Author Topic: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211  (Read 57240 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »
Pork Pie and and I were visiting in 08 and I told him I wanted to build a simple car that could take advantage of the skin from tanks that I HAD,  this is what we came up with.  Now it remains to be seen if we can make something "we all" might recognize when we get through with it here in my back yard ---we hope to have web site where we can post photos to soon.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:50:26 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »
This is sorta what it may look like
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline mkilger

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
hay Sparky  you got room for one more engine in there  :roll:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »
Good point...ya might be able to make it a 3-motored liner.  Are ya goin after Nearburg's records?  AA/GS looks "doable."

Go get 'em, man!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »
Hey Sparky,
 What are you using for solid design software?
Also PM sent.

Rob
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
no we dont---that mid bay will be full of STUFF like two heat exchangers, an oil tank for both engs, a fuel tank for both,  a plenum area for each eng. and maybe water for each eng.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:05:31 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »
Bloc Cuadriculado ---ie a 1/4" sq in scale planning pad that I switch back and forth with a sq. representing 2" and 6" and the shop floor, the lakester, and varius components,  with a 30 ft tape. a st. edge and a compass.

Pork Pie is the one playing with his computer that makes us look like we may know what we are doing.  Thank you PP.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:07:03 PM by SPARKY »

Offline stratman59

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
Sparky,

Thats a neat looking set up.
Thanks for sharing.

Robbie

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »
Robbie,,

Them guys Pork Pie and Sparkey  sure have them fancy design tools,,, Makes our plain white paper, a protractor and a #2 pencil look old fashioned,  LOL

Sparky, PP  keep us updated,,,, looks pretty cool

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
no we dont---that mid bay will be full of STUFF like two heat excangers, a oil tank for both engs, a fuel tank for both,  a plenum area for each eng. and maybe water for each eng.

Both engines sharing a common oil source?  Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but if one were to go, don't you risk contaminating both with shavings?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »
I run an Oberg on the return line now and another one in the feed line now and conventional one before it goes into the block.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »
Cajun Kid,
I use the same level of technology as you do, it's called "Pencil CAD" been doing it for over 40 years. I have a drafting board next to the area that I build stuff in and when I get stuck I get out the scale, T square and no. 2 and work it out. If you recognize the name Adrian Newley, the designer of the Red Bull Formula One car, you will be happy to know that he still uses a pencil and drafting board and leaves the CAD work to the "bit" heads.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline hitz

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2009, 12:36:02 AM »
Sparky,
  I see you have a signature Pork Pie vertical stabilizer! :-)  Looks slick. Have fun building it.

Rex,
  Concrete floor, soap stone and full size scale in use here.

Harvey

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2009, 06:17:25 AM »

Pork Pie is the one playing with his computer that makes us look like we may know what we are doing.  Thank you PP.

I don't know what I'm doing  :-D this d...n computer shows all this picture and I simple make a copy for Sparky.....  :roll:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »
Since you're in the design concept phase of this build, do you mind if I throw out a thought that's been bouncing around in the empty space between my ears for a while? Please keep in mind that I'm a bike guy with very little LSR experience even in that, and feel free to discard anything I may come up with, like I said, it's just a thought.  :-)

Side wind forces are always a concern, since it is impossible to plan on getting a run with absolutely no wind. Side winds have the effect of creating uneven aerodynamic forces side to side and destabilizing the vehicle, and possibly adding drag as well. Aircraft deal with this problem by "crabbing" in flight, keeping the air flow straight down the fuselage and the forces balanced.

Why shouldn't streamliners be designed to do the same thing? If the rear suspension was designed like the front, with provisions for the wheels to have a small amount of self steering, it would allow the car to "weather vane" and self adjust to small side winds that are encountered during the run.

Of course, for this to work and be safe, the caster, camber, and toe would all need to be carefully thought out, and the total steering angle would have to be very limited, with the action heavily damped to prevent it from going into a tail wagging situation. The actual steering would still be done by the front wheels, and no doubt the driver would experience a different sensation with the rear of the vehicle moving off center, but probably not any worse than that of driving a car down a gravel road.

A 4MPH side wind at 200MPH would be a 2% ratio, and it would get smaller as speed increased. Allowing the rear of the vehicle to "weather vane" just a couple of degrees to either side would seem to be enough to maintain airflow straight down the body, which would eliminate side loading on the tires and potentially make the vehicle more stable, if my idea is any where close to right.

So, what do you folks think? Am I completely full of crap here?  :cheers:

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams