Author Topic: New user, First possible bike build  (Read 12677 times)

Offline Burns

• New folks
New user, First possible bike build
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:03:04 PM »
Check this out. Found it in an old barn, and if its not already the perfect shape for a Burt Munro-style bike streamliner, than i dont know what is. The small object laying next to it is a bottle of root beer for comparison since i didnt have a ruler or anything. So far all we really have planned is that we want to use a snowmobile motor, probably a 800 two-stroke two-cylinder motor that my friend has laying around....So basically what we need are ideas, sketches, and comments from experienced builders to help us along...LSR experience is a bit hard to come by in Mariposa CA, so im going here...Anything will be appreciated..Thanks..

Offline desotoman

Re: New user, First possible bike build
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
John & Troy Langlo are just down the hill in Clovis. Although they run a car at both Bonneville and El Mirage they may know of some bike racers in the area that could help you out. Johns handle on this website is JL222 send him a PM maybe he can help.

Tom G.

PS. Willie Buchta is on this site and he is in Modesto. He builds and races bikes. Might PM him also.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:44:06 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
Cool find.

FYI:

If Burt showed up today at an SCTA sanctioned lsr time trial his bike would not be legal for the class he still has the record in nor would it be legal for the partially streamlined classes.

What frame class are you thinking of running it in?

J

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
john beat me to it---and it will require a motorcycle engine   willie buchta  in modesto

BUCHTA =buck tuh   see how easy that is

looks like some good streamlining for my wifes sidecar bike --if you dont use it let me know  209 6816876

in the sidecar class you can do any streamlining you want up until your exit is restricted(whatever that means)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:49:07 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »
john beat me to it---and it will require a motorcycle engine   willie buchta  in modesto

BUCHTA =buck tuh   see how easy that is
s)

When I hit spell checker on your name it tries to correct it to Willie Butcher... :-D

Offline Burns

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »
As far as a frame, i was just going to build a high-speed bike frame, and suit it to a snowmobile engine, but will they really care what type of motor is in it? And as far as Munro entering his bike in current speed trials, i know that it wouldnt pass, seeing as it barely passed in the 60's. I'm not trying to build a replica of his bike, i was just giving an idea as to how it would be set up/how the rider would be positioned in the bike etc. Im not sure what class exactly. I really havent gotten that far yet. Does anybody know what class it would qualify for?

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:03 PM »
As far as a frame, i was just going to build a high-speed bike frame, and suit it to a snowmobile engine, but will they really care what type of motor is in it? And as far as Munro entering his bike in current speed trials, i know that it wouldnt pass, seeing as it barely passed in the 60's. I'm not trying to build a replica of his bike, i was just giving an idea as to how it would be set up/how the rider would be positioned in the bike etc. Im not sure what class exactly. I really havent gotten that far yet. Does anybody know what class it would qualify for?

It would be streamliner only and would need parachutes, roll cage, fire system etc..

Once you are "in" a bike it is a streamliner and when you are "on" the bike it is an open bike..

Burts bike would be neither today..

And yes they care about the engine type in SCTA..

John

Offline Burns

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »
so it wouldnt be anything, and i couldnt run because its got a bitchin' motor...im just looking for the reasoning behind it all...
I understand the streamlined/partially thing, that makes sense, but why wouldnt it qualify for partially streamlined? thats what it is. And as far as the motor, people put fords in chevys and rotarys in toyotas and massive rockets in semi-trucks, so why cant i have a 800 Yamaha in my partially streamlined thing?

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »
Burns,

Check your PM's..(private messages)

Home            Help       Search       Profile       My Messages       Calendar       Members       Logout      

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »
Put 2 more wheels on it and run the sled motor.

Motorcycles must have MC motors.

However there are motorcycle motors of like displacement that can meet or exceed the HP of the sled motor.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »
Johnny,

Hard to make the same power with a four stroke as a two stroke...

Money, time and technology.. :-)

Offline Burns

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »
ok, so for whatever stupid reason, i cant run a sled motor in my bike...
what if i made it a partially streamlined sled?

slopoke

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:26:21 AM by slopoke »

Offline Burns

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »
is there a class for sleds at bonneville? i know that they race them on asphalt drag strips...use a solid track with no "teeth" and put some wheels in place of or onto the skis...they work great at the drags, so is there a class for LSR?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 05:49:15 PM »
Perhaps (but not probably) could run Time Only at SpeedWeek.  But they'd look at it as a streamliner that didn't meet the safety rules and proabably disallow it.

They're under no obligation to run whatever you build.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records