Author Topic: Crosley 1010  (Read 7386 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Crosley 1010
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »
I met a very nice man last year at Maxton as he was unloading a beautiful little race car called a Crosley. I'm sure many of you have seen this car at various LSR venues. This car was finished off with the finest detailing I had ever seen on a LSR car. The car is powered by a 45 ci 4 cylinder motor and is capable of top speeds around a 100mph. I was surprised at the level of workmanship put into a car that's not extremely fast by today's standards, but thought it was an absolutley beautiful job. I saw the car race both times I was at Maxton last year and ran into the car in Bonneville in August.

This past race weekend, I saw the owner and car at Maxton again, but there was a difference I noticed from last year. The difference wasn't in the car, but in my own perception of the car. I observed the "Roman's" above the car number 1010 and told the owner I was familiar with the passage. He offered to show me the story of the car with some videos he had in his truck and a magazine article that was written about him in a recent issue of "Paducah Life" magazine.

Needless to say, his story was very moving and I found out the car was born from personal heartache, love and a committment to greater things. The car was built as a tribute to his son and as part of a mission the bring young people to the Church.

I would invite you to visit his website to see the build gallery and to watch the You tube videos below. The man's name is Gerald Davenport and he lives near me in Paducah Kentucky.

http://www.crosley1010.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFMMq7GHOq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiIebe2-hbk
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Crosley 1010
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »
Thanks for sharing. J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing very nice.  I've seen it it but didn't know the story.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:23:32 AM »
Or own Bob Steele (Stainless1) helped with the project. 1010 was one of their numbers for class change. Gerald called and told him of his plan and asked if he could borrow the number, they told him it was his and transferred that number to him.  :cheers:
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »
I can't take credit for this... It was a Mountain States Automation Racing Team decision, Marty, Kevin, Johnboy (speedlimit1000) and I decided to give them the number.  It is something I think any Bonneville racer would have done  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline t russell

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »
He is one of the best people I have meet.I look forward to seeing him at Maxton.
His workman ship is flawless.
terry

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:48:11 PM »
My wife and I saw the coupe run, what, 6 or 7 years ago, and chatted briefly with Gerald.  We didn't talk long enough to get the story behind the car, so I'm glad I took the time to visit the links. 

As well built as the coupe was, this looks like Gerald has raised the bar.  Beautiful car.

Go get 'em.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:35:24 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: