Landracing Forum Home
May 22, 2018, 04:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211  (Read 31282 times)
desotoman

Modified Roadster

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »

Sparky,

Not trying to hijack your thread but here is a neat video of John Cobb's car showing how far up front he did sit, for anyone who has not seen it.  I believe this car was 4 wheel drive.

Tom G.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:37:28 PM by desotoman » Logged

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.
racergeo

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »

I'd like to put in my 2 cents as I have a front wheel drive and I am just now getting used to driving it. Last Oct. at WF I figured out that I was trying to make corrections too quickly and that I was leading to my serpentening down the course. It gives the powers that be some concern when you are going from one side to the other. I read about Garlets having trouble with his first rear engine car and how he slowed his steering down about 50% and the rest is history. I determined that I would put about half of the steering into a correction as my brain said too and wait an extra second to see where I was on the course. This corrected the problem almost entirely. Now I am going to remount my steering arms about an inch closer to the center line of my steering gear to mechanically slow my steering even further. It is so easy to over steer a car that is making a mile in about 13 seconds. I also think I put a little to much caster in my car and would run about 4% max if I had it to do over. I think your concept sounds fast and that is what matters!!! Front where you sit the widest, narrowing to a point at the rear like a wing. Sweet!
RayTheRat

Just me and the camera

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »

I'm lookin forward to following the progress on this, Sparky.  It sounds like a very kool and somewhat unorthodox setup. 

Remember: I knew ya back when you were just one of the guys camped at the Bend.  And look what happened.  Smiley

I think yer gonna do fine...do ya have any visual concept stuff to share with us?  Like something drawn on the back of a napkin from yer favorite watering hole?

SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »

Guys,  dont worry about hijacking--its all good cheers

I have driven the 60 vans, cab over trucks, bale wagons where you sit way out front and flew countless hours in sailplanes in a very similiar position, and thousands of landings in a taildragger as a tow pilot---

R-GO I can appreciate what you have learned. RATICAL before the new hubs, hunted the entire run!!!!!!!  I would not have even thought of letting someone else drive it  the way it use to drive.  T

The 2 II will have a Very slow ratio and very little wheel movement will not be able to tow or push---- will haul everywhere

I think McRat is correct  you are looking 1 mile down the track and you are gently heardingthe cat down the track!!!!  

Glen I had a C 185 for a number of years---it was rear steer.  I had the distinct impression that it tried me on with each landing just to
see if I was paying attention.  

I try to be a reading & thinking man who is a street racer at heart--AS someone from down under said it is about minimizing ALL drag and Maximizing tractive effort.

I want to try to go fast by addapting simel things, parts and ideas that are commonly availabe and have a lot of fun doing it !!!!!!!!!!  

AS someone from down under said it is about minimizing ALL drag and Maximizing tractive effort.

Guys again take this thread where ever you want to ---for the odds of you seeing some of the outstanding leading edge engineering as seen on other builds is  VERY VERY slim.  cheers cheers

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
Stainless1
Administrator

Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele Wichita, Kansas

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »

Actually I looking forward to seeing some of that deceptive looking trailing edge engineering and technology that makes the big boys say "Subaru, how the hell did he go that fast with that thing" .... again

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »

SS 1  we will just have to wait and see  cool

in the mean time  Is there any one who has some low teen deg. spreadport BBC heads that would like to trade for  fast ride in an ugly car?Huh? grin

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »

sorta

* Frontvie_03052009[1].jpg (161.94 KB, 2000x1065 - viewed 251 times.)

Bville701

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »

I like it Sparky!!!     cheers

Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member
Crosley

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »

as I recall Garlits said when he was developing the rear top fuel engine car , he learned the steering  had to be slowed down for proper control.

So , the faster you travel , the less steering input to bring the car back in line safely?

Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"
RayTheRat

Just me and the camera

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 11:44:45 PM »

Toadly Ossum!!  That view of the frontal area looks fast already!  Smiley

McRat

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 11:46:21 PM »

as I recall Garlits said when he was developing the rear top fuel engine car , he learned the steering  had to be slowed down for proper control.

So , the faster you travel , the less steering input to bring the car back in line safely?

in case that wasn't sarcasm...

If you give a vehicle the same steering input at 60 as you do at 120, the car jumps twice as far and upsets it twice as much.  The faster you go the lighter you hold the wheel.  You know you're doing it right when you aren't even thinking about it, and would swear you just held the wheel straight up the whole time.  You'll look at a video and realize you were actually steering.  If you have a death grip on the wheel, you are going to have problems.

IMO.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:53:50 PM by McRat » Logged
Peter Jack

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 12:43:20 AM »

Looks fast standing still Sparky! grin

Pete
Skip Pipes

I hate being bipolar, its awesome!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 02:54:51 AM »

Im no expert at this; however, Ive learned to never underestimate tenacity (stubbornness).

Prior success is the best indicator of future success, so I think Sparky will get it done and well be amazed how simple hell make it.   

Skip " the Goose Hunter "
WE FEAR NO FOWL
PorkPie

think fast.....always

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 06:36:55 AM »

Don't forget,

two of the fastest wheeldriven cars on earth was built with a so seat position - Cobb's Railton and the Bluebird CN7 from Donald Campbell. the Bluebird had a final speed of 445 mph when he left the fourth mile......Cobb and Campbell proved that it is possible.  wink

The other thing is the rear end - why taking care about moving rear end - get the rear end nailed on the point by aerodynamic shape and the problem isn't a problem anymore...... cheers
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:43:49 AM by PorkPie » Logged

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member
wolcottjl

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 07:54:04 AM »

Railton Image without body work showing seating position in front.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/images/land_speed_record/railton_mobil_special.jpg

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: