Author Topic: British Steam Car  (Read 13181 times)

Offline NS_Rider

• New folks
British Steam Car
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
I heard talk of this project last year, and just came across a video from Daily Planet. Here's the link for anyone interested.
Craig

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-CA&brand=sympatico&vid=0422847e-224d-496b-b8a2-da8b0f59ef34

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: British Steam Car
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »
I've just received an update on the British Steam Car at Edwards AFB.  The news release is not posted on the home page of this website.

One question comes to mind, though:  Who is/are the "representatives of the Southern Timing Association"?

Enjoy the article, folks.  Looks like at Edwards it's so hot that they hardly need the boilers!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
I've just received an update on the British Steam Car at Edwards AFB.  The news release is not posted on the home page of this website.

One question comes to mind, though:  Who is/are the "representatives of the Southern Timing Association"?

Enjoy the article, folks.  Looks like at Edwards it's so hot that they hardly need the boilers!

Jon,

The information is right on the front page now... :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »
Thanks, Mr. Smarty-pants.  I meant to type that the information is "NOW" on the front page, not "NOT" on the...

I'd go back and correct it -- but I will once again allow myself to provide some humor to those that need fodder for Chat night tonight.  Right now I'm engaged in a treasure hunt:  Where are the keys for the lock on the race trailer?  I'd like to move it in the morning but can't find the danged key set.  I'll keep looking. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
they keep saying   it gets to hot to run   isnt it a steam powered car   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:54 PM »
Willie,

Think cold fusion.... :-D

Offline half-fast

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 11:43:06 PM »
emmmm...how do you qualify for the long course when this is what is required?...and they are shooting for 170 near as I can tell.

"The British Steam Car has fixed gearing between the turbine and the wheels. When the car starts it is in top gear and only manages to pull away because of the incredible torque available from a stem turbine. Weighing 3 tons and starting in top gear means that the car accelerates very slowly toward its top speed. The team need a minimum of 6 miles to make the record attempt, 2.5 miles to accelerate, measure 1mile then decelerate for 2.5 miles, to allow room to accelerate on the return run so, for the record attempt, we required six miles of smooth, flat ( less than 1% gradient) which immediately preclude a record attempt in the UK."

stem turbines?

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:27:03 AM »
emmmm...how do you qualify for the long course when this is what is required?...and they are shooting for 170 near as I can tell.

"The British Steam Car has fixed gearing between the turbine and the wheels. When the car starts it is in top gear and only manages to pull away because of the incredible torque available from a stem turbine. Weighing 3 tons and starting in top gear means that the car accelerates very slowly toward its top speed. The team need a minimum of 6 miles to make the record attempt, 2.5 miles to accelerate, measure 1mile then decelerate for 2.5 miles, to allow room to accelerate on the return run so, for the record attempt, we required six miles of smooth, flat ( less than 1% gradient) which immediately preclude a record attempt in the UK."

stem turbines?

Think FIA and Top Speed Shootout.

J

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:01:36 AM »
The real problem they got in the moment - due to the heat (what heat?)  :roll: they done not the necessary fogging......they only cleaned about 3 of the 6 miles what they need for the course length.....

I have a small problem with that - in 1997 at Black Rock, it was not much colder than the temperature they got in the moment at Edwards - and we done 7 miles fogging during one day......

Looks that the Brits which was with Richard at Black Rock was some numbers thougher  :-D

Hope they got the racer and the track ready, to run them the next days - to my information the timer will leave on the 7th August to make a vacation at Bonneville........mean....to do the job at the salt......  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:31:01 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »
Slim, I "lost" my car keys for about 2 hours one morning. They were in the lock on the drivers side door. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 01:49:19 PM »
The steam car will not make any record attempts until after speed week. They will not be at speed week with the car. They are having teething problems. This was on their daily e-Mail I have been getting. Anyone can sign up.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »
I got today's report on the British Steam Car -- that they made a 77-mph run and quit.  And -- the FIA folks have to leave Edwards to go to Bonneville for SpeedWeek.  That's what the article said -- that they "have" to leave for SpeedWeek, and they'll be available again after the 17th. 

So -- is SpeedWeek going to have FIA runs?  It'd be unusual, I think, but maybe there's something going on I don't know about.  Anyone else hear anything?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »

For Immediate Release:

Edward’s Air Force Base, California: Wednesday 29th July 2009

The British Steam Car Team carries out successful run but delay World Record Attempt

<image002.jpg>
After numerous technical problems, the British Steam Car team successfully carried out its first test run on US soil, yesterday. The team has been working tirelessly to get the car ready for the record attempts to break the century-old world land speed record for steam-powered vehicles.

The team was in position by 7.00am ready for their first run. Test Driver Don Wales was strapped into the 25ft-long car that he has nicknamed “the lean, green, mean machine” – because of the technical issues the team has had to overcome. The goal was to replicate the test programme that took place in April at Thorney Island. The throttle lag was approx 5-7 seconds but it seemed longer as the vehicle accelerated slowly away.

Project Manager Matt Candy said: "We reached 77mph over a very short distance of just 1km which was comparable to our tests at Thorney. We were due to do a high speed return run but the gas rig had trouble refueling and so we had to abort it. We will replace this gas pump tomorrow and resume the testing programme. The software has since confirmed that the vehicle produced more steam on the test run than in the UK, a bypass valve was open for approximately 1/5 of the test and the majority of the steam was wasted. This can be rectified, and knowing that it not performing to its full capacity is really encouraging news, as we can utilize the steam to generate more power than we thought we had.

Despite the successful test run, the team has taken the decision to delay the record attempt to the week commencing 17th August. Candy continued “It’s important that the technical issues with the support rigs are resolved before an attempt is made, and these things can’t be rushed. In addition, the FIA officials have to leave on the 4th August to attend Bonneville Speedweek. However the FIA are free from the 17th August after they have carried out their duties at Bonneville and can join the team at Edwards to calibrate and record the attempts”

The British Steam Car Team hopes to achieve the official FIA Land Speed Record for a steam-powered vehicle. The current official FIA record is 127mph previously set by American, Fred Marriott, driving a Stanley steam car in 1906.

Notes to Editors:
The FIA is the sanctioning body and now recognizes a land speed record as the average speed of two passes made across the same measured distance in opposing directions within 60 minutes of each other. The time of the two runs is then averaged to obtain the official recorded speed.

The team acknowledges the achievements of the "Barber-Nichols Team". Their vehicle 'Steamin' Demon' is currently the fastest steam car in the world. In 1985 The Barber-Nichols Team carried out three successful passes and achieved an American National Record at 145.607mph. There was no attempt to establish an FIA record. However, the British Steam Car Challenge recognized this speed as the record to exceed.

Video footage of the Edwards run which we will upload to the teams website in due course www.steamcar.co.uk

For further information, pictures or interviews please contact Eventageous PR Tel: 01452 260063

Rebecca Nicholls                     Email: Rebecca@eventspr.co.uk
Or
Chris Wall                                Email: chris@eventspr.co.uk

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
Was the Stanley Steamer the fastest car in the world in 1906?  Seems I read something to that effect.
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:35:56 PM »
Kat,

SS held the Auto motive record for a timed mile for almost five years... :cheers:

Steam power... :-D