Author Topic: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211  (Read 57513 times)

HotRodV8

Re: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
:-D  Ray,  read my by-line.  "The Earth is an intergalactic insane asylum."  That shows me where us lsr people stand!     Crow.

Crow -

In this case, allow me to take the liberty of adding a few words to your by-line:

The Earth is an intergalactic insane asylum with two dynamic dissimilar drive trains orbiting it, each orbit controlled by a independent gravitational foot pedal.   LOL   :-D

SPARKY -  Remember to enjoy each day of the build.   :cheers:

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
:-D  Ray,  read my by-line.  "The Earth is an intergalactic insane asylum."  That shows me where us lsr people stand!     Crow.

Crow -

In this case, allow me to take the liberty of adding a few words to your by-line:

The Earth is an intergalactic insane asylum with two dynamic dissimilar drive trains orbiting it, each orbit controlled by a independent gravitational foot pedal.   LOL   :-D

SPARKY -  Remember to enjoy each day of the build.   :cheers:

Now that is the most accurate description for LSR I've heard in a long time!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
Sparky....You have way too much free space in that shop :cheers:J.B
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
I grew up in TX and am use to a lot of space to roam around---what can I say!!!!!!   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »
 This post will attempt to show what  we are trying to accomplish with this TRANS/tire "Miss Match" 

As MM said earlier, I am trying to keep my 2 engines from falling in to their flat spot at the same time--caused by not having a 6 speed trans with something like 1.90 1.48 1.15 .90 .70 .56

someday someone will do the the new GM 6L90E similiar---hopefully most of the ratios have been done---just not in the same trans

2.14 Gear set both ends

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:19:05 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »
Went to LA for the SCTA banquet.  Picked up my rebuilt original 509 motor from Mike La Fevers at Mitech and had a great lunch visit.  Went  by Taylor Made Wheels to visit with Taylor and Chuck about new wheels.  After talking to Tom in M&H' Tech assistance I have decided to order 5 on 5  18x6 wheels and run 30s on the front and 26s on the rear.  Hopefully we know the final configuration soon.  After  having Lee Kennedy review my cage drawings at the banquet. I now feel comfortable with starting the cage.
We will need to rough the cage to see if we can get in and out of this thing and keep it inside the design parameters of the outer skin.

Offline Chaz

• STRANGE DAYS GARAGE Satisfaction considered
    • Bellytank Build
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »
 I gotta see this one! Folks think OUR design is nuts, so if you are on the salt at the same time you'll draw all the attention and we can slip by. :-D
  I really like the ideas you're putting out there. I forsee a lot of dialing in time, but hey .... Its a journey!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
We are hoping we learned enough with the first car we dont attract quite so much attention as we did with RATICAL  :-D

We have the 4x8 build table done and 2 , 1/2 plywood tires that we will be building the cockpit on.

Will be  off to buy several sticks of 2 x .120 dom for the upper and lower tubes.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2010, 11:36:08 PM »
This weekend at the Gear Grinders Banquet I had a great vist with lots of fellow GGs. Jim Miller was there and got to send lots of time asking about our new cage.  We feel confident enough with what he and Lee are looking for to start bending and tacking to see if we can get in and out.  If he told me once he told me 10 times---PUT EVERTING ON INCLUDING THE HANS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy oh boy!! Being an Aggie we bent the first tube --- then read the instruction manual! Tommorrow for lunch we will be having BOOKS, scalloped potatos, and ham. lol

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
First tube will form the back of the drivers area, and the back tube of the helment cage.  The cross tube will form the seat back there will be another as soon as we are satisfied that this is what we want.  From the center of the frtaxe the frt will extend 96" the outside of the hoop is 25" wide the inside will be 21" the top of the cage will be 34" AGL. The lower tube is 36" outside this is what we are trying to package.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:38:35 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2010, 09:13:52 PM »
Sparky, just a couple of things.

First, I'm hoping that the tube running into the centre of the cross tube is just a temporary item. I never like something like that pointing straight at the driver's back. I'd rather see supports at both ends of the cross tube.

Second, before you start welding, clean the end of each tube where it's prepared to saddle the other tube. Also clean the area on the second tube where the first tube is being welded to. A wire brush mounted on a bench grinder works really well. If there's any oil on the tubing it's worth removing it with lacquer thinner or acetone.

The quality of the welds will be much better. It's worth the extra effort when your life depends on those welds.

Pete

Offline hitz

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Whatever you clean the inside of the tubing with ,I would strongly recommend washing the inside with detergent and rinsing with water.Warming the tube afterward will dry it and if you rinse with a little soap left in the the rinse water it will help keep it from rusting right away. The fumes aren't so dangerous as petroleum products when you weld. If you drill holes near the end of the tubes you will have an easier time closing up the end of the weld. I use a #55 drill and close the tube up with small drive rivets. Some people oil the inside of the tubes with a special oil/varnish mixture if they don't expect to weld on it again. Have fun.

Harv
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:31:04 PM by hitz »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
Thanks guys!!!!!!!The seat back will have 2 tubes like the single diagonal one we have for spacing and trying the clearance for the helmet and such. we plan on completely having this thing tacked and take to El M to be inspected. THEN taking it completely apart, beveling, cleaning then welding. We have a least one gas vent hole drilled under each tube joint now. 

PS.  The dom we are using is 6 years old and has some rust on it. We are spraying with WD 40 and buffing with a paint scratch pad---also we are using some lithium poly sulfate wheel brg grease trying to protect the follower dies---nasty---all because we can save $1.63 per linear ft.---so much for Scottish heritage
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:29:56 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »
Perfect Sparky! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
Sparky,

I found some Gas Pedals for you.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.