Author Topic: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211  (Read 57248 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 09:36:14 PM »
L Qubed  :? or L to the 3rd power 8-)  ---ie ---Lovely Luscious Linda :-D  you are 2, II, much  love ya darlin 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

HotRodV8

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
1 st gear at same time  2 shift levers 2 throttles one for each foot.

In all seriousness, I'm loving this thread. A proven back yarder with big records acts on some gut instincts and comes up with a left field design with the bare essentials and a close eye on the basic principles....Low drag and a different approach to getting power down

I'm guessing there's a few pundits adopting a wait and see before they comment.....because it doesn't fit what everybody else is doing, and it doesn't look like the current fastest car....

What I want to know is where do I put my money on it?

SPARKY --
From what you are telling us about the trannies, I'm overwhelmed. I think Dr. Goggles said it best above.

I do have some double engine experience and I'll be the second one to put some money down to back up Dr. Goggles. I like it cause it is different and should be big fast.

Is there any history of Tech dealing with double throttles?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
This sounds like one of those builds that when all the quirks are out of it,

Guys and Gals

we have a "JOURNEY" ahead of us---so far we have taken 1 or 2  small, small steps---  I have enjoyed the NOODLE time and am enjoying this and will enjoy the BUILD>  only TRACK time will tell if I am a  dunce or a fast scholar of lsr :-D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:01:52 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
Marlo's project 550 has duel throttles.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
Marlo's project 550 has duel throttles.

with 4 cables on one pedal....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jdincau

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:20 AM »
Stainless, do you know why 4 cables with two engines? Just curious.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »
Sparky,
It will be with great intersest and anticipation that I will be following your streamliner build. As much as I admire and am boggled at the sophistication of "Project 550" liner I can't even begin to think about the development time it will take to get it running, I am expecting a much simpler and straight forward device from you. One that will have plenty of proven power, one built with a certain cost level limit, and a car that will probably be much more representitive of what we "normal" people could build. I do know a couple of things about your project even before you lay the first tube: 1. It will be fast. 2.You will have fun!!! and so will we.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »
Rex  I think that you may be considered suspect by some of lumping me in with the NORMAL people  :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
No, Sparky, that's the beauty of the statement -- you get to make up your own personal definition of "normal".  If you want it to be just as you are -- then all the rest of the world is abnormal and you're the only one with your head on straight.

Merry Christmas.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
Stainless, do you know why 4 cables with two engines? Just curious.
Jim
I`m not Bob (I`ve never even played him on T.V.) But, I wonder if the two "extra" cables are used to manually close the throttles.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:56:09 PM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »
Wow,  how rewarding to be, "be normal", of course it was after Jon' the afore mentioned "self check"   :-D  

it is for sure that other than inspriation the closest that Hume will will be to 2 II will be if my build and their build thread happen to fall on the same page in the build diaries!!!  

The actual builing does give one a great sense of accomplishment as the various parts are NOODLED out and turned to Metal!!!!

Offline Crosley

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »
as I recall Garlits said when he was developing the rear top fuel engine car , he learned the steering  had to be slowed down for proper control.

So , the faster you travel , the less steering input to bring the car back in line safely?

in case that wasn't sarcasm...

If you give a vehicle the same steering input at 60 as you do at 120, the car jumps twice as far and upsets it twice as much.  The faster you go the lighter you hold the wheel.  You know you're doing it right when you aren't even thinking about it, and would swear you just held the wheel straight up the whole time.  You'll look at a video and realize you were actually steering.  If you have a death grip on the wheel, you are going to have problems.

IMO.

no sarcasm.  Fastest I have traveled is 150mph on two wheels ( motorcycle) in 1979  on asphalt.

At Bonneville , I am a spectator   
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
Sparky,
Define "normal" as related to someone that builds a car to run at Bonneville. It is someone that invest to much money, to much time, to much effort all to run a "car" that can only go straight and only runs once or twice a year and calls it fun. I see that as normal for Bonneville guys and I think you fit pretty well!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »
Touche Rex!  :-o that just about gets it!!!!! :-D :cheers:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »
How can coach potatoes, which are watching soap opera's, call himself normal and us crazy - may be we are normal and the other never learned to live......  :roll:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)