Author Topic: New user, First possible bike build  (Read 12681 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: New user, First possible bike build
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 06:12:35 PM »
This would be the perfect time to say "Spring for a rule book" That's where most of your questions can be answered.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 06:15:25 PM »
there are over 1000 classes for a motorcycle none of which include a snowmobile or a snowmobile engine--none of the rules for scta are stupid --we may not like them all but we all abide by them--the rules got where they are today by all who passed before us some paying dearly---in the motorcycle classes only motorcycle motors are allowed (otherwise it would be a 2 wheel car) most of the rules other than some basic class rules are safety rules --an open bike is no streamlining--a partially streamlined bike you must see the rider from both sides and from above --if you cant see the rider then you are in the streamliner class --the sidecar class is just a little different but there is only 2 frame classes  SIDECAR and SIDECAR STREAMLINER ---my suggestion is to buy a rule book pick a class that you can build a bike for go race and have fun----you can order a rule book at  www.scta-bni.org  you can also look at all of the classes there and records and minimums for el mirage---if you need help you are welcome to call me at  209 6816876  willie buchta

the 16th and 17th of may is the first race of this year ( SCTA) at el mirage you should attend tech starts friday racing sat and sun  hope to see you there

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:21:13 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
There are over 1850 MC classes in SCTA/BNI. The place to start is with a new 2009 rule book. No one here is putting you down just trying to steer you in the right direction. It would be a shame to show up and never be able to take it off the trailer. The rules are specific and every rule is made for a reason. Come down to El Mirage and talk to the tech. committee, show them what you have or want to build and go from there.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »
Buy a run down beat up Ducati 900ss motorcycle and build a Burt replica.. :cheers:  I believe that was the engine used in the movie in disguise.

Then sell it on EBAY for big money.. :wink:

John

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 06:45:04 PM »
Burns, use it to build a lakester, an exposed wheel car.  You can run any motor you wish... There are motor classes starting at 30 inches and going to an unlimited size.  Look around the site there are several pictures of lakesters.  You will want to hit a class break, or close, your 800cc will need to go 194 on gas, if you used a 750 it would only need to go 163...
Spend some time reading on this site while you wait for your rule book.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
...when you first get in it and look down the track , and your date is screwed up tighter than a hose clamp ...this will all seem like small beer. Compared to all other types of motorsport this is practically "run whatcha brung"...but there are reasonable limits, mostly based on safety.

No-one here is trying to "can" you , quite the opposite, they want you to succeed, but that means staying within the rules....and they've been refined over nearly sixty years.

My vote says 750 bike motor, four wheels .....fan-bleedin'-tastic!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
good luck with whatever route you take.
there are many here to help and advise you.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

slopoke

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:51:23 AM by slopoke »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
It was a car not MC.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »
im not sure---this is only my 3rd year of doing this--but i will tell you this--everyone ive meet so far are great people--most would loan you a part even if you were trying to break their record---pick a class that you can afford--the car class requires about 3000 dollars worth of safety equipment that the bike classes dont ---a streamline motorcycle will require the same safety equipment as a car --once you have picked a class get a plan --parts list--work you will have to farm out--work you can do --and an i dont know list --drawings help--start in the build diaries and post your ideas and drawings get some imput---start building and stick to the plan and we may see you in 2010 at el mirage if your fast maybe world finals this year---if you go to the build diaries and look for "not just another wheel on a stick" you will see a bike that i built for my wife there is a cost sheet there i think about 3100 dollars and i did all of the work except paint ---remember get a plan   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Burns

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 10:40:22 PM »
ok, well then lets look at this, someone mentioned a two-wheel-car class...how about a partially streamlined two-wheel-car?
 and then i can use what motor i want since its technically a car, and its all good? or is there no two-wheel car class?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
ok, well then lets look at this, someone mentioned a two-wheel-car class...how about a partially streamlined two-wheel-car?
 and then i can use what motor i want since its technically a car, and its all good? or is there no two-wheel car class?

NO..

Check your PM's

John

Offline desotoman

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »
Sell the tank and finance a bike project. Get your feet wet. Then after you know the ins and outs you can decide if you want to build a tank.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Burns

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
now thats something i havent thought of yet...honestly, how much do you think i could get for the tank?

Offline jl222

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »
John & Troy Langlo are just down the hill in Clovis. Although they run a car at both Bonneville and El Mirage they may know of some bike racers in the area that could help you out. Johns handle on this website is JL222 send him a PM maybe he can help.

Tom G.

PS. Willie Buchta is on this site and he is in Modesto. He builds and races bikes. Might PM him also.

Brook Waller and Willie are the only lsr motorcycle racers I know around here, but first of all you should be an experienced rider if your planning on riding it.

JL222