Author Topic: First Timer question about ECTA vintage classification  (Read 2171 times)

Offline davidd

• New folks
First Timer question about ECTA vintage classification
« on: April 18, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »
I have a 500cc vintage motorcycle that I hope to run at the next ECTA meet. I am not sure I understand Rule 7.D.2. As a vintage machine do pushrods and sidevalves run in the same class? It looks that way from the rule, but obviously the record book is separated into Pushrod and Nonpushrod. The class appears to be M/VG or VF according to rule 7, but in the record book these classes appear in the Nonpushrod only. Thanks!

David

Offline MiltonP

Re: First Timer question about ECTA vintage classification
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:04:20 AM »
Welcome to the 500cc world.  It does appear in the rulebook that pushrod/nonpushrod are not seperated in vintage class.  I am guessing it is not a significant factor for 1955 and earlier.  There is nothing stopping you from running for a record in a non-vintage class if it is obtainable with your bike though.  There was a BMW running last season that set some initial records in one, if not both, vintage 500cc classes I believe but they weren't at the first meet this year.  I am sure they will like some competition though!  What are you planning on bringing down.

Offline davidd

• New folks
Re: First Timer question about ECTA vintage classification
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »
Thank you, MiltonP.

I have been reading the forum for a while, but I just noticed that you are in Winchester. I am staying with a friend in White Post. The bike is a 500 Vincent. I have been racing it in AHRMA on and off for a few years. It is not a powerful bike, but it has been very reliable and the handling is excellent.

I enjoyed the April 4 meet and I followed enough tech inspections that I think I can comply without many mods. As I mentioned in the post, the rules do not seem to be very clear about VG and pushrods, but I guess they just report pushrods in the Non Pushrod designation. It doesn't make much sense to me so I thought I should ask.

Thanks again.

David