I'll touch on stuff already discussed on other threads on these forums. As I drove my car up there a few times , I have an idea of the surface, and can relate about it.
We have not chosen our exact route, lengthwise, but it is generally very smooth, and probably appropriate for even a non suspended vehicle. Our Maine pal Mark, has a Porsche running only 88mm off the ground at max suspension compression. The track total surface is 1000ft concrete, followed by 10,000ft asphalt, 1000ft concrete, and final 1000ft asphalt. The Maine State Troopers Accident Investigation unit are running a C of F training exercise within the next few months to ascertain traction characteristics for tuning and tire choices to be publicized asap they relay them to us.
Make your reservations now at the Caribou Inn, ask for the LTA racers discount..
http://www.caribouinn.com/flash/
Glad you are coming, you sound like a candidate for FT of the Meet...four wheeled, anyway
Bob Wanner...starting to have fun, fer sure 

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
"it is generally very smooth, and probably appropriate for even a non suspended vehicle",
Let me reemphasize "probably". 
I've had some discussions with our LTA core group, leads me to elaborate on that statement.
There are minor surface disruptions and very slight grade changes, imperceptible to the majority of racers that would possibly be experienced only by very high speed unsuspended vehicles . After LTA/09, everybody can discuss those experiences with those that made runs about their take on the entire weekend.
This is all about Safety on a previously untried surface, and although we believe it is probably (there's that word again)  the best mile and a half LSR track existent, we don't want anybody to be disappointed , for whatever personal reason they find.

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:30 AM »
Thank you Bob for the track info. I can't wait to make a pass on a 1.5 mile track.  Sounds like it will be a great event.  Thanks again..... JerryO

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »
Coefficient of Friction test update...
The Maine State Police notified us today they plan to be on the runway either the last week of May or the first week of June. As soon as we get a date, we'll have a LTA delegation up to assist (annoy)  and relay the info ASAP.
We're still working on additional lodging choices , especially for RVs and Campers.
Stay tuned.
Bob W

LVMAXX

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:12:08 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:45:31 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »
Elevation on site about 700ft. As it's a runway, it is really really level.
Check below, navigate mouse for in/out and Aerial
 http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=13&Z=19&X=365&Y=3250&W=3
BOB W

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
Correction on that elevation quote of 700ft. It seems I might have been incorrectly quoting info I've not personally researched. From the Topo I just sent, it appears to be more like around 230 ft Altitude above sea level.
Could be beach property in a few years if the more dire environmental predictions are true. Another reason reason to see it now !
BOB the errorer W

LVMAXX

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:45:55 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
I found the following site,http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/ which labels the start line area at 742 ft above Sea Level.
These Topo maps used to be Free, now hard to find at those prices.
Check it out !
BOB The Weary W

LVMAXX

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:45:04 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »
Can you see the surface yet?

Offline entropy