Author Topic: Museums  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Museums
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:27:37 PM »
SSS. What do you think about starting a section the shows automotive and racing related points of interest around the country. This could give the travelers a place to take a break along the way. There are a lot of them out there and what better way to take advantage of them. If would be best to break it down by states. Just a thought.

One can google automotive museums, That gives world wide museums and a lot of searching.  My idea was to keep it in the states as that's where most are traveling from
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:51:17 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Museum's
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:41:54 AM »
Sterling idea Glen!!  I`ll start - WWW.gilmorecarmuseum.org Located in Hickory Corners Mich. right across the road from floydjer`s machine shop. A must see for all classic car nuts. :cheers: Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Museums
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
Okay  I'll ask all of you folks out there in the Peanut Gallery (the reference comes from the Howdy Doody Show, I think.  Buffalo Bob used to refer to the live studio audience as such.  The kids in the bleachers loved it, I guess, although I've heard stories. . .):

What do you think about Glen's idea of having a listing or page of links or whatever -- to the museums and such in the U.S.?  I don't know that we'd have to limit it to the U.S., even though that's where a majority of the folks on this Forum are and travel through, but it's where this discussion started.  So -- the good points include that it'd give all of us -- who, by virtue of being a member of this Forum are interested in things automotive -- a place to look for and at stuff that might be of interest but isn't necessarily land speed related.  There are other reasons -- maybe you'll offer some to us on this thread so we can better debate the idea.

There are not-good points, too.  First of all -- I don't want landracing.com to become so wide in concept that the main topic gets lost among all of the other stuff that's on the site.  And I don't want the home page -- where many of us start our daily trip to the site -- to get so cluttered and busy that a casual surfer that's looking for something specifically related to land speed racing -- is either flummoxed by the amount of stuff showing at the first glance or is distracted and goes off to a museum or something before ever seeing what we think is most important.

That's my situation, and I'll take your comments to see if there's a groundswell of opinion in either direction - for or against the idea.  Please -- DON'T offer up your selection of museums or other such sites now.  When and if we decide to have this proposed section -- that's when I'll ask for specific sites and locations to list.  For now -- just help decide if it's a good idea in basic form, okay?

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Museum's
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »
How about just a sticky thread in the non-LSR section??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline desotoman

Re: Museums
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
SSS,

I understand where you are coming from, so for the fun of it I just did a Google search for "list of car museums" and came up with all kinds of museums. Some listed by state, some listed by car type, etc. With all of this information available in a Google search, I don't think you would need to make a special listing page or link.

What I would suggest is that if someone runs across something of interest, be it a Museum, Hotel, Diner, or just a good old Rest Stop when out on the road, post it under Non LSR. Just a thought.

FWIW, I like the Peanut Gallery.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.