Author Topic: British Steam Car  (Read 13184 times)

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
Re: British Steam Car
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »
No return cea broke again back out tomorrow
Mike cook jr

Offline DallasV

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 12:30:59 PM »
could this be one of those "cursed" records? Fear the 1906 Stanley Steamer   :evil:
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 12:53:58 PM »
On their website they speak of the hard conditions at Edwards. 100 degrees 14 hour days. Mike and Mike Jr. must be chuckling under their breath. I'd like to forget how many 100 degree days they've been in. However across the pond they are waiting for their first one.

I believe they've made it to complicated. in 1906 how complicated could it have been. We all have the computer age to thank...........JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jl222

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
On their website they speak of the hard conditions at Edwards. 100 degrees 14 hour days. Mike and Mike Jr. must be chuckling under their breath. I'd like to forget how many 100 degree days they've been in. However across the pond they are waiting for their first one.

I believe they've made it to complicated. in 1906 how complicated could it have been. We all have the computer age to thank...........JD

You got it JD I was just thinking how the Brits. should go back to 1906 and see how he did it.

JL222

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 04:53:17 PM »
Stan. 

We do not have the space (length of tracks) to test cars that well before we have to crate them up and send them to the USA.  What looks good on our airfileds may not work straightaway once it reaches America.  Think 'e=motion' the electric car in Nevada and now 'Inspiration' in California.  Even the rocket bike had only made four timed runs in the UK during the British Speed Attempt before it was taken to Bonneville.

I feel sure that the 'keep it simple' principle could be applied to many projects but in doing that no great progress is ever made.  A Stanley boiler and engine would probably go quicker than the 1906 record in a modern construction but engineers have to push forward.  This team are seeking 175 mph.

Whilst team members would have experienced watching the racing at Bonneville I think only Jerry Bliss had experienced any lerngth of time on a US desert, having been with Thruist SSC programme ten years ago at Black Rock (and testing in Jordan).

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 06:12:10 PM »
could this be one of those "cursed" records? Fear the 1906 Stanley Steamer   :evil:

As a Chicago Cubs fan, who haven't won a World Series since 1908, I know about cursed records.

I feel for the Brits on this one, but I suspect we'll see a new steam car record long before we see a Cubs world championship.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »
Yabut --

The Cubs try every year -- maybe this hasn't been attempted since 1911 or so.  The Stanley Bros. went on to make pretty-much reliable passenger cars.  Maybe this "new" technology will bring back the Alvis!

Somebody please tell us what the h*ll was that car that ran at El Mirage 20 or 30 years ago was.  Steam?  You know, the one that kinda exploded and them hissed off to the east.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
The "Steam'n Demon"
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »

As a Chicago Cubs fan, who haven't won a World Series since 1908, I know about cursed records.

I feel for the Brits on this one, but I suspect we'll see a new steam car record long before we see a Cubs world championship.

You mean to tell me that the last time the Cubs won a World Series steam powered cars were rolling up and down the roads?
And I thought my Cleveland Indians were cursed!  :-o
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »

You mean to tell me that the last time the Cubs won a World Series steam powered cars were rolling up and down the roads?
And I thought my Cleveland Indians were cursed!  :-o

Hell, the paint on the very first Model T's hadn't even dried.

GO TRIBE!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »
Well the attempts have been called off........... Till Mon giving the team a chance to catch up on some well needed r&r and parts for the car. Every time they make a down run they go over the record speed but it seems to brake the little things before they can return. I am sure we will SE them break it before the end of the week my guess is 130 and change. Thought this was real cool got to sit and talk to sir Malcolm Campbell grandson wow wow wow very nice man and great storeys buy for now I will post more Mon.
Mike cook jr

Offline Freud

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 12:36:19 AM »
Thanks, Mikey.  Remember, just be patient. You don't have to thrash on it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »
Back in action at EAFB the team found what they think to be the problem. Dirty water stoping up the filtters so they have worked on it over the weekend also on mon to resolve that problem they sound really confident. About five min away from first run
Mike cook jr

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
Entry speed 128.011 kilo speed 133.261 mile speed 132.755 exit speed 136 turn around has began.hopefuly  everything is good back in 1 hour
Mike cook jr

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 11:06:43 AM »
It's 26 minutes -- and we're hoping that the turnaround goes well and that the car backs up the speed -- maybe even with a faster pass. Thanks for the updates, Mike -- reminds me of what we're expected to do at the Shootout.

Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com