Author Topic: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211  (Read 57233 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »
GM had QuadraSteer at higher speeds in the trailering mode, the frt. and rear tires steered the same direction. When you made a lane change you moved over into the next lane as opposed to driving over into the next lane.

I wish to keep this build as Simple (except for EFI and data logging) with as many production automotive components as possible. This project will be beingeneered  :cheers: :cheers: and is sponsered by TKI.

I was a truck salesman, I am helped by my next door neighbor Andy a Chef, Joey a coffee roaster, Dave a retiree, and Pork Pie  in Germany, and Terry Mouer a machinist in Hebron In. [ who made the hubs for the Lakester that solved the scrub radius problem we had]. WE have a dire need for a TECH guy---anyone know of a computer literate gearhead that lives in Phoenix that might be subject to SALT FEVER????
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:19:11 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »
Sparky --

Are you planning to hook the motors together, electronically or physically?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
WE have a dire need for a TECH guy---anyone know of a computer literate gearhead that lives in Phoenix that might be subject to SALT FEVER????

Might want to elaborate on this, and many computer issues could be dealt with no matter where in the world somebody is.

Are you looking for a CAD person or an IT type person?  I'm not IT, and that is a weak point of mine.  I do start AutoCAD classes in January, might be fun to work on something real once I get back up to speed (I've done a little bit of real drafting and computer drafting before)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 02:54:51 PM »
The motors will be be connected at the Salt only by the tires-- will share a common oil tank & fuel tank, maybe a common fuel pump. We will be running dissimilar displacements and trannies, two different ECUs.

stockjohn thanks for the offer.-----We need the tech guy to live in Phoenix area so HE OR SHE can install,wire and keep up withthe the TECH SYSTEMS and be able to go to the race and down load every thing..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:56:50 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline stratman59

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »
Sparky,

http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/wb_aux_box.htm

We use the DL-32 data logger its simple to wire and not to bad to download info to the computer. I don't know personally but have been told the FAST EFI stuff is good too.
If you can wire a MSD the data logger stuff should be no problem.

Robbie

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »

So, what do you folks think? Am I completely full of crap here?  :cheers:

Whizz, Yep  :cheers:
Airplanes fly crabbed to help keep the wings level without fighting the controls, there is no traction to contend with in the air.... many get very straight when the trucks hit the ground, others deal with it in complicated ways, but that is a story on its own.  Any movement of the axles steers the vehicle.... the only thing you want steering the vehicle is the driver, and only where the driver wants it to go.  It can't weather vane... the drive wheels, front and/or would input unwanted steering if it did.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

HotRodV8

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
"Am I completely full of crap?"

WhizzbangK - -

No crap, just full of good suggestions. The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress bicycle landing gear had the ability to pivot as much as 20 degrees during crosswind landings. It worked OK and it is still flying today.

However, the idea is moot because Sparky felt he didn't want things to get that complicated. I think he made a good choice.

Sparky, I'm intrigued on hearing how the car is put together. Remember to have fun everyday of the build.

HotRodV8

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2009, 11:15:25 AM »
"dissimilar displacements and trannies."

SPARKY - -

Since you will be running dissimilar engine displacements, can you elaborate on the different sizes (what and why)?

Plus, will you be shifting the two transmissions at the same time?

And sorry for my lack of salt experience, what are ECUs?

McRat

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
ECU - Engine Control Unit, aka ECM, PCM.

Engine control computers:  The scurge of racing with late model engines.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
ECU - Engine Control Unit, aka ECM, PCM.

Engine control computers:  The scurge of racing with late model engines.

:?

That's how GM gets the big HP numbers.  Also how, at Hot Rod Drag Week, a (nominally) '70's Pinto 4-banger covered ALL of the small blocks by more than a second and ALL NA big blocks by nearly a second and got on the cover of Hot Rod with the headline "1000 HP & 25 MPG". 

Electronic Engine Control is where you get your modern horsepower.

YMMV, especially if you run 1930's design carbs on your 4-banger.   :cheers:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »
HR   one of the engs is made out of reconditioned parts that I had from earlier blown engs. The ECU is an earlier non data recording one
I have a PG/GV/GV and a AT 400/GV  . into 1 st gear at same time  2 shift levers 2 throttles one for each foot.

509 FRT 30"               565      Rear 25"          Speed of shift
            2.14                     2.14                               MPH
Shifts    AT400               PG & 2 gear vendors             
1          2.48                    1.76                                  25
2           1.48                                                          135
3                                    1.00                                 150 
4           1.00                                                          225           
5    od                              .78                                 280
6             .78           od                                           335
7                           od/od  .61                                 360

changed due to packaging and sequencing issues  now both trans units will now be similiar in length
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:34:05 AM by SPARKY »

McRat

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
Engine control computers:  The scurge of racing with late model engines.
...Electronic Engine Control is where you get your modern horsepower...
When they are good, they are very, very good, when they are bad they are most naughty...   :-P  Our truck uses the same ECM as the Vette.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
1 st gear at same time  2 shift levers 2 throttles one for each foot.

Fantastic!, it's gonna be like playing a pipe organ Sparky...I trust that at any spare moment you are currently rubbing your head and patting your belly?

In all seriousness, I'm loving this thread. A proven back yarder with big records acts on some gut instincts and comes up with a left field design with the bare essentials and a close eye on the basic principles....Low drag and a different approach to getting power down

I'm guessing there's a few pundits adopting a wait and see before they comment.....because it doesn't fit what everybody else is doing, and it doesn't look like the current fastest car....

What I want to know is where do I put my money on it?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
     509  FRT       565       Rear
            2.14                 2.14
Shifts    PG               AT 400
1          1.76                 2.48
2                                1.48
3          1.00
4                                 1.00     
5             .78                  .78
               both  Gear Vendors
  FDR        1.67                1.67   
:-o
Should be able to pull right through any holes in your power bands.  This is ingenious.
Fantastic!, it's gonna be like playing a pipe organ Sparky...
The big difference is that you can TUNE a big block, although it could well LOOK like a pipe organ under the skin.  Think about how this is going to sound once the gears start changing.  When the harmony stops, and both engines are singing in unison, that's when it'll start getting serious.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
This sounds like one of those builds that when all the quirks are out of it, I'm gonna be watching go past Land's End during the Shootout!!  :cheers:   Bring it on, Baby!!!   :-D  I can hoot, holler, dance around, jump up and down in front of spectators with the best of 'em!!!  Go Get 'Em Sparky!!!

(I love when the roar jiggles my belly!)

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!