Author Topic: Toter Home  (Read 15944 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Toter Home
« on: April 17, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
I'm looking to make a camper out of an old Pete or KW cabover.  If I get a car or bike to run, I'd use it to pull a trailer.  What could I expect your fuel mileage with that truck as just a camper, motor detuned?
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
Re: Toter Home
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
figure about 8MPG with 450HP, "but your mileage may vary".

Dave

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »
Make sure you have the commercial Drivers License that is often required to drive those things, even for what we are doing.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »
Justin,

I own a 98 FL60 Frieghtliner toterhome chassis. It has a C 8.3 Cummins 6 cyl. 230hp turbo diesel motor, Allison 6 speed automatic, 2 speed rearend with oh too low gears. (5.43 with 36" tires) If I keep it at 60mph I get 8-12 mpg depending if I am pulling the trailer or not. Trailer is a Stacker type 12' 6" tall, triple axle, two car trailer.

You might look into a small box type cargo truck that has air ride. Isuzu made a great little cabover box type truck that got pretty good mileage. Just a thought.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:31:13 PM »
Make sure you have the commercial Drivers License that is often required to drive those things, even for what we are doing.

I have a class B CDL and an air brake endorsement, lucky!  Sometimes the DOT tries to mess with us for the old top fuel rig that we use for the fueler, even though it's a not for hire, not for money, hobby racing, recreational vehicle.  The owner tried to get the thing 'proper' and the DOT wouldn't let him, because it's not for hire!  Government!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »

You might look into a small box type cargo truck that has air ride. Isuzu made a great little cabover box type truck that got pretty good mileage. Just a thought.

Tom G.

I'll second the Isuzu.  Had one for a work (no air ride), and got about 13-15 mpg with the diesel.  They were also available with the SBC, which, according to a friend of mine, got about 10 mpg but kept up with traffic.

What's really cool is that they've got a tighter turning radius than my old F100, and you can park it in a fairly normal sized space.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:14:51 PM »
Calkins, you are one very busy Dude!

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »
There's two cabovers here I might be able to get cheap, that's why I ask.  Contestant #1 is about an '82 Pete 362 with an 90" bunk and a wounded Cummings and Contestant #2 is about a '75 KW with a 425 Cat, front drive axle removed and a good sized add-on sleeper, which was used in the '80's as part of a fueler setup.  The Pete has been sitting for a couple of years, but the KW has been sitting for almost 20 years.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:40:06 PM »
Justin:

I've got a road tractor for you -- if you'd like to discuss it.  It's a '93 International cabover with single bunk sleeper, 330 hp Detroit diesel, 10 speed trans.  It's an old Wal-Mart unit -- I bought it from them about ten years ago.

I'm planning on selling it this summer -- and would be happy to have it go to a home that's related to racing.  PM me and I'll be glad to discuss the small amount of money that you'll likely pay for it.  The biggest fault right now is the power divider differential is bad, but otherwise it starts, runs, drives, etc.

I'd like to hear from you -- it's got to go away.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
Caulkins,  the later eng SYSTEM you buy the better the fuel mileage potential---on SSS unit you could convert it to single axel by only using the rear one and lengthing the drive shaft---its been awhile since I did it --but its should be fairly straingt forward---just trace out the antilock brake system before you throw to much away!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
Justin:

I just tried sending you a PM -- and it came bouncing back.  It's about the Int'l road tractor.  I've got photos -- but need a working email address to send 'em to you (unless you want me to post them here so everyone can see).

I also have a bunch of other PMs that folks have sent to you.  Would you please be so kind as to email me directly (jonwennerberg(at)nancyandjon.org) so I can be in touch -- and so maybe we can find out why your messages are getting diverted.

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »

A friend of mine converted a diesel tractor to a motorhome and got it reclassified as one at the DMV. This enabled him to avoid the high comercial license fee, not sure on driver license seems weight comes in somewere but motorhome drivers don't have comercial licenses.

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
John,

California has Non Commercial License Classes for RV type Vehicles. Below is what License would be required for different type Vehicles and types of trailers that may be towed with said type Vehicle.

Tom G.

Non Commercial License Classes:

License classes are based on the size of vehicle you wish to drive or the weight of the trailer you wish to tow. No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license, with endorsement.

If you have a Non Commercial Class A license you may drive all vehicles under Class C and you may tow:
any vehicle under Class C or,
a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire, or
a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighing over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.

With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow:
a livestock trailer over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR if the vehicle is operated by a farmer to transport livestock, not for hire, and within 150 miles of his/her farm.

If you have a Non Commercial Class B license you may drive all vehicles under Class C,
a housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement,
and you may tow all vehicles under Class C.

If you have a Class C license you may drive:
any 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less, or
any 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross, or
any house car 40 feet and under, in length.
You may tow:
a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less including a tow dolly, if used.

With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 lbs. gross, or
trailer coach or fifth-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for hire, or
fifth-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for hire and with endorsement.

NOTE: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle. No motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen may tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross. (VC ยง21715)

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »
Here's pictures of the ex-fueler rig.  The vintage is around '75 or so.  Kenworth cabover, add-on double bunk, front drive axle removed.  Sort of what I was thinking, but I wouldn't extend the add-on above the main cab, and I would put skirts on the sides and box in the rear section.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »
And the side..