Author Topic: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211  (Read 57242 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2009, 11:48:12 AM »
This is the Rats Nest befor the build starts. :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »
Now that looks like a shop -- although it's got lots more room by our standards.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2009, 11:53:23 AM »
I have had some ask about more details on 2 pass "The Radiator in a Box" heat exchanger
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:05:55 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
The only thing that is not shown is the iternal dividers and the external fittings that control the external coolant that will be pumped through the box in the opposite direction of the eng coolant and the two pumps that let me empty the box so that when I warm up the eng only the eng coolant is being warmed.  I hope this helps

Offline Bville701

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
Sparky, we have done something similar with our radiator. I'll see if I can find some pics and I will post them later. I think you have some very good ideas right here.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »
Thanks,  I am sure it isn't original---but it sure lets me control the eng temp better!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:56:01 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Crosley

« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2009, 12:57:37 PM »
The gear ratio - engine plan is interesting.  Sparky and I have discussed gear ratios of various transmittins, he had  interesting thoughts on them as folks now know here.

it's gonna be fun with the new build  and testing   

what was that one phrase muttered ?  " How did Sparky get that car  over 3?"  ( posted tongue in cheek)  :-D
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
Sparky,
I like your heat exchanger idea and have been planning to do the same for the small lakester I am designing right now. It sure beats building a big tank that has to be able to run at 15-20 psi. What are the dimensions of your double pass radiator?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »
Rex outside of tank to outside 19" W x 22" L      hose fitting sticks out 2.5" from tank end.  I had an extra charge for having  the hose fittings put into what would normally be the side of the tank.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
Rex, Check out the AFCO scirocco style double pass radiator. My outer box/tank is 14" x 23" x 5". You can get it in left or right side inlet/outlet.  About $220 from Summit. Works in the streamliner great.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »
Sparky and Doug,
I am planning to run Suzuki GSXR motors so my cooling requirements will not be even close to what you need running big engines. My thinking is that doing the cooling this way the actual "radiator", because it is doing water to water heat exchanging, probably doesn't need to be very large. I need to dig out some of my heat exchanger info and do some sizing.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
I did water to water because I didn't want any air getting into the car except what it takes to run the motor.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
How can coach potatoes, which are watching soap opera's, call himself normal and us crazy - may be we are normal and the other never learned to live......  :roll:

Great observation, Pork.  All I know about "normal" is that it's a setting on my washing machine.  Other than that, I'm doing my best to enjoy my insanity and not suffer from it.  :)

I thought I was on the page with Sparky until the two dissimilar motor/tranny thing came up...not to mention a throttle for each foot.  It gives me a headache just thinking about it.  I dunno about you, Sparky, but after driving vehicles with manual transmissions, my ingrained thinking pattern tells me to push the left pedal to the floor to shift and especially if anything out of the ordinary happens...like a spin.  I hope you never get the chance to test this out. I can't even picture driving that way...but isn't that the way tracked vehicles work? 

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
Triet's project 550 has a single throttle that is split down the middle so Les can control the engines by rocking his foot. It's really neat. Les designed and machined it as well as other driver controls and injectors. This car has to be seen to believe the construction and detail of a master builder Jim Hume.

I am not putting down Sparky's ideas as that's what LSR is all about to build something to go fast.
Everyone has different thoughts and what works for one may not for others.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:24:07 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »
 :-D  Ray,  read my by-line.  "The Earth is an intergalactic insane asylum."  That shows me where us lsr people stand!     Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!